Windows update in vista won't work, how do I fix it?

fireweed

Windows update in vista won't work, how do I fix it?
My windows update hasn't worked since July and I get and error message code
800704090 and I can't get any updates.

I thought it might be because of a firewall, but I have turned off all my
anti virus and tried from different internet connnections.

Help ?

Re: Windows update in vista won't work, how do I fix it?
Check that error number again, please. Assuming it's really 0x80070490, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

May we assume you're running Vista SP1? What anti-virus application
or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What
(if any)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

fireweed wrote:
> My windows update hasn't worked since July and I get and error message
> code
> 800704090 and I can't get any updates.
>
> I thought it might be because of a firewall, but I have turned off all my
> anti virus and tried from different internet connnections.

<paste>
> i forgot to include that I am using windows vista ultimate and windows
> update will not work. The error I get is code 800704090
>
> It last installed update for vista KB952709 and then office outlook update
> on July 13, 2008....then it will not connect and i get this erro\r.

fireweed

Re: Windows update in vista won't work, how do I fix it?
Thanks.

I tried to follow the re-installation of Vista guidelines that were
suggested, but when I get to the type of installation the "upgrade options is
unavailable" so I woudl have to select the version that deletes all my
programs and files....that doesn't sound like a good solution to me or one I
would dare do myself.

I have Trendmicro security - subscription to 2011.
No other firewall software.
Vista Ultimate - SP1

The error code comes up when I use the check for updates and it is
definately says error (s) code 800704090.

Thanks for your assistance.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Check that error number again, please. Assuming it's really 0x80070490, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044
>
> May we assume you're running Vista SP1? What anti-virus application
> or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> fireweed wrote:
> > My windows update hasn't worked since July and I get and error message
> > code
> > 800704090 and I can't get any updates.
> >
> > I thought it might be because of a firewall, but I have turned off all my
> > anti virus and tried from different internet connnections.

> <paste>
> > i forgot to include that I am using windows vista ultimate and windows
> > update will not work. The error I get is code 800704090
> >
> > It last installed update for vista KB952709 and then office outlook update
> > on July 13, 2008....then it will not connect and i get this erro\r.

Re: Windows update in vista won't work, how do I fix it?
Did you install Vista SP1 manually or via Windows Update? Was TrendMicro
(Internet) Security running in the background when you installed SP1?

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

fireweed wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> I tried to follow the re-installation of Vista guidelines that were
> suggested, but when I get to the type of installation the "upgrade options
> is unavailable" so I woudl have to select the version that deletes all my
> programs and files....that doesn't sound like a good solution to me or one
> would dare do myself.
>
> I have Trendmicro security - subscription to 2011.
> No other firewall software.
> Vista Ultimate - SP1
>
> The error code comes up when I use the check for updates and it is
> definately says error (s) code 800704090.
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Check that error number again, please. Assuming it's really 0x80070490,
>> see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044
>>
>> May we assume you're running Vista SP1? What anti-virus application
>> or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>> firewall
>> (if any)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> fireweed wrote:
>>> My windows update hasn't worked since July and I get and error message
>>> code
>>> 800704090 and I can't get any updates.
>>>
>>> I thought it might be because of a firewall, but I have turned off all
>>> my
>>> anti virus and tried from different internet connnections.

>> <paste>
>>> i forgot to include that I am using windows vista ultimate and windows
>>> update will not work. The error I get is code 800704090
>>>
>>> It last installed update for vista KB952709 and then office outlook
>>> update
>>> on July 13, 2008....then it will not connect and i get this erro\r.

aalzyaty