Re: Page Cannot Be Displayed

[Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

You have an excellent tool at your fingertips which will allow you to
configure Automatic Updates such that *you* can decide (1) what updates are
downloaded, (2) when the updates are downloaded, (3) which updates are
installed, and (4) when the updates are installed.

Automatic Updates in WinXP
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow...windowsxp.mspx

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

karatche wrote:
> There-in lies the problem with automatic update. You cannot disable
> aiti-virus or other running applications when this update is done
> automatically. Seems that microsoft should require a hands on approach
> with
> this update.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> 99% of the time, such problems are caused by the fact the "real-time
>> protections" afforded by anti-virus and/or anti-spyware applications
>> and/or
>> third-party firewalls were NOT disabled prior to installing WinXP SP3.
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>> --
>>
>> karatche wrote:
>>> I emailed free support for SP3 and recieved the following reply. I
>>> followed
>>> the course of action which was very easy to accomplish and it seems to
>>> have
>>> resolved my problem. I will paste the directions here:
>>>

>>> This issue can be caused by improper IE settings. Let’s try the
>>> following
>>> steps to reset Internet Explorer:
>>> Reset Internet Explorer (IE)
>>> ====================
>>> Note: This step will help us clear cookies, restore the security level
>>> back
>>> to the default settings, and disable third-party browser extensions.
>>> Before
>>> trying the steps, we can export the cookies so they can be easily
>>> restored
>>> later if you desire:
>>>
>>> 1. Press "Alt" from your keyboard, click "File", and click "Import and
>>> Export".
>>> 2. Click "Next", select "Export Cookies", and click "Next".
>>> 3. The file is saved by default to your “Documents” folder, click "OK".
>>>
>>> If you would like to import the cookies after resolving the issue,
>>> please
>>> select “Import Cookies” in file menu to import the saved cookies file
>>> and
>>> choose the “cookies” file from your “Documents” folder.
>>>
>>> For Internet Explorer 6.0:
>>> 1. Click Start, Run, type: “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) and
>>> press
>>> Enter.
>>> 2. Select the General tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window,
>>> click
>>> "Delete Cookies", and click OK.
>>> 3. In the same tab click Delete Files, check the "Delete all offline
>>> contents" box and click OK.
>>> 4. Click the Programs tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".
>>> 5. Click the Advanced tab, and click "Restore Defaults".
>>> 6. Under the Advanced tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser