[Error number: 0x8007043C]

maytechiesib

[Error number: 0x8007043C]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

~~~I've tried the options and no cigar!!!~~~

I have a Compaq Presario SR1010Z pc with Windows XP HomeEdition Version 2002
with Service Pack 3.

I've been trying to install the updates I downloaded several days ago, but
have had one issue after another.

I tried to do the 'wuauserv' fix but it is not found on my computer in SAFE
mode. I tried searching for 'INTELPMM', but it isn't found. I was able to
run diagnostics on the microsoft web site successfully.

I hesitate to do the dial-a-fix.

How can I tell whether the update has installed successfully? (The alert
doesn't show any more when I boot up normally).

I don't want to let it go...just because it seems to be running smoothly bc
I think I read that this update is only free until the Spring.

Thanks in advance!

--
"Bloom where you're planted"
TaurArian

Re: [Error number: 0x8007043C]
0x8007043C
Means: ERROR_NOT_SAFEBOOT_SERVICE.
Translation: You need a service which is not available in safe mode.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"maytechiesib" <maytechiesib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [Error number: 0x8007043C]
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
> problem.
>
> ~~~I've tried the options and no cigar!!!~~~
>
> I have a Compaq Presario SR1010Z pc with Windows XP HomeEdition Version
> 2002
> with Service Pack 3.
>
> I've been trying to install the updates I downloaded several days ago, but
> have had one issue after another.
>
> I tried to do the 'wuauserv' fix but it is not found on my computer in
> SAFE
> mode. I tried searching for 'INTELPMM', but it isn't found. I was able
> run diagnostics on the microsoft web site successfully.
>
> I hesitate to do the dial-a-fix.
>
> How can I tell whether the update has installed successfully? (The alert
> doesn't show any more when I boot up normally).
>
> I don't want to let it go...just because it seems to be running smoothly
> bc
> I think I read that this update is only free until the Spring.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> "Bloom where you're planted"

maytechiesib

New error msg
[Error number: 0xC80001FE]

"TaurArian" wrote:

> 0x8007043C
> Means: ERROR_NOT_SAFEBOOT_SERVICE.
> Translation: You need a service which is not available in safe mode.
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
>

> "maytechiesib" <maytechiesib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > [Error number: 0x8007043C]
> > The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> > trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
> > problem.
> >
> > ~~~I've tried the options and no cigar!!!~~~
> >
> > I have a Compaq Presario SR1010Z pc with Windows XP HomeEdition Version
> > 2002
> > with Service Pack 3.
> >
> > I've been trying to install the updates I downloaded several days ago, but
> > have had one issue after another.
> >
> > I tried to do the 'wuauserv' fix but it is not found on my computer in
> > SAFE
> > mode. I tried searching for 'INTELPMM', but it isn't found. I was able
> > run diagnostics on the microsoft web site successfully.
> >
> > I hesitate to do the dial-a-fix.
> >
> > How can I tell whether the update has installed successfully? (The alert
> > doesn't show any more when I boot up normally).
> >
> > I don't want to let it go...just because it seems to be running smoothly
> > bc
> > I think I read that this update is only free until the Spring.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > --
> > "Bloom where you're planted"

Re: New error msg
0xC80001FE = unable to write to the log file

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

4. Test. If no joy, repeat the above three steps, deleting
%windir%\SoftwareDistribution <=this folder (typically,
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution) manually in Step #2 this time.

5. If still no joy...

AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

maytechiesib wrote:
> [Error number: 0xC80001FE]
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
> problem.
>
>> 0x8007043C
>> Means: ERROR_NOT_SAFEBOOT_SERVICE.
>> Translation: You need a service which is not available in safe mode.
>>
>>> [Error number: 0x8007043C]
>>> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
>>> are
>>> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> ~~~I've tried the options and no cigar!!!~~~
>>>
>>> I have a Compaq Presario SR1010Z pc with Windows XP HomeEdition Version
>>> 2002
>>> with Service Pack 3.
>>>
>>> I've been trying to install the updates I downloaded several days ago,
>>> but
>>> have had one issue after another.
>>>
>>> I tried to do the 'wuauserv' fix but it is not found on my computer in
>>> SAFE
>>> mode. I tried searching for 'INTELPMM', but it isn't found. I was able
>>> run diagnostics on the microsoft web site successfully.
>>>
>>> I hesitate to do the dial-a-fix.
>>>
>>> How can I tell whether the update has installed successfully? (The
>>> alert
>>> doesn't show any more when I boot up normally).
>>>
>>> I don't want to let it go...just because it seems to be running smoothly
>>> bc
>>> I think I read that this update is only free until the Spring.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Bloom where you're planted"

maytechiesib

Thank you both!
Thank you both!
I was able to get over my snafu...I used Internet Explorer, the normal
windows environment, disabled my AV's and then, was able to use the Microsoft
update site to download and install relatively smoothly! *Phew* JOY!!!
Thanks...will check back the next time I run into trouble and the fam isn't
readily available for tech support!
May
--
"Bloom where you're planted"

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 0xC80001FE = unable to write to the log file
>
> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>
> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> Close the window.
>
> 3. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> (Starting the service will take a moment)
>
> 4. Test. If no joy, repeat the above three steps, deleting
> %windir%\SoftwareDistribution <=this folder (typically,
> C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution) manually in Step #2 this time.
>
> 5. If still no joy...

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
> maytechiesib wrote:
> > [Error number: 0xC80001FE]
> > The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> > trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
> > problem.
> >
> >> 0x8007043C
> >> Means: ERROR_NOT_SAFEBOOT_SERVICE.
> >> Translation: You need a service which is not available in safe mode.

Re: Thank you both!
YW. You're running more than one anti-virus application? Which ones and
why?

cf. Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
--
~PA Bear

maytechiesib wrote:
> Thank you both!
> I was able to get over my snafu...I used Internet Explorer, the normal
> windows environment, disabled my AV's and then, was able to use the
> Microsoft update site to download and install relatively smoothly! *Phew*
> JOY!!! Thanks...will check back the next time I run into trouble and the
> fam isn't readily available for tech support!
> May
>
>> 0xC80001FE = unable to write to the log file
>>
>> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
>> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>>
>> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
>> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
>> Close the window.
>>
>> 3. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
>> (Starting the service will take a moment)
>>
>> 4. Test. If no joy, repeat the above three steps, deleting
>> %windir%\SoftwareDistribution <=this folder (typically,
>> C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution) manually in Step #2 this time.
>>
>> 5. If still no joy...

>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>>
>> maytechiesib wrote:
>>> [Error number: 0xC80001FE]
>>> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you
>>> are
>>> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the
>>> problem.

skhowe

RE: [Error number: 0x8007043C]

"maytechiesib" wrote:

> [Error number: 0x8007043C]
> The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
>
> ~~~I've tried the options and no cigar!!!~~~
>
> I have a Compaq Presario SR1010Z pc with Windows XP HomeEdition Version 2002
> with Service Pack 3.
>
> I've been trying to install the updates I downloaded several days ago, but
> have had one issue after another.
>
> I tried to do the 'wuauserv' fix but it is not found on my computer in SAFE
> mode. I tried searching for 'INTELPMM', but it isn't found. I was able to
> run diagnostics on the microsoft web site successfully.
>
> I hesitate to do the dial-a-fix.
>
> How can I tell whether the update has installed successfully? (The alert
> doesn't show any more when I boot up normally).
>
> I don't want to let it go...just because it seems to be running smoothly bc
> I think I read that this update is only free until the Spring.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> "Bloom where you're planted"

I have the XP Media System 2005. Downloaded system pk 3 and had many issues.
the final was we had to totally restore. Avoided installing it thinking it
was my provider and the virus protection through it. We have since changed
providers and tried again, now everything is messed again. I have also tried
the fix wuguserv with no progress. I had tried a system restore from a
previous point and it is not working either.
maytechiesib

Re: Thank you both!
I was running Ad-aware which I believe I deactivated. I had Spy-bot prior to
that. Both were free programs I used when I thought I couldn't afford Norton
Antivirus. Since having some issues with blue screen & mistakenly resetting
my whole system using an option to return to my original settings, I've
invested in Norton Antivirus.
I read the link to the article and think I'm not savvy enough to follow the
advice!
What do you usually recommend as far as AV programs go?
May
--
"Bloom where you're planted"

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> YW. You're running more than one anti-virus application? Which ones and
> why?
>
> cf. Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
> Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> maytechiesib wrote:
> > Thank you both!
> > I was able to get over my snafu...I used Internet Explorer, the normal
> > windows environment, disabled my AV's and then, was able to use the
> > Microsoft update site to download and install relatively smoothly! *Phew*
> > JOY!!! Thanks...will check back the next time I run into trouble and the
> > fam isn't readily available for tech support!
> > May
> >
> >> 0xC80001FE = unable to write to the log file
> >>
> >> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
> >>
> >> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> >> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> >> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
> >>
> >> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
> >>
> >> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> >> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> >> Close the window.
> >>
> >> 3. Start the Automatic Updates service:
> >>
> >> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> >> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> >> (Starting the service will take a moment)
> >>
> >> 4. Test. If no joy, repeat the above three steps, deleting
> >> %windir%\SoftwareDistribution <=this folder (typically,
> >> C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution) manually in Step #2 this time.
> >>
> >> 5. If still no joy...
> >>
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> >> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Re: Thank you both!
Neither Ad-Aware not Spybot are anti-virus applications.

How long have you had Norton AntiVirus (NAV) installed? How long had you
been running without an anti-virus applcation installed?