XP update service pack 3 and cumulatice IE 6 and IE7

AmbassadorNettie

XP update service pack 3 and cumulatice IE 6 and IE7
All of these fail on my pc as the HKLM registry key FEATURE_IMAGING_USE_ART
key is empty and locked with unknown permissions that I have been unable to
change. This is a widespread problem with few solutions.
I have not found a fix that works for me yet. I cannot change the
permissions in the registry.
Any ideas.
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: XP update service pack 3 and cumulatice IE 6 and IE7
AmbassadorNettie wrote:

> All of these fail on my pc as the HKLM registry key FEATURE_IMAGING_USE_ART
> key is empty and locked with unknown permissions that I have been unable to
> change. This is a widespread problem with few solutions.
> I have not found a fix that works for me yet. I cannot change the
> permissions in the registry.

Have you tried taking ownership of the registry key first? (Under Advanced in
the permissions dialog.)

Harry.

Re: XP update service pack 3 and cumulatice IE 6 and IE7
1. Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for

2. Start a free Windows Update support incident request:

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB956390).

If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue" (which is
47830).

your usual support contacts.
MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Securiy, Shell/User)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

AmbassadorNettie wrote:
> All of these fail on my pc as the HKLM registry key
> FEATURE_IMAGING_USE_ART
> key is empty and locked with unknown permissions that I have been unable
> change. This is a widespread problem with few solutions.
> I have not found a fix that works for me yet. I cannot change the
> permissions in the registry.
> Any ideas.

AmbassadorNettie

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> AmbassadorNettie wrote:
>
> > All of these fail on my pc as the HKLM registry key FEATURE_IMAGING_USE_ART
> > key is empty and locked with unknown permissions that I have been unable to
> > change. This is a widespread problem with few solutions.
> > I have not found a fix that works for me yet. I cannot change the
> > permissions in the registry.

> Have you tried taking ownership of the registry key first? (Under Advanced in
> the permissions dialog.)
>
> Harry.

I couldn't change the owner but suddenly there is a visible key for it.
Hopefully, that will fix things as the key is now visible.
Not too hopeful of an update as the registry value above (_Password) is now
invisible.
Looks like a windows problem to me and annoying that MS is so quiet.
Thanks for the idea.

AmbassadorNettie

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 1. Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>
> 2. Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB956390).
>
> If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
> above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue" (which is
> 47830).

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Securiy, Shell/User)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
> AmbassadorNettie wrote:
> > All of these fail on my pc as the HKLM registry key
> > FEATURE_IMAGING_USE_ART
> > key is empty and locked with unknown permissions that I have been unable
> > change. This is a widespread problem with few solutions.
> > I have not found a fix that works for me yet. I cannot change the
> > permissions in the registry.
> > Any ideas.

Not in the US unfortunately. !
AmbassadorNettie

"AmbassadorNettie" wrote:

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > 1. Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> > Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> > e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> > XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> >
> > 2. Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >
> > Support for Windows Update:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >
> > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
> > the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> > subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> > security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> > to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB956390).
> >
> > If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
> > above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue" (which is
> > 47830).
> >
> > For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> > for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> > site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> >
> > For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
> > your usual support contacts.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Securiy, Shell/User)
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
> >
> > AmbassadorNettie wrote:
> > > All of these fail on my pc as the HKLM registry key
> > > FEATURE_IMAGING_USE_ART
> > > key is empty and locked with unknown permissions that I have been unable
> > > change. This is a widespread problem with few solutions.
> > > I have not found a fix that works for me yet. I cannot change the
> > > permissions in the registry.
> > > Any ideas.

> Not in the US unfortunately. !

But as reported above. Messing in Advanced options (and not getting anything
but a permssion denied) suprisingly partially exposed the key.Fully exposed
it when I could change permissions which happened after running the update
again (and getting another failure).

Thank you all
AmbassadorNettie

"AmbassadorNettie" wrote:

> "AmbassadorNettie" wrote:
>

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > 1. Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> > > Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> > > e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> > > XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> > >
> > > 2. Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> > > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> > >
> > > Support for Windows Update:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> > >
> > > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
> > > the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> > > subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> > > security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> > > to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB956390).
> > >
> > > If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
> > > above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue" (which is
> > > 47830).
> > >
> > > For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> > > for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> > > site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> > >
> > > For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
> > > your usual support contacts.
> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Securiy, Shell/User)
> > > AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

> > Not in the US unfortunately. !

> But as reported above. Messing in Advanced options (and not getting anything
> but a permssion denied) suprisingly partially exposed the key.Fully exposed
> it when I could change permissions which happened after running the update
> again (and getting another failure).
>
> Thank you all

May be down to registry entrants (cs.exe, waol.exe, wm.exe)

AmbassadorNettie wrote:

>>> Not in the US unfortunately. !

>> But as reported above. Messing in Advanced options (and not getting
>> anything but a permssion denied) suprisingly partially exposed the
>> key.Fully exposed it when I could change permissions which happened after
>> running the update again (and getting another failure).
>>
>> Thank you all

> May be down to registry entrants (cs.exe, waol.exe, wm.exe)

Both of the above are available to you, no matter where you live.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

AmbassadorNettie wrote:

> I couldn't change the owner but suddenly there is a visible key for it.
> Hopefully, that will fix things as the key is now visible.
> Not too hopeful of an update as the registry value above (_Password) is now
> invisible.
> Looks like a windows problem to me and annoying that MS is so quiet.

You do realise MS don't monitor this newsgroup? PA Bear has provided you with
the details for opening a support call.

Harry.
AmbassadorNettie

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> >> But as reported above. Messing in Advanced options (and not getting
> >> anything but a permssion denied) suprisingly partially exposed the
> >> key.Fully exposed it when I could change permissions which happened after
> >> running the update again (and getting another failure).
> >>
> >> Thank you all

> > May be down to registry entrants (cs.exe, waol.exe, wm.exe)

> Both of the above are available to you, no matter where you live.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Thank you for that. I may try them if I can't resolve things completely.
After fixing the permissions and getting the cumulative update done, I
managed to also fix the permission issues with the ie7 install. Now I am only
stuck with update wanting to initiate a restart and the laptop ignoring it
completely. The joy of endless little bugs. If I didn't have to encrypt the
dang thing I wouldn't be bothering!
Appreciate your time and assistance.