I keep installing the same update and it says it was installed

wtolley3

I keep installing the same update and it says it was installed
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181).

I have downloaded and installed this update 20 times and I check in my
update history and it shows that each of those 20 download and intalls were
sucessful. but each time I check for new updates it keeps downloading this
same update above and telling me to install. So how can I fix this clitche.

Tuba2

RE: I keep installing the same update and it says it was installed
Same problem as wtolley3. Is this because SP3 has been installed and the
update is for SP2?
Review your Update History
If an update failed to install, click the Failed icon to learn how to solve
the problem.

Note: To remove an update, go to Add and Remove Programs in your Control
Panel.
Key: = Succeeded = Cancelled = Failed
Print Current | Print All

Product
Update
Status
Date
Source

Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
2 (KB936181)

Sunday, November 09, 2008 Microsoft Update
Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
2 (KB936181)

Sunday, November 09, 2008 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack
2 (KB936181)

Saturday, November 08, 2008 Automatic Updates
Windows XP Silicon Image - Storage - Silicon Image's Pseudo Processor Device

Saturday, November 08, 2008 Microsoft Update
Windows XP NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU

--
The Low Brass Rule

"wtolley3" wrote:

> Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181).
>
> I have downloaded and installed this update 20 times and I check in my
> update history and it shows that each of those 20 download and intalls were
> sucessful. but each time I check for new updates it keeps downloading this
> same update above and telling me to install. So how can I fix this clitche.

Re: I keep installing the same update and it says it was installed
Pick one or two:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...=0&scorin g=d
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

wtolley3 wrote:
> Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
> (KB936181).
>
> I have downloaded and installed this update 20 times and I check in my
> update history and it shows that each of those 20 download and intalls
> were
> sucessful. but each time I check for new updates it keeps downloading this
> same update above and telling me to install. So how can I fix this
> clitche.

Engel

RE: I keep installing the same update and it says it was installed
Hello wtolley3,

See if the information in this MSKB article,

"Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
(KB936181) may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on
Windows Update”

helps you to resolve the problem:

Let us know how it works ºut.

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"wtolley3" wrote:

> Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181).
>
> I have downloaded and installed this update 20 times and I check in my
> update history and it shows that each of those 20 download and intalls were
> sucessful. but each time I check for new updates it keeps downloading this
> same update above and telling me to install. So how can I fix this clitche.

TaurArian

Re: I keep installing the same update and it says it was installed
Same response -
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
(KB936181) may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
Update or on Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

Have you checked the Known Issues -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Tuba2" <Tuba2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Same problem as wtolley3. Is this because SP3 has been installed and the
> update is for SP2?
> Review your Update History
> If an update failed to install, click the Failed icon to learn how to
> solve
> the problem.
>
> Note: To remove an update, go to Add and Remove Programs in your Control
> Panel.
> Key: = Succeeded = Cancelled = Failed
> Print Current | Print All
>

> Product
> Update
> Status
> Date
> Source
>

> Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service
> Pack
> 2 (KB936181)
>
> Sunday, November 09, 2008 Microsoft Update
> Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service
> Pack
> 2 (KB936181)
>
> Sunday, November 09, 2008 Automatic Updates
> Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service
> Pack
> 2 (KB936181)
>
> Saturday, November 08, 2008 Automatic Updates
> Windows XP Silicon Image - Storage - Silicon Image's Pseudo Processor
> Device
>
> Saturday, November 08, 2008 Microsoft Update
> Windows XP NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU
>
> Saturday, November 08, 2008 Microsoft Update
> Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service
> Pack
> 2 (KB936181)
>

> --
> The Low Brass Rule
>

> "wtolley3" wrote:
>
>> Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
>> (KB936181).
>>
>> I have downloaded and installed this update 20 times and I check in my
>> update history and it shows that each of those 20 download and intalls
>> were
>> sucessful. but each time I check for new updates it keeps downloading
>> this
>> same update above and telling me to install. So how can I fix this
>> clitche.

rflulling

RE: I keep installing the same update

I have had this same update again and again since i got my laptop. I have
since disabled auto update functions... After setting up SP1, and it refused
to install, I ran the Recovery partition. Full clean install, and then
immediately ran SP1 and then a spectrum of updates...

I thought this bug died with the effort. But then a day ago I noticed it was
back. I would get an update notice, and immediately it would tell me another
update is available, the same one.

I did some legwork and discovered a manual update for Vista SP1. This
enabled me to Control the installation, Repair the install, and Uninstall. I
have since performed every possible combination, each followed by a system
restart.

I have also uninstalled every Windows VISTA subsystem that VISTA will allow.

Still after all of this the issue persists.

-According to the FAQ on this Update there is very little if any difference
between XP and VISTA patch versions. Seems that only the most recent SP
versions are remotely different. So it doesn't seem so odd that the issue
persists on both Operating systems.

-After following some links on the Forums I found this Dial-a-Fix Software.
But its last update was 2006 and is written for XP, not VISTA.

-At this point I am resigned to believe the Update is all but worthless, and
a massive annoyance.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: I keep installing the same update
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
(KB936181) may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update
or on Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729

The issue is caused by software, usually printing related, locking the
msxml4.dll therefore the update can not replace it and it's reoffered.

IF the update is listed in Installed Updates, uninstall it, then boot to
Safe Mode, open an Elevated Command Prompt [type cmd in the Start Search
box, right click it, choose 'Run as admininstrator', follow the prompts]
and then rename msxml4.dll *AFTER* you've already downloaded the update:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-185639ba2807

Restart the system to normal Windows mode.
IGNORE any prompt to reinstall the previously downloaded update and then
*right* click msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe, choose 'Run as administrator'.
Follow the prompts to allow it to run.
Restart afterwards.

There is a tool to repair automatic updating in Vista but, if you do the
above it should not be necessary:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset/Rele...eleaseId=17263

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY