Cannot update

Daniel

Cannot update
When try to open Windows Update, the update page + some advertisement gets
openend. So I guess I've caught some virus. Now the other problem is, I can't
activate the Automatic Updates service. This means, I can't download any
updates. I'm using an updated antivirus scanner, but it doesn't detect this.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Cannot update
Daniel wrote:
> When try to open Windows Update, the update page + some
> advertisement gets openend. So I guess I've caught some virus. Now
> the other problem is, I can't activate the Automatic Updates
> service. This means, I can't download any updates. I'm using an
> updated antivirus scanner, but it doesn't detect this.

Operating System?
AntiVirus software you utilize?
AntiSpyware software you have used on this machine?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Daniel

Re: Cannot update
Windows XP SP3
Antivir including newest updates
No anti spyware software

Daniel wrote:
> Windows XP SP3
> Antivir including newest updates
> No anti spyware software

- Download, install, update and utilize:
- MalwareBytes
(
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes...=dl&tag=button )
- SuperAntiSpyware
(
http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE )
(Free versions, full scans, may take some time.)

- Download, install and utilize:
- AU Check
( http://www.codeplex.com/aureset )

Reboot after running the latter.

Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ after the reboot (as an
administrative user on the local machine) and install any software it asks
you to in order to get to the update screen where it asks if you want
"Express" or "Custom" updating - and you choose "Custom". Allow it to scan
your system, get all the critical/security updates and choose any of the
"Optional Software" updates you want - I suggest avoiding the "Optional
Hardware" updates completely.

Come back - let us know how things went for you.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Cannot update
There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection, which is
usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
protected by a rootkit.

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm