SP3 Update Fails

paulbp

SP3 Update Fails

Tried it 3 times overnight - continues to fail on "unable to access"
something - 20 minutes into it - is there a log I should be looking at??
can you direct me

thanks

--
paulbp
paulbp's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/paulbp.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Shenan Stanley

Re: SP3 Update Fails
paulbp wrote:
> Tried it 3 times overnight - continues to fail on "unable to access"
> something - 20 minutes into it - is there a log I should be looking
> at?? can you direct me

Assuming you mean Windows XP Service Pack 3...
(It could be many different SP3's - please try to include more information
in future postings to save yourself time and frustration.)

Could you be very specific (verbatim) about the messages you are seeing when
trying to install Windows XP SP3? Also be very specific about the method
you are utilizing to install Windows XP SP3 and what you have tried to do to
remedy the situation.

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

JS

Re: SP3 Update Fails
If I where to install SP3 I would choose to download the
file and not use Automatic Updates.

Your PC must be at least SP1 or SP2 level as SP3 will not
install on XP Gold.

I would also create an "Image Backup" of my drive prior
to installing SP3 just in case you do have problems.
Don't have any Image Backup software:
Try "True Image" (has a 15 day trial version available)
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

If you use Zone Alarm Firewall (Free or Paid) then update to
version 7.0.483.
Warning do not install ZA version 8.0.xxx as it currently has
problems.

Install SP3 in 'Clean Boot' mode:
How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Where to download the SP3 installation file:
(File is large but will only install components that your PC requires)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview
Be sure to download and read the file titled 'Overview of Windows XP Service
Pack 3'
Note: "You can run the SP3 update package on any edition of Windows XP SP1
or SP2."

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
Discusses the hard disk space requirements for installing
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
"For a PC on which Windows XP is already installed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311/en-us

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx

Release notes for the Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929/en-us

List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/

Recommends steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3.
Also includes troubleshooting information.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/en-us

You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1
after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719

IE 8 Beta Warning - Windows XP Service Pack 3(SP3) users only:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-8-beta-2.aspx

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
Scroll down to the end of the article.

XP SP3: Post Installation Cleanup:
http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33827

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of
Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718/en-us

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support
(Via Email, Chat or Phone support)

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"paulbp" <paulbp.3im0rg@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
newsaulbp.3im0rg@DoNotSpam.com...

> Tried it 3 times overnight - continues to fail on "unable to access"
> something - 20 minutes into it - is there a log I should be looking at??
> can you direct me
>
> thanks
>

> --
> paulbp
> paulbp's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/paulbp.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1068725.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

paulbp

Re: SP3 Update Fails

I had to laugh - just a little - Consider myself technical - MS/EE - in
the Early 80's - senior mgmt for the past 15 years- the list of links
that you folks sent is incredible - and all I am trying to do is run the
SP3 update on my main home server that I was prompted to run

guess I will wait for the SP3 revisions that will have to come out
-to:
1) detect issues before install and provide more info in the error
messages
2) correct the bugs that I now see folks complaining about since
completing the upgrade

I do say thanks for the responses!!!

regards - pbp

--
paulbp
paulbp's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/paulbp.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1068725.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Jim

Re: SP3 Update Fails

"paulbp" <paulbp.3imhfb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
newsaulbp.3imhfb@DoNotSpam.com...

> I had to laugh - just a little - Consider myself technical - MS/EE - in
> the Early 80's - senior mgmt for the past 15 years- the list of links
> that you folks sent is incredible - and all I am trying to do is run the
> SP3 update on my main home server that I was prompted to run
>
> guess I will wait for the SP3 revisions that will have to come out
> -to:
> 1) detect issues before install and provide more info in the error
> messages
> 2) correct the bugs that I now see folks complaining about since
> completing the upgrade
>
> I do say thanks for the responses!!!
>
> regards - pbp
>

> --
> paulbp
> paulbp's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/paulbp.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1068725.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Answer to (1) is that the issues have been known for some time now. These
articles seem quite understandable to me.
Answer to (2) is that corrective answers for nearly all of these issues have
long since been found. These fixes were published in May.
Most of the people have not followed the basic principal that one must
install service packs with all AV turned off. They also did not read the
artical about getting your system ready for SP3.
MS cannot make anybody read those instructions.
Many people expect that SP3 will correct existing problem. In fact,
installing SP3 may make them worse. (SP2 certainly did).
And, for what it is worth, those people who go from SP1 to SP3 must make the
rather extensive updates that SP2 needed.

And, again, for what it is worth, the installation of SP3 followed by
installation of IE7 completed with no problems at all. Nor, have any
surfaced in the two or three weeks since then.
I used the CD version.

Jim

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: SP3 Update Fails
paulbp wrote:

> guess I will wait for the SP3 revisions that will have to come out
> -to:

There will not be a revision of SP3. What you see is what you get.

Harry.
ascadol

Re: SP3 Update Fails

This is a permission problem and is very common. Some app changes the
permissions on a file or directory that needs to be accessed by the
update and it fails.

You need this KB article to fix the problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Basically you make a batch file and download and extract subinacl run
the batch file and it will go through your computer correcting the
permissions to expected defaults.

--
ascadol
ascadol's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/ascadol.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1068725.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Hoppy

Re: SP3 Update Fails
paulbp wrote on Sun, 9 Nov 2008 18:29:42 +0530:

p> Tried it 3 times overnight - continues to fail on "unable to access"
p> something - 20 minutes into it - is there a log I should be looking at??
p> can you direct me

p> thanks

p> --
p> paulbp
p> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
p> paulbp's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/paulbp.htm
p> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1068725.htm

p> http://forums.techarena.in

--
If you're receiving the "... Access is denied." and Service Pack
installation did not complete errors, go here for detailed instructions and

http://www.askvg.com/windows-xp-serv...ess-is-denied/

It worked for me after many unsuccessful attempts. I believe this is the
same fix that ascadol os referring to.

The batch file took 30-45 minutes to run but I would imagine that time will
vary depending on the size of your registry.

I would also suggest that you download SP3 to your HDD, and run it from
there.

Enjoy.
--
Hoppy