Cannot get auto-updtes enabled.

Ed

Cannot get auto-updtes enabled.
Red shield appeared unexpectedly on task bar noting auto-updates off. Clicked
to fix. Clicked on "turn on auto update". Message appeared: "We're sorry,
the Security Center can't get the job done." So went to Start/Control
Panel/system/auto updates, and that window says Auto updates are on.
Rebooted. Red shield back.Turned off auo updates and rebooted and turned on
again. Red Shield still there. Tried to manually update, but received this
message:

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
not running:
Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.

Did 1, 2, 3 &4, but whenever click Apply Automatic reverts to Disabled. Will
not start. Happily 6-11 OK.
--
Thanks for your help! Ed
Engel

RE: Cannot get auto-updtes enabled.
Hello Ed,

If you are referring to the Automatic Update service, have the system
scanned here for the presence of a malware known as Vundo\Virtumonde:
<http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/tryscanner.htm>
-=-

First - ensure you do not have "Vundo".

It seems possible that your Windows installation has been deliberately
damaged by a trojan (Vundo, along any uninvited guests. (SDBot and ZLOB, all
protected by a rootkit.)) so as to prevent you updating your system or
removing the trojan.

Your first priority must be to cleanse your PC of all malware.

A very good antimalware app is SUPERAntiSpyware.

There is a free version (on demand scanning only), the paid for version
includes active monitoring, similar to Windows defender:
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
The trial version of SUPERAntiSpyware Pro (SAS):
<http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html>

Have a look at this articles. It may be relevant to your problem.

The above explanation was for a previous Version of BITS but, there has been
an update for BITS since Vista came out.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939159>

Is BITS disabled ? It can be set to Manual and the system will update
successfully but, will not update if BITS is Disabled.

Suggest you run the BITS Repair Tool to see if that helps resolve the issue
after installing the update for it:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520>

This will give you a starting point for your troubleshooting anyway.

Please let us know if the problem remains

Ǝиçεl
-=-

- -- ---

"Ed" wrote:

> Red shield appeared unexpectedly on task bar noting auto-updates off. Clicked
> to fix. Clicked on "turn on auto update". Message appeared: "We're sorry,
> the Security Center can't get the job done." So went to Start/Control
> Panel/system/auto updates, and that window says Auto updates are on.
> Rebooted. Red shield back.Turned off auo updates and rebooted and turned on
> again. Red Shield still there. Tried to manually update, but received this
> message:
>
> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
> not running:
> Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
> quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
> Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
> Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
>
> Did 1, 2, 3 &4, but whenever click Apply Automatic reverts to Disabled. Will
> not start. Happily 6-11 OK.
> --
> Thanks for your help! Ed

Re: Cannot get auto-updtes enabled.
There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection, which is
usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
protected by a rootkit.

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ed wrote:
> Red shield appeared unexpectedly on task bar noting auto-updates off.
> Clicked to fix. Clicked on "turn on auto update". Message appeared:
> "We're
> sorry, the Security Center can't get the job done." So went to
> Start/Control
> Panel/system/auto updates, and that window says Auto updates are on.
> Rebooted. Red shield back.Turned off auo updates and rebooted and turned
> on
> again. Red Shield still there. Tried to manually update, but received
> this
> message:
>
> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
> not running:
> Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download
> more
> quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
> Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then
> click
> Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent
> Transfer
> Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
>
> Did 1, 2, 3 &4, but whenever click Apply Automatic reverts to Disabled.
> Will
> not start. Happily 6-11 OK.

Ed

RE: Cannot get auto-updtes enabled.
Thanks. I am running Onecare now. Fortunately, the problem is on my wife's
laptop, so I can still use mine. I will follow all of your suggestions before
going to PABear's more complicated solution. I did notice that a number of
people have had the same problem. BITS and the Event Log ARE running. I shall
report further after Onecare has completed.

"Engel" wrote:

> [...]
> > Properties.
> > 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> > 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> > Stopped click on the Start Button.
> > 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
> > Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> > 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> > 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> > Stopped click on the Start Button.
> > 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> > Properties.
> > 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> > 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> > Stopped click on the Start Button.
> >
> > Did 1, 2, 3 &4, but whenever click Apply Automatic reverts to Disabled. Will

Ed

RE: Cannot get auto-updtes enabled.
Just noticed in upper right corner of "This site cannot continue because...."
[Error number: 0xDDD0018], which is not quite the same as Diana, two threads
up. Does the error number help any?

"Engel" wrote:

> [...]
> > Properties.
> > 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> > 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> > Stopped click on the Start Button.
> > 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
> > Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> > 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> > 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> > Stopped click on the Start Button.
> > 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> > Properties.
> > 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> > 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> > Stopped click on the Start Button.
> >
> > Did 1, 2, 3 &4, but whenever click Apply Automatic reverts to Disabled. Will

In that case, CrystalBall© sez...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
--
~PA Bear

Ed wrote:
> [...]
>>> click Properties.
>>> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
>>> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
>>> Stopped click on the Start Button.
>>> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent
>>> Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
>>> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
>>> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
>>> Stopped click on the Start Button.
>>> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
>>> Properties.
>>> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
>>> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
>>> Stopped click on the Start Button.
>>>
>>> Did 1, 2, 3 &4, but whenever click Apply Automatic reverts to Disabled.

Ed

Re: Cannot get auto-updtes enabled.
Thanks to both of you for your prompt and informed assistance. After I ran
Onecare, which found "16 items and 3 issues" [but didn't identify what they
were], Onecare cleaned and repaired all of them. I rebooted, the balloon
warning that Automatic Updates was not turned on came up as before, but when
I clicked on "Turn on Automatic UIpdates," it worked! Now I have an "ON" for
Firewall, Auto-updates, and Virus protection in the window at Start/Control
Panel/ Security Center.

Thank you again!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> In that case, CrystalBall© sez...
>
> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft
> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Ed wrote:
> > Just noticed in upper right corner of "This site cannot continue
> > because...." [Error number: 0xDDD0018], which is not quite the same as
> > Diana, two threads up. Does the error number help any?
> >
> > "Engel" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Ed,
> >>

> >> If you are referring to the Automatic Update service, have the system
> >> scanned here for the presence of a malware known as Vundo\Virtumonde:
> >> <http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/tryscanner.htm>
> >> -=-
> >>

> >> First - ensure you do not have "Vundo".
> >>
> >> It seems possible that your Windows installation has been deliberately
> >> damaged by a trojan (Vundo, along any uninvited guests. (SDBot and ZLOB,
> >> all protected by a rootkit.)) so as to prevent you updating your system
> >> or
> >> removing the trojan.
> >>

> >> Your first priority must be to cleanse your PC of all malware.
> >>

> >> A very good antimalware app is SUPERAntiSpyware.
> >>
> >> There is a free version (on demand scanning only), the paid for version
> >> includes active monitoring, similar to Windows defender:
> >> <http://www.superantispyware.com/>
> >> The trial version of SUPERAntiSpyware Pro (SAS):
> >> <http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html>
> >>

> >> Have a look at this articles. It may be relevant to your problem.
> >>
> >> The above explanation was for a previous Version of BITS but, there has
> >> been an update for BITS since Vista came out.
> >> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939159>
> >>

> >> Is BITS disabled ? It can be set to Manual and the system will update
> >> successfully but, will not update if BITS is Disabled.
> >>
> >> Suggest you run the BITS Repair Tool to see if that helps resolve the
> >> issue
> >> after installing the update for it:
> >> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520>
> >>

> >> This will give you a starting point for your troubleshooting anyway.
> >>
> >> Please let us know if the problem remains
> >>
> >> Ǝиçεl
> >> -=-
> >>
> >> - -- ---

Re: Cannot get auto-updtes enabled.
YW & thanks for your feedback. Still, I would encourage you to post your
HijackThis log in an appropriate forum for review by an expert in such
matters. Just because AU is working now does not necessarily mean the
machine's free of all hijackware and safe to use, Ed.

Ed wrote:
> Thanks to both of you for your prompt and informed assistance. After I
> ran
> Onecare, which found "16 items and 3 issues" [but didn't identify what
> they
> were], Onecare cleaned and repaired all of them. I rebooted, the balloon
> warning that Automatic Updates was not turned on came up as before, but
> when
> I clicked on "Turn on Automatic UIpdates," it worked! Now I have an "ON"
> for
> Firewall, Auto-updates, and Virus protection in the window at
> Start/Control
> Panel/ Security Center.
>
> Thank you again!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> In that case, CrystalBall© sez...
>>
>> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
>> Microsoft
>> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
>> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Ed wrote:
>>> Just noticed in upper right corner of "This site cannot continue
>>> because...." [Error number: 0xDDD0018], which is not quite the same as
>>> Diana, two threads up. Does the error number help any?

Ed

Re: Cannot get auto-updtes enabled.
I have searched for "Hijack" and also for ".log" and can find nothing on the
computer that "might" be the sort of log you suggest. Got any suggestions as
where to look?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> YW & thanks for your feedback. Still, I would encourage you to post your
> HijackThis log in an appropriate forum for review by an expert in such
> matters. Just because AU is working now does not necessarily mean the
> machine's free of all hijackware and safe to use, Ed.
>
> Ed wrote:
> > Thanks to both of you for your prompt and informed assistance. After I
> > ran
> > Onecare, which found "16 items and 3 issues" [but didn't identify what
> > they
> > were], Onecare cleaned and repaired all of them. I rebooted, the balloon
> > warning that Automatic Updates was not turned on came up as before, but
> > when
> > I clicked on "Turn on Automatic UIpdates," it worked! Now I have an "ON"
> > for
> > Firewall, Auto-updates, and Virus protection in the window at
> > Start/Control
> > Panel/ Security Center.
> >
> > Thank you again!
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> In that case, CrystalBall© sez...
> >>
> >> Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
> >> Microsoft
> >> Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new Windows XP
> >> installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: Cannot get auto-updtes enabled.