Windows Automatic Update

Mike

Windows Automatic Update
For some reason and for the last couple of months, I am unable to get Windows
to Automatically Update my computer. I have
deleted Avast and and tried again. I have tried the control panel and
services.msc in Start/Run/services.msc to change the automatic update to no
avail.
When I double click on the "red x" in the task bar and press "Turn On
Automatic Updates", it gives me the following message: We are sorry. The
security center couldn't change your Automatic Updates Settings. ..... Go to
system in control panel.
I changed it there, pressed Apply, however the changes don't go thru because
the balloon is still red.
I went to Microsoft Website and changed it there, this is what I get:
"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options:
Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:
Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)"

System O/S: Windows XP
Antivirus: Avast

I've scanned all the drives, found Trojan viruses and destroyed them.

Help! Anyone.
Engel

RE: Windows Automatic Update
Hello Mike,

<I've scanned all the drives, found Trojan viruses and destroyed them.

Which method did you use cleaning the Trojan?

Using Internet Explorer, have the system scanned here:
<http://onecare.live.com/site/en-au/center/howsafe.htm>
-=-

Do a full scan with MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware.
SUPERAntiSpyware, together with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, are free malaware
scanning application's

A very good antimalware app is SUPERAntiSpyware.
There is a free version (on demand scanning only), the paid for version
includes active monitoring, similar to Windows defender:
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
The trial version of SUPERAntiSpyware Pro (SAS):
<http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html>
-=-

Malwarebytes Antimalware
<http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
-=-

Try this:

Search for and delete all files "*.tmp"
Search for all files "temp" Delete the contents of them, do NOT delete the
folder.
Go to Control Panel
Click Internet Options
Click "Delete Cookies", click OK, may take a few minutes
Click "Delete Files"
Check "Delete all offline content" click OK, may take a few minutes
Click "Clear History" click Yes, may also take a few minutes
Perform Disk Cleanup checking all boxes except "Compress old files"
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Clean-up
-=-

How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315246>
Reboot
-=-

Test this WGA diagnose test, connection to MS, that scripts working.
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/
Reboot
-=-

Go ahead and download Dial-ª-Fix.
<http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix>
Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to Download Dial-ª-fix
Click the Double green checkmark and click Go.
Reboot
Try the
<http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/>
and D/L your updates
-=-

Cleaning a Compromised System
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx>
-=-

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315>
-=-

For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Ǝиçεl

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"Mike" wrote:

> For some reason and for the last couple of months, I am unable to get Windows
> to Automatically Update my computer. I have
> deleted Avast and and tried again. I have tried the control panel and
> services.msc in Start/Run/services.msc to change the automatic update to no
> avail.
> When I double click on the "red x" in the task bar and press "Turn On
> Automatic Updates", it gives me the following message: We are sorry. The
> security center couldn't change your Automatic Updates Settings. ..... Go to
> system in control panel.
> I changed it there, pressed Apply, however the changes don't go thru because
> the balloon is still red.
> I went to Microsoft Website and changed it there, this is what I get:
> "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
> For self-help options:
> Frequently Asked Questions
> Find Solutions
> Windows Update Newsgroup
> For assisted support options:
> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)"
>
> System O/S: Windows XP
> Antivirus: Avast
>
> I've scanned all the drives, found Trojan viruses and destroyed them.
>
> Help! Anyone.

Mike

RE: Windows Automatic Update
Thanks Engel for all the suggestions. The good news is that my problem is
solved and this is how:

I followed all your instructions and redid it to no avail. Then I went to
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...00810_oob.mspx
and downloaded the "Update Tool" manually, installed it, rebooted the
computer ... voila. All security updates that I had missed were downloaded
and installed on my computer.

Thanks so much for your help.

"Engel" wrote:

> [...]

> > security center couldn't change your Automatic Updates Settings. ..... Go to
> > system in control panel.
> > I changed it there, pressed Apply, however the changes don't go thru because
> > the balloon is still red.
> > I went to Microsoft Website and changed it there, this is what I get:
> > "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are
> > trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
> > For self-help options:
> > Frequently Asked Questions
> > Find Solutions
> > Windows Update Newsgroup
> > For assisted support options:
> > Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)"
> >
> > System O/S: Windows XP
> > Antivirus: Avast
> >
> > I've scanned all the drives, found Trojan viruses and destroyed them.

Mike

RE: Windows Automatic Update
I guess our success was short lived. This is very strange! I thought the
problem got corrected and Automatic Updates started working fine. However, a
few days into the "feeling good" period and right after Automatic Updates
triggered me to download the Security Updates, which were later installed and
subsequent " PC Reboot" took place, I was shocked to learn that the problem
is back.

Any ideas?