No CD writing since updating XP to SP3.

John

No CD writing since updating XP to SP3.
Last week I updated my computer to SP3. I have made no other changes
since. Today I discovered that I am unable to burn CDs.

I found a message suggesting to check that the IMAPI CD-Burning COM
Service is running. I found that it was not running. I changed the
setting from manual start to automatic start and rebooted. Now the
service is running but I still can't burn CDs.

When I installed SP3, I had trouble getting it to install. I had to
install Subinacl and run a script on the registry as described at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377. After doing that, SP3 installed
OK and no problems were noted until today.

The two CD burning programs I have tried are Exact Audio Copy v0.95b4
and Padus Discjuggler v4.60. I use both of these programs frequently and
they both were working fine until I installed SP3. Any suggestions as to
how to fix this? Thanks!

John
--
Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
email address to prevent spam. Thank you.
John

Re: No CD writing since updating XP to SP3.
John wrote:
> Last week I updated my computer to SP3. I have made no other changes
> since. Today I discovered that I am unable to burn CDs.
>
> I found a message suggesting to check that the IMAPI CD-Burning COM
> Service is running. I found that it was not running. I changed the
> setting from manual start to automatic start and rebooted. Now the
> service is running but I still can't burn CDs.
>
> When I installed SP3, I had trouble getting it to install. I had to
> install Subinacl and run a script on the registry as described at
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377. After doing that, SP3 installed
> OK and no problems were noted until today.
>
> The two CD burning programs I have tried are Exact Audio Copy v0.95b4
> and Padus Discjuggler v4.60. I use both of these programs frequently and
> they both were working fine until I installed SP3. Any suggestions as to
> how to fix this? Thanks!
>
> John

Update: Just before installing SP3, I had also installed KB958644 and
KB951072, so perhaps one of these is responsible for this problem.

John

John wrote:
>> Last week I updated my computer to SP3. I have made no other changes
>> since. Today I discovered that I am unable to burn CDs.
>>
>> I found a message suggesting to check that the IMAPI CD-Burning COM
>> Service is running. I found that it was not running. I changed the
>> setting from manual start to automatic start and rebooted. Now the
>> service is running but I still can't burn CDs.
>>
>> When I installed SP3, I had trouble getting it to install. I had to
>> install Subinacl and run a script on the registry as described at
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377. After doing that, SP3 installed
>> OK and no problems were noted until today.
>>
>> The two CD burning programs I have tried are Exact Audio Copy v0.95b4
>> and Padus Discjuggler v4.60. I use both of these programs frequently and
>> they both were working fine until I installed SP3. Any suggestions as to
>> how to fix this? Thanks!

> Update: Just before installing SP3, I had also installed KB958644 and
> KB951072, so perhaps one of these is responsible for this problem.

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Robert Aldwinckle

"John" <notme@nospam.org> wrote in message news:e1gyd7hPJHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> John wrote:
>> Last week I updated my computer to SP3. I have made no other changes
>> since. Today I discovered that I am unable to burn CDs.
>>
>> I found a message suggesting to check that the IMAPI CD-Burning COM
>> Service is running. I found that it was not running. I changed the
>> setting from manual start to automatic start and rebooted. Now the
>> service is running but I still can't burn CDs.
>>
>> When I installed SP3, I had trouble getting it to install. I had to
>> install Subinacl and run a script on the registry as described at
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377. After doing that, SP3 installed
>> OK and no problems were noted until today.
>>
>> The two CD burning programs I have tried are Exact Audio Copy v0.95b4
>> and Padus Discjuggler v4.60. I use both of these programs frequently and
>> they both were working fine until I installed SP3. Any suggestions as to
>> how to fix this? Thanks!
>>
>> John

> Update: Just before installing SP3, I had also installed KB958644 and
> KB951072, so perhaps one of these is responsible for this problem.

If so then your versions of all the modules involved could be relevant.
Fortunately most of the file version detail in those articles is about
OS other than yours. ; )

However, if .NET is a factor, perhaps you should be checking
with the authors of the programs you are having trouble with
to see if there are any compatibility issues that way?

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

I opened a support incident by email and received a message asking for
more information. I was going to gather the requested information, but
then I discovered another new problem. My file-sharing settings were no
longer active. I had to rerun the wizard to fix it. Not a huge problem,
but it added to my uneasiness with the SP3 upgrade on this box. How many
other problems remain undiscovered? Obviously, no way to know for sure.
So I used System Restore to go back to the day before I installed SP3.
CD-Burning is now working fine again.

John

John wrote:
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>> "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

> I opened a support incident by email and received a message asking for
> more information. I was going to gather the requested information, but
> then I discovered another new problem. My file-sharing settings were no
> longer active. I had to rerun the wizard to fix it. Not a huge problem,
> but it added to my uneasiness with the SP3 upgrade on this box. How many
> other problems remain undiscovered? Obviously, no way to know for sure.
> So I used System Restore to go back to the day before I installed SP3.
> CD-Burning is now working fine again.

Thank you for the feedback. Why didn't you simply uninstall WinXP SP3 via
Add/Remove Programs instead of using System Restore, John?

Fact: If you do not have SP3 installed by April 2010, your machine will not
be offered any further critical security updates.

Fact: Free installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 (only) ends
14 April 2009.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Thank you for the feedback. Why didn't you simply uninstall WinXP SP3
> via Add/Remove Programs instead of using System Restore, John?

I strongly suspected that the problem was not the SP3 installation per
se but rather the script operation I had to perform on the registry
first (see KB949377) before SP3 would install. I wanted to not only
remove SP3 but also restore the registry to what it was prior to running
the script. System Restore, when it works, has been a lifesaver for me
more than once.

I would still like to have SP3 on this system. I will probably open
another incident with MS to see if they can help me figure out what was
preventing a normal SP3 upgrade.

John

John wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Thank you for the feedback. Why didn't you simply uninstall WinXP SP3
>> via Add/Remove Programs instead of using System Restore, John?

> I strongly suspected that the problem was not the SP3 installation per
> se but rather the script operation I had to perform on the registry
> first (see KB949377) before SP3 would install. I wanted to not only
> remove SP3 but also restore the registry to what it was prior to running
> the script. System Restore, when it works, has been a lifesaver for me
> more than once.

I understand, but in that case it probably would've been preferable to (1)
uninstall SP3 via Add/Remove Programs before (2) using System Restore.

Good luck.