MS08-045 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (953838)

JAG

MS08-045 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (953838)
Do I really have to manually determine changes made to my system via
the following update: MS08-045 - Cumulative Security Update for
Internet Explorer (953838), or is there another (easier) way to find
the details of what's been changed otherwise?

I was hoping to get details regarding the changes by searching the
net, but I've so far come up empty handed other than the couple of
generalized pages Microsoft provides. The Common Vulnerabilities and
Exposures list details does not provide any specific details of
changes either.

Something in this update has broken some of my Javascript code in my
HTA, where I previously displayed information in 3 frames. I'm now
getting Page Not Found errors in these frames.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Re: MS08-045 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (953838)
posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state your IE version.

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB999999).

LOOK!! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue"
(which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

JAG wrote:
<snip>
> Something in this update has broken some of my Javascript code in my
> HTA, where I previously displayed information in 3 frames. I'm now
> getting Page Not Found errors in these frames.
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight.

JAG

Re: MS08-045 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer(953838)
Thanks for the reply, and sorry about the lack of information in my

I've noticed the issue both on Win2K and XP (both with the latest SP
installed), and both IE6 and IE7 are affected similarly when the
update is applied. No anti-virus or firewall comes into play at this
stage.

I am working as a commercial developer, though not a subscriber to
MSDN.

Thanks again for your prompt reply and information.

On Nov 3, 5:19*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> posting to this newsgroup. *In this case, also state your IE version.

> subscription current? *What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?

Re: MS08-045 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (953838)
To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

> ...No anti-virus or firewall comes into play at this stage.

Explain, please (i.e., no anti-virus application is installed and no
firewall is enabled).

Have you opened a free support incident about this behavior yet?

More references which might help you figure out what's going on:

See these MSDN pages: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537623.aspx and
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx

MSDN IE Development Forums
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/def...D=253&SiteID=1
~~
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

JAG wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, and sorry about the lack of information in my
>
> I've noticed the issue both on Win2K and XP (both with the latest SP
> installed), and both IE6 and IE7 are affected similarly when the
> update is applied. No anti-virus or firewall comes into play at this
> stage.
>
> I am working as a commercial developer, though not a subscriber to
> MSDN.
>
> Thanks again for your prompt reply and information.

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state your IE version.

> Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> Support for Windows Update:
>
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> in
> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB999999).
>
> LOOK!! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
> call the above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue"
> (which is 47830).

> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> through
> your usual support contacts.
>
> JAG wrote:
> <snip>
>> Something in this update has broken some of my Javascript code in my
>> HTA, where I previously displayed information in 3 frames. I'm now
>> getting Page Not Found errors in these frames.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any insight.

Robert Aldwinckle

"JAG" <mleonard@omegavue.com> wrote in message news:ec7c6761-cc70-44c3-bb7d-26b751df5ffb@o40g2000prn.googlegroups.com...

>>> Something in this update has broken some of my Javascript code in my
>>> HTA, where I previously displayed information in 3 frames. I'm now

> I've noticed the issue both on Win2K and XP (both with the latest SP

installed),
> and both IE6 and IE7 are affected similarly when the update is applied.

>> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> No anti-virus or firewall comes into play at this stage.

Explain? Your symptom involves connectivity. Connectivity can be
affected by a firewall. A third-party firewall can react negatively
to new versions of programs which want to initiate outbound connections
iexplore.exe (for example) either while they are in place or enabled
or until they are changed to allow the new versions to operate normally.

BTW it would be really helpful if you would post with Plain Text
instead of Quoted Printable (e.g. HTML if that is what is causing it.)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

<QP>

JAG

On Nov 4, 1:45*pm, "Robert Aldwinckle" <rob...@techemail.com> wrote:

> > I've noticed the issue both on Win2K and XP (both with the latest SP

> installed),
> > and both IE6 and IE7 are affected similarly when the update is applied.
> >> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> > No anti-virus or firewall comes into play at this stage.

> Explain? * Your symptom involves connectivity. * Connectivity can be
> affected by a firewall. * A third-party firewall can react negatively
> to new versions of programs which want to initiate outbound connections
> iexplore.exe *(for example) either while they are in place or enabled
> or until they are changed to allow the new versions to operate normally.
>
> BTW it would be really helpful if you would post with Plain Text
> instead of *Quoted Printable *(e.g. HTML if that is what is causing it.)
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
> <QP>

Thanks, once again, for the feedback.

I apologize for the lack of clarity in my previous posts and
potentially wasting your time.

I am using the web browser to participate here, and figured that that
would eliminate formatting concerns, etc. I see no switches in this
interface allowing me to specify Plain Text in my posts. Am I missing
something?

Re: MS08-045 - Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (953838)
JAG wrote:
<snippage>
>> BTW it would be really helpful if you would post with Plain Text
>> instead of Quoted Printable (e.g. HTML if that is what is causing it.)
>>

> Thanks, once again, for the feedback.
>
> I apologize for the lack of clarity in my previous posts and
> potentially wasting your time.
>
> I am using the web browser to participate here, and figured that that
> would eliminate formatting concerns, etc. I see no switches in this
> interface allowing me to specify Plain Text in my posts. Am I missing
> something?

Quoted/Printable is the default when posting via Google Groups and you can't
change it, unfortunately. However, you can access this newsgroup via the MS
web-interface or via your default newsreader (e.g., Outlook Express):

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities....windowsupdate