Activex control is gone

LoMayok

Activex control is gone
Windows xp sp3.
When trying to get an update this is what I got:

Install the ActiveX control required to view the website
The website will not display correctly on your computer without this
control. To install it:
1. Right-click the Internet Explorer Information Bar. It's located just
below the address bar.
2. In the right-click menu, click Install ActiveX Control.
3. In the Security Warning dialog box, click Install.

Note: If the Information Bar doesn't appear, or if you've installed the
control but still can't use the website, take these steps to solve the
problem.

Example: Internet Explorer Information Bar with right-click menu

This started when I installed the full backup of Acronis True Image 11.0
Validation process still says that my windows is Genuine.
Nothing happens when I click on TOOLS >> MANAGE ADD ONS >> ENABLE OR DISABLE
ADD ONS.

Needs help.

Thanks...

LoMayok

RE: Activex control is gone
EDIT: I have tried all these:

Click Start, select Run and type (pressing enter after each one and wait for
the success
message):

net.exe stop wuauserv
Press Ok

Repeat for the following:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 atl.dll

net.exe start wuauserv

TRIED THESE TOO:
Also make sure you accepted the Microsoft Trust Certificate
To turn on automatic updating of trusted root authority certificates
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...s/xp/all/prodd...

1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box.
4. Click Next, and then click Finish.

Note
.. To open Add/Remove Windows Components, click Start, click Control Panel,
click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.

AND THIS ONE TOO:
..... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Close all Internet Explorer Windows and other applications.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...

Once the scan is done, select all the critical, any of the optional software
updates you want and *none* of the option hardware updates and install them.

Reboot again.

Engel

RE: Activex control is gone
Hello LoMayok,

Try this:

Search for and delete all files "*.tmp"
Search for all files "temp" Delete the contents of them, do NOT delete the
folder.
Go to Control Panel
Click Internet Options
Click "Delete Cookies", click OK, may take a few minutes
Click "Delete Files"
Check "Delete all offline content" click OK, may take a few minutes
Click "Clear History" click Yes, may also take a few minutes
Perform Disk Cleanup checking all boxes except "Compress old files"
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Clean-up
-=-

How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315246>
Reboot
-=-

Test this WGA diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts working.
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/
Reboot
-=-

Go ahead and download Dial-ª-Fix.
<http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix>
Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to Download Dial-ª-fix
Click the Double green checkmark and click Go.
Reboot
Try the
<http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/>
and D/L your updates
-=-

For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Ǝиçεl
-=-

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=a1d8c 59b-9148-4153-9d71-7fbbd2a11bbe&mid=a1d8c59b-9148-4153-9d71-7fbbd2a11bbe>

"LoMayok" wrote:

> Windows xp sp3.
> When trying to get an update this is what I got:
>

> Install the ActiveX control required to view the website
> The website will not display correctly on your computer without this
> control. To install it:
> 1. Right-click the Internet Explorer Information Bar. It's located just
> below the address bar.
> 2. In the right-click menu, click Install ActiveX Control.
> 3. In the Security Warning dialog box, click Install.
>
> Note: If the Information Bar doesn't appear, or if you've installed the
> control but still can't use the website, take these steps to solve the
> problem.
>

> Example: Internet Explorer Information Bar with right-click menu
>

> This started when I installed the full backup of Acronis True Image 11.0
> Validation process still says that my windows is Genuine.
> Nothing happens when I click on TOOLS >> MANAGE ADD ONS >> ENABLE OR DISABLE
> ADD ONS.
>
> Needs help.
>
> Thanks...

LoMayok

RE: Activex control is gone
All of these problems occured after the infection of Vundo Trojan. Clean up
was done using super antispyware, trojan remover, anti trojan elite,
kaspersky and avg.

Genuine Microsoft Validation says "genuine" but failed in WGA Diagnose in
cryptography.

Is there a fix to this or reformat is the only way?

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello LoMayok,
>
> Try this:
>
> Search for and delete all files "*.tmp"
> Search for all files "temp" Delete the contents of them, do NOT delete the
> folder.
> Go to Control Panel
> Click Internet Options
> Click "Delete Cookies", click OK, may take a few minutes
> Click "Delete Files"
> Check "Delete all offline content" click OK, may take a few minutes
> Click "Clear History" click Yes, may also take a few minutes
> Perform Disk Cleanup checking all boxes except "Compress old files"
> Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Clean-up
> -=-
>
> How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315246>
> Reboot
> -=-
>
> Test this WGA diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts working.
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/
> Reboot
> -=-
>
> Go ahead and download Dial-ª-Fix.
> <http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix>
> Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to Download Dial-ª-fix
> Click the Double green checkmark and click Go.
> Reboot
> Try the
> <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/>
> and D/L your updates
> -=-
>
> For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
>

> Ǝиçεl
> -=-
>

> <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=a1d8c 59b-9148-4153-9d71-7fbbd2a11bbe&mid=a1d8c59b-9148-4153-9d71-7fbbd2a11bbe>
>

> "LoMayok" wrote:
>
> > Windows xp sp3.
> > When trying to get an update this is what I got:
> >

> > Install the ActiveX control required to view the website
> > The website will not display correctly on your computer without this
> > control. To install it:
> > 1. Right-click the Internet Explorer Information Bar. It's located just
> > below the address bar.
> > 2. In the right-click menu, click Install ActiveX Control.
> > 3. In the Security Warning dialog box, click Install.
> >
> > Note: If the Information Bar doesn't appear, or if you've installed the
> > control but still can't use the website, take these steps to solve the
> > problem.
> >

> > Example: Internet Explorer Information Bar with right-click menu
> >

> > This started when I installed the full backup of Acronis True Image 11.0
> > Validation process still says that my windows is Genuine.
> > Nothing happens when I click on TOOLS >> MANAGE ADD ONS >> ENABLE OR DISABLE
> > ADD ONS.
> >
> > Needs help.
> >
> > Thanks...

Engel

RE: Activex control is gone
Hi LoMayok,

What about DAF ??
Go ahead and download Dial-ª-Fix.
<http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix>

For Windows Defender
Go ahead and download\update from here
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>

go to the Microsoft address specified, and
in the right column, download the 32-bit definitions.
-=-

Perhaps some maintenance, try running the "chkdsk /r" command at the command
prompt How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265>
-=-

You can also run
SFC

Go to start and run and type (remember the space after SFC)
SFC /SCANNOW
press enter and let it scan your system, if any files are damaged or missing
they will be replaced using the files on the windows disk
-=-

Good luck
-=-

"LoMayok" wrote:

> [...]
> > >

> > > Install the ActiveX control required to view the website
> > > The website will not display correctly on your computer without this
> > > control. To install it:
> > > 1. Right-click the Internet Explorer Information Bar. It's located just
> > > below the address bar.
> > > 2. In the right-click menu, click Install ActiveX Control.
> > > 3. In the Security Warning dialog box, click Install.
> > >
> > > Note: If the Information Bar doesn't appear, or if you've installed the
> > > control but still can't use the website, take these steps to solve the
> > > problem.
> > >

> > > Example: Internet Explorer Information Bar with right-click menu
> > >

> > > This started when I installed the full backup of Acronis True Image 11.0
> > > Validation process still says that my windows is Genuine.
> > > Nothing happens when I click on TOOLS >> MANAGE ADD ONS >> ENABLE OR DISABLE

LoMayok

RE: Activex control is gone
The original CD that I have is SP1 but updated my system to SP3. SFC
/SCANNOW is telling me that I have the wrong CD inserted in the drive.

My Computer >> right click "C" >> Properties >> Tools >> Check Now >>
Selecting the 2 Options >> OK. The chkdsk run after reboot. It did find
some corrupt files but I do not know exactly what it did with the files.

After all the above work, I run Dial-a-Fix then reboot.

Tried windows update and I am still stuck with the same problem.

"Engel" wrote:

> [...]
> > > Reboot
> > > Try the
> > > <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/>
> > > and D/L your updates
> > > -=-
> > >
> > > For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.
> > >
> > > I hope this post is helpful.
> > >
> > > Let us know how it works ºut.
> > >

> > > Ǝиçεl
> > > -=-
> > >

> > > <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=a1d8c 59b-9148-4153-9d71-7fbbd2a11bbe&mid=a1d8c59b-9148-4153-9d71-7fbbd2a11bbe>

Re: Activex control is gone
>>> All of these problems occured after the infection of Vundo Trojan.
>>> Clean
>>> up was done using super antispyware, trojan remover, anti trojan elite,

You've got more work to do:

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

LoMayok wrote:
> The original CD that I have is SP1 but updated my system to SP3. SFC
> /SCANNOW is telling me that I have the wrong CD inserted in the drive.
>
> My Computer >> right click "C" >> Properties >> Tools >> Check Now >>
> Selecting the 2 Options >> OK. The chkdsk run after reboot. It did
> find some corrupt files but I do not know exactly what it did with the
> files.
>
> After all the above work, I run Dial-a-Fix then reboot.
>
> Tried windows update and I am still stuck with the same problem.
>
>> What about DAF ??
>> Go ahead and download Dial-ª-Fix.
>> <http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix>
>>
>> For Windows Defender
>> Go ahead and download\update from here
>> <http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>
>>
>> go to the Microsoft address specified, and
>> in the right column, download the 32-bit definitions.
>> -=-
>>
>> Perhaps some maintenance, try running the "chkdsk /r" command at the
>> command prompt How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP
>> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265>
>> -=-
>>
>> You can also run
>> SFC
>>
>> Go to start and run and type (remember the space after SFC)
>> SFC /SCANNOW
>> press enter and let it scan your system, if any files are damaged or
>> missing they will be replaced using the files on the windows disk
>>
>> "LoMayok" wrote:
>>> All of these problems occured after the infection of Vundo Trojan.
>>> Clean
>>> up was done using super antispyware, trojan remover, anti trojan elite,
>>> kaspersky and avg.
>>>
>>> Genuine Microsoft Validation says "genuine" but failed in WGA Diagnose
>>> in
>>> cryptography.
>>>
>>> Is there a fix to this or reformat is the only way?

<snip>

LoMayok

Re: Activex control is gone
I tried download center and it let me download IE8 beta 2. Installed it and
everything is working normally just like before. Windows update is no pain
anymore.

Thanks for all your time....

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You've got more work to do:
>
> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> LoMayok wrote:
> > The original CD that I have is SP1 but updated my system to SP3. SFC
> > /SCANNOW is telling me that I have the wrong CD inserted in the drive.
> >
> > My Computer >> right click "C" >> Properties >> Tools >> Check Now >>
> > Selecting the 2 Options >> OK. The chkdsk run after reboot. It did
> > find some corrupt files but I do not know exactly what it did with the
> > files.
> >
> > After all the above work, I run Dial-a-Fix then reboot.
> >
> > Tried windows update and I am still stuck with the same problem.
> >
> >> What about DAF ??
> >> Go ahead and download Dial-ª-Fix.
> >> <http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix>
> >>
> >> For Windows Defender
> >> Go ahead and download\update from here
> >> <http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>
> >>
> >> go to the Microsoft address specified, and
> >> in the right column, download the 32-bit definitions.
> >> -=-
> >>
> >> Perhaps some maintenance, try running the "chkdsk /r" command at the
> >> command prompt How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP
> >> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265>
> >> -=-
> >>
> >> You can also run
> >> SFC
> >>
> >> Go to start and run and type (remember the space after SFC)
> >> SFC /SCANNOW
> >> press enter and let it scan your system, if any files are damaged or
> >> missing they will be replaced using the files on the windows disk

> <snip>

Re: Activex control is gone
You were very lucky, IMHO. I suspect that installing IE8B2 was the
equivalent of doing a Reset in your previous IE version.

Now, what happens after you've uninstalled IE8B2?

NB: If WinXP SP3 is not installed yet and you then install it without having
first uninstalled IE8B2, you will NOT be able to uninstall IE8B2 unless you
first uninstall SP3!

LoMayok wrote:
> I tried download center and it let me download IE8 beta 2. Installed it
> and
> everything is working normally just like before. Windows update is no
> pain
> anymore.
>
> Thanks for all your time....

>> You've got more work to do:
>>
>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
>> (in conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
>> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
>> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
>> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting

>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> LoMayok wrote:
>>> The original CD that I have is SP1 but updated my system to SP3. SFC
>>> /SCANNOW is telling me that I have the wrong CD inserted in the drive.
>>>
>>> My Computer >> right click "C" >> Properties >> Tools >> Check Now >>
>>> Selecting the 2 Options >> OK. The chkdsk run after reboot. It did
>>> find some corrupt files but I do not know exactly what it did with the
>>> files.
>>>
>>> After all the above work, I run Dial-a-Fix then reboot.
>>>
>>> Tried windows update and I am still stuck with the same problem.

>> <snip>

LoMayok

Re: Activex control is gone
My system is already in SP3. As of now I am very happy with the performance
of IE8 beta2.