Power Options & Alt Tab not working after Update

fiverock2

Power Options & Alt Tab not working after Update
I hope someone can help me with this, or at least confirm that I'm not the
only one with this problem.

Some time ago (4 weeks maybe) after installing Windows Updates the Alt-Tab
task switcher stopped working correctly. Now when I hold Alt and press Tab
the task switcher appears for about 1 second then goes away. I tried a
different key-board and had the same problem. Also after this update, Windows
will not keep my power settings any more. I set my "shut down hard-disc,"
"shut down monitor," etc. to Never and set my "When I close the lip of my
portable computer" set to Do Nothing. But every so often, Windows decides to
change everything back to the defaults. The final problem in this Error
trivecta is whenever I launch a new program, folder, etc. it opens behind the
folder that I launched the program from.

All of these are little nucences, but together they make it difficult to
keep my workflow moving. Can someone please help.

System: Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop running XP64 SP3.

PS: Yes I have all the lateset drivers from Dell.

Re: Power Options & Alt Tab not working after Update
And what updates were installed "some time ago (4 weeks maybe)"?

fiverock2 wrote:
> I hope someone can help me with this, or at least confirm that I'm not the
> only one with this problem.
>
> Some time ago (4 weeks maybe) after installing Windows Updates the Alt-Tab
> task switcher stopped working correctly. Now when I hold Alt and press Tab
> the task switcher appears for about 1 second then goes away. I tried a
> different key-board and had the same problem. Also after this update,
> Windows will not keep my power settings any more. I set my "shut down
> hard-disc," "shut down monitor," etc. to Never and set my "When I close
> the
> lip of my portable computer" set to Do Nothing. But every so often,
> Windows
> decides to change everything back to the defaults. The final problem in
> this Error trivecta is whenever I launch a new program, folder, etc. it
> opens behind the folder that I launched the program from.
>
> All of these are little nucences, but together they make it difficult to
> keep my workflow moving. Can someone please help.
>
> System: Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop running XP64 SP3.
>
> PS: Yes I have all the lateset drivers from Dell.

fiverock2

Re: Power Options & Alt Tab not working after Update
All I know is that I have all the lastest updates. When I run visit the
Windows Update site in IE, it says I have all updates. All I know is that is
wasn't any updates to the .Net Framework, I've gotten those updates since
these problems started.

Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> And what updates were installed "some time ago (4 weeks maybe)"?
>
> fiverock2 wrote:
> > I hope someone can help me with this, or at least confirm that I'm not the
> > only one with this problem.
> >
> > Some time ago (4 weeks maybe) after installing Windows Updates the Alt-Tab
> > task switcher stopped working correctly. Now when I hold Alt and press Tab
> > the task switcher appears for about 1 second then goes away. I tried a
> > different key-board and had the same problem. Also after this update,
> > Windows will not keep my power settings any more. I set my "shut down
> > hard-disc," "shut down monitor," etc. to Never and set my "When I close
> > the
> > lip of my portable computer" set to Do Nothing. But every so often,
> > Windows
> > decides to change everything back to the defaults. The final problem in
> > this Error trivecta is whenever I launch a new program, folder, etc. it
> > opens behind the folder that I launched the program from.
> >
> > All of these are little nucences, but together they make it difficult to
> > keep my workflow moving. Can someone please help.
> >
> > System: Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop running XP64 SP3.
> >
> > PS: Yes I have all the lateset drivers from Dell.

Re: Power Options & Alt Tab not working after Update
Have you had these problems ever since you installed WinXP SP3?

fiverock2 wrote:
> All I know is that I have all the lastest updates. When I run visit the
> Windows Update site in IE, it says I have all updates. All I know is that
> is
> wasn't any updates to the .Net Framework, I've gotten those updates since
> these problems started.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> And what updates were installed "some time ago (4 weeks maybe)"?
>>
>> fiverock2 wrote:
>>> I hope someone can help me with this, or at least confirm that I'm not
>>> the
>>> only one with this problem.
>>>
>>> Some time ago (4 weeks maybe) after installing Windows Updates the
>>> Alt-Tab
>>> task switcher stopped working correctly. Now when I hold Alt and press
>>> Tab
>>> the task switcher appears for about 1 second then goes away. I tried a
>>> different key-board and had the same problem. Also after this update,
>>> Windows will not keep my power settings any more. I set my "shut down
>>> hard-disc," "shut down monitor," etc. to Never and set my "When I close
>>> the
>>> lip of my portable computer" set to Do Nothing. But every so often,
>>> Windows
>>> decides to change everything back to the defaults. The final problem in
>>> this Error trivecta is whenever I launch a new program, folder, etc. it
>>> opens behind the folder that I launched the program from.
>>>
>>> All of these are little nucences, but together they make it difficult to
>>> keep my workflow moving. Can someone please help.
>>>
>>> System: Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop running XP64 SP3.
>>>
>>> PS: Yes I have all the lateset drivers from Dell.

fiverock2

Re: Power Options & Alt Tab not working after Update
Sorry, that was a typo, it's SP2. SP3 has never shown up in my Windows Updates.

-TJ

Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com & open Update History: What updates