Re: windows update blocked...

Brit33

Re: windows update blocked...

"Alias" wrote:

> Gordon J. Rattray wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > My main machine has a problem with the "wuauclt.exe" service process
> > grabbing 99% of the processor when Windows goes for the updates. Only way to
> > get the machine to run properly is to disable the Windows Update service.
> >
> > I did the Kapersky check, the MS Live Safety Site check, SpyBot, Pest
> > Patrol, and Ad Aware and nothing came up in the way of malware.
> >

> > But it still hangs when going to Windows update... "wuauclt.exe" grabs the
> > processor at 99% and just slows the machine to a crawl... otherwise if I
> > disable the Automatic Update services the machines runs just great.... it's
> > just that one thing, hanging at the update as if it's looking for something
> > it can't find....
> >
> > Any specific worm/virus that could be causing this? Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gordon
> >

> The original wuauclt.exe from Microsoft should be found at
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe. If you find it anywhere else then you
> should be suspicious for sure.
>
> Sophos:
>
> http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/anal...&action=search
>
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.

Brit33

Re: windows update blocked...

> > Gordon J. Rattray wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > My main machine has a problem with the "wuauclt.exe" service process
> > > grabbing 99% of the processor when Windows goes for the updates. Only way to
> > > get the machine to run properly is to disable the Windows Update service.
> > >
> > > I did the Kapersky check, the MS Live Safety Site check, SpyBot, Pest
> > > Patrol, and Ad Aware and nothing came up in the way of malware.
> > >

> > > But it still hangs when going to Windows update... "wuauclt.exe" grabs the
> > > processor at 99% and just slows the machine to a crawl... otherwise if I
> > > disable the Automatic Update services the machines runs just great.... it's
> > > just that one thing, hanging at the update as if it's looking for something
> > > it can't find....
> > >
> > > Any specific worm/virus that could be causing this? Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Gordon
> > >

> > The original wuauclt.exe from Microsoft should be found at
> > C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe. If you find it anywhere else then you
> > should be suspicious for sure.
> >
> > Sophos:
> >
> > http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/anal...&action=search

I am still trying to research the problem, as My machine is doing precisely
what Gordons has done, the wuauclt.exe runs at start up and continues to keep
the hard drive running, until I go into the task manager and manually stop
the process. It also will randomely start up , and virtually 'freeze' up any
and all programmes that are running at that moment.
If this is a virus or such, the Virus software is not finding it.
I looked in the folder that was recommended, and found 3 files with the
wuauclt in the name, so am back to being lost again?
Please any assistance.?
Marcus Laurén

Re: windows update blocked...
Hi,

Did you find 3 files with that name in the folder:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\
or did you find 3 files in your harddrive (any volume) with the name:
wuauclt.exe, or any other extension not .exe ?

If this behavior keeps up and no AV or anti-spyware can detect: I should
consider reinstalling windows completely.

Kind regards,
Marcus Laurén