SP3

gary e.

SP3
I have tried unsuccesfully to install SP3 for Windows XP. On three attempts
the results are always the same, the system hangs up "BACKING UP THE
REGISTRY". After the first try I completely removed it, disabled Norton
Antivirus and got the same results. After the second try I cleared the
registry as described on microsoft's website, obtained SP3 on disc, disabled
Norton and the system hung up again. What am I doing wrong?

Re: SP3
> ...I cleared the
> registry as described on microsoft's website

Explain.

What Norton application is installed (e.g., Norton 360 2009; Norton
AntiVirus 2008)? Did you upgrade to this application version from an
earlier version?

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
select "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

WinXP-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

gary e. wrote:
> I have tried unsuccesfully to install SP3 for Windows XP. On three
> attempts
> the results are always the same, the system hangs up "BACKING UP THE
> REGISTRY". After the first try I completely removed it, disabled Norton
> Antivirus and got the same results. After the second try I cleared the
> registry as described on microsoft's website, obtained SP3 on disc,
> disabled
> Norton and the system hung up again. What am I doing wrong?

MARKFRANK

RE: SP3

"gary e." wrote:

> I have tried unsuccesfully to install SP3 for Windows XP. On three attempts
> the results are always the same, the system hangs up "BACKING UP THE
> REGISTRY". After the first try I completely removed it, disabled Norton
> Antivirus and got the same results. After the second try I cleared the
> registry as described on microsoft's website, obtained SP3 on disc, disabled
> Norton and the system hung up again. What am I doing wrong?

gary e.

Re: SP3
I am running Norton Internet Security 2006, it came installed on my pc from
Dell.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > ...I cleared the
> > registry as described on microsoft's website

> Explain.
>
> What Norton application is installed (e.g., Norton 360 2009; Norton
> AntiVirus 2008)? Did you upgrade to this application version from an
> earlier version?
>
> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>
> • US:
>
> • CA:
>
> • UK:
>
> • AU:
>
> • Other: Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
> select "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>
> WinXP-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> gary e. wrote:
> > I have tried unsuccesfully to install SP3 for Windows XP. On three
> > attempts
> > the results are always the same, the system hangs up "BACKING UP THE
> > REGISTRY". After the first try I completely removed it, disabled Norton
> > Antivirus and got the same results. After the second try I cleared the
> > registry as described on microsoft's website, obtained SP3 on disc,
> > disabled
> > Norton and the system hung up again. What am I doing wrong?

Jim

Re: SP3

"gary e." <gary e.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have tried unsuccesfully to install SP3 for Windows XP. On three
>attempts
> the results are always the same, the system hangs up "BACKING UP THE
> REGISTRY". After the first try I completely removed it, disabled Norton
> Antivirus and got the same results. After the second try I cleared the
> registry as described on microsoft's website, obtained SP3 on disc,
> disabled
> Norton and the system hung up again. What am I doing wrong?

You should inspect the event logs for errors at that time.
Jim

Re: SP3
Is your subscription current, Gary? When does it expire?

gary e. wrote:
> I am running Norton Internet Security 2006, it came installed on my pc
> from
> Dell.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> ...I cleared the
>>> registry as described on microsoft's website

>> Explain.
>>
>> What Norton application is installed (e.g., Norton 360 2009; Norton
>> AntiVirus 2008)? Did you upgrade to this application version from an
>> earlier version?
>>
>> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>>
>> • US:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • CA:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • UK:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • AU:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
>>
>> • Other: Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
>> select "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>>
>> WinXP-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> gary e. wrote:
>>> I have tried unsuccesfully to install SP3 for Windows XP. On three
>>> attempts
>>> the results are always the same, the system hangs up "BACKING UP THE
>>> REGISTRY". After the first try I completely removed it, disabled Norton
>>> Antivirus and got the same results. After the second try I cleared the
>>> registry as described on microsoft's website, obtained SP3 on disc,
>>> disabled
>>> Norton and the system hung up again. What am I doing wrong?

gary e.

Re: SP3
My subscription is current. It expires in 70 days. I don't remember what the
procedure for clearing the registry was. It had something to do with an
unsuccesfull install and it was done from the "run" command.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is your subscription current, Gary? When does it expire?
>
> gary e. wrote:
> > I am running Norton Internet Security 2006, it came installed on my pc
> > from
> > Dell.

> >> Explain.
> >>
> >> What Norton application is installed (e.g., Norton 360 2009; Norton
> >> AntiVirus 2008)? Did you upgrade to this application version from an
> >> earlier version?
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
> >>
> >> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >>
> >> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> >> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> >> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
> >>
> >> • US:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • CA:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • UK:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • AU:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • Other: Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
> >> select "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> >>
> >> WinXP-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

TaurArian

Re: SP3
Gotta love norton's -
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...08051623512613

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> gary e. wrote:
> > I am running Norton Internet Security 2006, it came installed on my pc
> > from
> > Dell.

> >> Explain.
> >>
> >> What Norton application is installed (e.g., Norton 360 2009; Norton
> >> AntiVirus 2008)? Did you upgrade to this application version from an
> >> earlier version?
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718
> >>
> >> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >>
> >> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> >> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> >> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
> >>
> >> • US:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • CA:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • UK:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • AU:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...3&gprid=522131
> >>
> >> • Other: Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
> >> select "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> >>
> >> WinXP-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

gary e.

Re: SP3
Just ran it....no invalid registry keys found.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Gotta love norton's -
> http://service1.symantec.com/Support...08051623512613
> --
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > gary e. wrote:
> > > I am running Norton Internet Security 2006, it came installed on my pc
> > > from
> > > Dell.

TaurArian

Re: SP3
Hi gary, you wouldn't have the invalid keys yet as SP3 isn't installed. I was
just making a comment to PA Bear about Nortons.

Perhaps you should consider what PA Bear posted -