HELP! No Internet connection after failed update of Win XP SP3

cia81

HELP! No Internet connection after failed update of Win XP SP3
I tried to install the update of Windows XP (Home) Service Pack 3.0 yesterday
but somehow halfway through I got an error message that the update could not
be completed successfully and had to be cancelled. I had to click ok on that
and it started uninstalling SP 3.0 and finally left me with a message saying
that the old Windows XP version has been restored, the message ending with
"and it may not work properly"...
I use a wireless network and noticed that the wireless function on my laptop
was turned off when the error occured, so that would of course make the
update stop. But I just left the laptop alone after it started the update and
certainly didn't switch off the wireless function! I actually wasn't even in
the room at the time the error occured... I assume the update must have
amended something that disrupted the wireless function and so switched it
off...
Anyway, I switched it on after the update was cancelled and everything
seemed normal (it showed I was connected to my LAN network). But when I
opened the internet browser (Internet Explorer 7.0) it just showed the page
cannot be displayed.
I restarted my laptop and after starting up again it seemed to try to
install something. There were a few black DOS windows popping up and
disappearing and a small window saying something like "Preparing to
install...". That window disappeared after a few seconds and everything
seemed normal again. But I still didn't get a connection to the internet when
opening the web browser.
I did a few more restarts and the "Preparing to install" window kept popping
up each time and also switched the wireless on and off. It always shows that
I'm connected to my LAN network when it's switched on but I'm still not
connected to the internet (The wireless modem is on and seems to be working
fine, so that can't be the reason)
I just want to restore the system to the time before I did that update as it
was still woking perfectly then. I tried to use System Restore through the
"Help and Support" page to set it back to a restore point before that update,
but when I click on System restore on that page nothing opens.
Should I maybe use the recovery CD that came with the laptop? And can I
restore the system without losing all my data on it?

Sorry about this rather primitive long description of the error. But I hope
someone might still know what's wrong and how I can get windows working
properly again.
I don't have any more information about my system at the moment as I
obviously can't use my laptop now to post something on the internet.

I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks a lot!
Joan Archer

Re: HELP! No Internet connection after failed update of Win XP SP3
See if anything among this lot helps with your problems.
----------
Installing SP3 Notes

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3):
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296
Installation Guide

Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful
installation -http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Internet Explorer and WinXP SP3
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33210

XP SP3: Post Installation Cleanup
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33827

XP SP3: IMPORTANT SUPPORT INFORMATION
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33244

If you run into problems during or after the installation, these may help:

XP SP3: "Fixed" Reboot Loop / Safe Mode Only after Install
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33241

XP SP3 Installation Failure Troubleshooter
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33295

XP SP3: Registry Corruption & Norton SymProtect
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33522

XP SP3: Hotfix - Device Manager and Network Connections
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=34129

XP SP3: FIX -- Svchost.exe Uses 100% CPU Resources
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33303

XP SP3: Problems? How To Uninstall Service Pack 3
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33246

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Windows, A+
http://dts-l.net/

--
Joan Archer
http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

"cia81" <cia81@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> "Help and Support" page to set it back to a restore point before that
> update,
> but when I click on System restore on that page nothing opens.
> Should I maybe use the recovery CD that came with the laptop? And can I
> restore the system without losing all my data on it?
>
> Sorry about this rather primitive long description of the error. But I
> hope
> someone might still know what's wrong and how I can get windows working
> properly again.
> I don't have any more information about my system at the moment as I
> obviously can't use my laptop now to post something on the internet.
>
> I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks a lot!

cia81

Re: HELP! No Internet connection after failed update of Win XP SP3
Thanks, but all these seem to involve installing something from a website. As
my problem is that I don't have access to the internet from my laptop any
more, I can't do any of this...

"Joan Archer" wrote:

> [...]
> > was still woking perfectly then. I tried to use System Restore through the
> > "Help and Support" page to set it back to a restore point before that
> > update,
> > but when I click on System restore on that page nothing opens.
> > Should I maybe use the recovery CD that came with the laptop? And can I
> > restore the system without losing all my data on it?
> >
> > Sorry about this rather primitive long description of the error. But I
> > hope
> > someone might still know what's wrong and how I can get windows working
> > properly again.
> > I don't have any more information about my system at the moment as I
> > obviously can't use my laptop now to post something on the internet.
> >
> > I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks a lot!

Re: HELP! No Internet connection after failed update of Win XP SP3
If you live in the US or CA, call this number for free & unlimited WinXP SP3
installation & compatibility support: 1-866-234-6020.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

cia81 wrote:
> [...]
> was still woking perfectly then. I tried to use System Restore through the
> "Help and Support" page to set it back to a restore point before that
> update, but when I click on System restore on that page nothing opens.
> Should I maybe use the recovery CD that came with the laptop? And can I
> restore the system without losing all my data on it?
>
> Sorry about this rather primitive long description of the error. But I
> hope
> someone might still know what's wrong and how I can get windows working
> properly again.
> I don't have any more information about my system at the moment as I
> obviously can't use my laptop now to post something on the internet.
>
> I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks a lot!

cia81

Re: HELP! No Internet connection after failed update of Win XP SP3
Thanks, but I live in Ireland. Is there any free phone number for Ireland?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > it
> > was still woking perfectly then. I tried to use System Restore through the
> > "Help and Support" page to set it back to a restore point before that
> > update, but when I click on System restore on that page nothing opens.
> > Should I maybe use the recovery CD that came with the laptop? And can I
> > restore the system without losing all my data on it?
> >
> > Sorry about this rather primitive long description of the error. But I
> > hope
> > someone might still know what's wrong and how I can get windows working
> > properly again.
> > I don't have any more information about my system at the moment as I
> > obviously can't use my laptop now to post something on the internet.
> >
> > I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks a lot!

Re: HELP! No Internet connection after failed update of Win XP SP3
I don't know. You can find your free support options by going to