WINXP updating to SP2 & IE7?

Pflueger

WINXP updating to SP2 & IE7?
I am having some problems with IE6 and was referred to the MS IE6 Repair
page by an MVP. The solutions there include updating to SP2 (I still have
SP1), and I think I might as well go for IE7 as well.

I have the SP2 CD from awhile back -- is that still current or would it be
better to DL it and install it from the web? Are there still issues that
present when updating from SP1? -- I remember there were lots of problems
requiring fixes awhile back, and there was much complaining.

I thought it would be best to get SP2, then upgrade to IE7. Have these
upgrades become straightforward by now, or are there still all those caveats
and preparations to be done first. Any suggestions for a smooth process
would be greatly appreciated. TIA

pflu

Re: WINXP updating to SP2 & IE7?
HOW TO get WinXP SP1 fully patched:

1. Download & save the installer for WinXP SP3 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1e1555d4f3d4

[Yes, you can skip WinXP SP2 altogether.]

2. Read & heed:

3. Logged in as Administrator, if necessary, double-click on the saved file
to install WinXP SP3. Follow all prompts; be patient, and reboot twice when
the install completes.

4. Do Resolution Method 2 here (you may not need it but do it anyway; trust
me):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

5. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Install any required software
then click on CONTINUE | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any critical
security updates offered. Again, follow all prompts.

[I do NOT recommend installing IE7 via Windows Update. Once you get SP3 up
& running OK, I can give you further instructions on installing IE7.]

6. Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Addtional References:

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Pflueger wrote:
> I am having some problems with IE6 and was referred to the MS IE6 Repair
> page by an MVP. The solutions there include updating to SP2 (I still have
> SP1), and I think I might as well go for IE7 as well.
>
> I have the SP2 CD from awhile back -- is that still current or would it be
> better to DL it and install it from the web? Are there still issues that
> present when updating from SP1? -- I remember there were lots of problems
> requiring fixes awhile back, and there was much complaining.
>
> I thought it would be best to get SP2, then upgrade to IE7. Have these
> upgrades become straightforward by now, or are there still all those
> caveats
> and preparations to be done first. Any suggestions for a smooth process
> would be greatly appreciated. TIA
>
> pflu

Frank

Re: WINXP updating to SP2 & IE7?
Microsoft update should have already updated you to Windows SP3 and IE7. Are
you blocking updates?

Frank

"Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in message
>I am having some problems with IE6 and was referred to the MS IE6 Repair
> page by an MVP. The solutions there include updating to SP2 (I still have
> SP1), and I think I might as well go for IE7 as well.
>
> I have the SP2 CD from awhile back -- is that still current or would it be
> better to DL it and install it from the web? Are there still issues that
> present when updating from SP1? -- I remember there were lots of problems
> requiring fixes awhile back, and there was much complaining.
>
> I thought it would be best to get SP2, then upgrade to IE7. Have these
> upgrades become straightforward by now, or are there still all those
> caveats
> and preparations to be done first. Any suggestions for a smooth process
> would be greatly appreciated. TIA
>
> pflu

Re: WINXP updating to SP2 & IE7?
[Microsoft Update requires WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3 to be installed, Frank.]