Windows Automatic Update

Sharon

Windows Automatic Update
I am unable to get Windows to Automatically Update my computer. I have
tried disabling McAfee and Spybot. It appears that since I have changed my
email provider from BT to Sky I have had this problem - I have been through
the control panel and also gone to services.msc to change the automatic
update but this still does not work. I get an error message saying
"Error:1058 This service cannot be started either because it is disable or
because it has no enabled devices associated with it" When I try to manually
update I get the same error.

I am running XP.

Can somebody please help.
Engel

RE: Windows Automatic Update
Hello Sharon,

First - ensure you do not have "Vundo". Clean it up if you do.

It seems possible that your Windows installation has been deliberately
damaged by a trojan (Vundo, along any uninvited guests. (SDBot and ZLOB, all
protected by a rootkit.)) so as to prevent you updating your system or
removing the trojan.

Your first priority must be to cleanse your PC of all malware.

A very good antimalware app is SUPERAntiSpyware.

There is a free version (on demand scanning only), the paid for version
includes active monitoring, similar to Windows defender:
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
The trial version of SUPERAntiSpyware Pro (SAS):
<http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html>

Have a look at this articles. It may be relevant to your problem.

The above explanation was for a previous Version of BITS but, there has been
an update for BITS since Vista came out.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939159>

Is BITS disabled ? It can be set to Manual and the system will update
successfully but, will not update if BITS is Disabled.

Suggest you run the BITS Repair Tool to see if that helps resolve the issue
after installing the update for it:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520>

Can't fix BITS - Windows Update
<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&p=1&tid=307d2 1a2-eb9a-4859-b139-78997305deff&mid=307d21a2-eb9a-4859-b139-78997305deff>

The symptoms you describe indicate that a malware known as
Vundo\Virtumonde is resident. Using Internet Explorer, have the system
scanned here:
<http://onecare.live.com/site/en-au/center/howsafe.htm>

Several posters in this newsgroup have reported that the malware was
successfully removed using the above scanner.

Others have used Superantispyware to remove the malware.
You can use google to find it if the OneCare scan doesn't remove it.

If, the system is clean of malware, then read on:

"Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. Error 1058"
error message when you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service
Source:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838428>

You cannot manually start the Automatic Updates service and you receive
an "Error 1058" error message on a computer that is running Windows XP
or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
Source:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896224>

This will give you a starting point for your troubleshooting anyway.

Please let us know if the problem remains

Ǝиçεl
-=

"Sharon" wrote:

> I am unable to get Windows to Automatically Update my computer. I have
> tried disabling McAfee and Spybot. It appears that since I have changed my
> email provider from BT to Sky I have had this problem - I have been through
> the control panel and also gone to services.msc to change the automatic
> update but this still does not work. I get an error message saying
> "Error:1058 This service cannot be started either because it is disable or
> because it has no enabled devices associated with it" When I try to manually
> update I get the same error.
>
> I am running XP.
>
> Can somebody please help.

Re: Windows Automatic Update
There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection, which is
usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
protected by a rootkit.

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm