Service Pack 2 for XP won't download through Windows Update

Standing Gopher

Service Pack 2 for XP won't download through Windows Update
Hi. I just installed a clean copy of Windows XP Home Service Pack 1 and I
want to let Windows Update go ahead and run itself through and download all
of the updates I need. Service Pack 2 came up and I started the download. It
made it past the initial download verification, but it gets stuck right at
the downloading part. The progress bar doesn't move even when it's been
"downloading" for over a half hour.

Now I've done clean installs before and usually SP 2 only takes me an hour
in total to install (download + installation) but now I can't even get it to
download. I'm guessing it could be some server issue on Microsoft's side, so
I figured I'd post about it here.
TaurArian

Re: Service Pack 2 for XP won't download through Windows Update
You can always download the full file (and keep). Are you aware that SP3 is
now available?

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)

Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional, x64 Edition, Windows Server
2003, x64 Editions
Windows Server 2003 R2, x64 Editions, Windows Server 2003 Compute Cluster
Edition with Service Pack 1
Windows Server 2003 Storage Server R2, x64 Editions

FYI - Slipstreaming links
Autostreamer Instructions/download:
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/u...ostreamer.html

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsX...p2-bootcd.html
Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

SP3-
Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after you
install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers (Single installations for PCs can use the same file)

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================
guarantees and doesn't give any rights.

"Standing Gopher" <Standing Gopher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A7BCB831-5836-40A6-9D6F-B07BAB3347D6@microsoft.com...
> Hi. I just installed a clean copy of Windows XP Home Service Pack 1 and I
> want to let Windows Update go ahead and run itself through and download
> all
> of the updates I need. Service Pack 2 came up and I started the download.
> It
> made it past the initial download verification, but it gets stuck right at
> the downloading part. The progress bar doesn't move even when it's been
> "downloading" for over a half hour.
>
> Now I've done clean installs before and usually SP 2 only takes me an hour
> in total to install (download + installation) but now I can't even get it
> download. I'm guessing it could be some server issue on Microsoft's side,
> so
> I figured I'd post about it here.

maxVPL@gmail.com

Re: Service Pack 2 for XP won't download through Windows Update
On Nov 3, 7:23*pm, Standing Gopher <Standing
Gop...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi. I just installed a clean copy of Windows XP Home Service Pack 1 and I
> want to let Windows Update go ahead and run itself through and download all
> of the updates I need. Service Pack 2 came up and I started the download.It
> made it past the initial download verification, but it gets stuck right at
> the downloading part. The progress bar doesn't move even when it's been
> "downloading" for over a half hour.
>
> Now I've done clean installs before and usually SP 2 only takes me an hour
> in total to install (download + installation) but now I can't even get itto
> download. I'm guessing it could be some server issue on Microsoft's side,so
> I figured I'd post about it here.

The Windows Update server is going extremely slow right now, and not
even responding to most of my pings and tracerts. I've also been
trying to download Service Pack 2, and I can tell from monitoring my
network connection that I'm getting an average of about 10kb/sec right
now. This sucks.

Re: Service Pack 2 for XP won't download through Windows Update
HOW TO get WinXP SP1 fully patched:

1. Download & save the installer for WinXP SP3 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1e1555d4f3d4

[Yes, you can skip WinXP SP2 altogether.]

2. Read & heed:

3. Logged in as Administrator, if necessary, double-click on the saved file
to install WinXP SP3. Follow all prompts; be patient, and reboot twice when
the install completes.

4. Do Resolution Method 2 here (trust me):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

5. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Install any required software
then click on CONTINUE | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any critical
security updates offered. Again, follow all prompts.

[I do NOT recommend installing IE7 via Windows Update.]

6. Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Addtional References:

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/