Anytime Upgrade from Vista Home Basic to Home Premium

Garibaldi

Anytime Upgrade from Vista Home Basic to Home Premium
When attempting to use Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU), I get the 'Upgrade is
disabled' error message, please could somebody tell me why ?. i thought that
i'd purchased an unused WAU DVD but does this message prove otherwise ? My C:
drive is NTFS, so that is not the problem. Please help, thanks

Re: Anytime Upgrade from Vista Home Basic to Home Premium
[Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup newsgroup
via crosspost.]

Garibaldi wrote:
> When attempting to use Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU), I get the 'Upgrade
> is
> disabled' error message, please could somebody tell me why ?. i thought
> that
> i'd purchased an unused WAU DVD but does this message prove otherwise ? My
> C: drive is NTFS, so that is not the problem. Please help, thanks

Mark H

Re: Anytime Upgrade from Vista Home Basic to Home Premium
Put the DVD in the DVD drive.
With Vista Home Basic running, double-click the license file.

Vista upgrade should occur without going through the Upgrade/Clean Install
screen.

You cannot install directly from the DVD.
(Note: This is how the original WAU worked. Not sure if it still applies to
the newer version that gets a disc sent to you, but sounds like the same
problem.)

> [Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup newsgroup
> via crosspost.]
>
> Garibaldi wrote:
>> When attempting to use Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU), I get the 'Upgrade
>> is
>> disabled' error message, please could somebody tell me why ?. i thought
>> that
>> i'd purchased an unused WAU DVD but does this message prove otherwise ?
>> My
>> C: drive is NTFS, so that is not the problem. Please help, thanks

Garibaldi

Re: Anytime Upgrade from Vista Home Basic to Home Premium
Mark

Many thanks, please elaborate which file I should double-click.

Gary

"Mark H" wrote:

> Put the DVD in the DVD drive.
> With Vista Home Basic running, double-click the license file.
>
> Vista upgrade should occur without going through the Upgrade/Clean Install
> screen.
>
> You cannot install directly from the DVD.
> (Note: This is how the original WAU worked. Not sure if it still applies to
> the newer version that gets a disc sent to you, but sounds like the same
> problem.)

> > [Forwarded to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup newsgroup
> > via crosspost.]
> >
> > Garibaldi wrote:
> >> When attempting to use Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU), I get the 'Upgrade
> >> is
> >> disabled' error message, please could somebody tell me why ?. i thought
> >> that
> >> i'd purchased an unused WAU DVD but does this message prove otherwise ?
> >> My
> >> C: drive is NTFS, so that is not the problem. Please help, thanks

Mark H

Re: Anytime Upgrade from Vista Home Basic to Home Premium
In either method, the installation DVD is just a regular installation DVD.
Some original installation DVDs did not have the WAU function on them, so MS
now sends out a disk with your purchase.

Older method:
I'm talking about the older WAU method. I do not know if MS still provides
this file, but they still support the method I orignially purchased.

When you purchased the Windows Anytime Upgrade, you should have been given a
link to a file to download from your Digital Locker.
https://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=...03 3&id=60263

A copy of your "License file" is maintained here for future use. (It takes
four days after your purchase to show up and may be labeled something
mysterious like: aggiornamento windows vista home premium.)

The file has the extension: .slupkg-ms
Look for it on your computer. If not there it can either be run directly
from the Digital Locker or saved and then run.

For this file to work, your current installation must already be activated.

Newer method:
http://www.microsoft.com/canada/wind...grade/faq.mspx
See the second FAQ question.
This method seems to indicate MS provides a product key instead of a license
file.
But, it still appears that you must start the installation from within a
running session of Windows. You cannot boot from this DVD and perform the
upgrade.
(Even though a boot is possible.)

Current installation of Vista must already be activated for this to work.
(It's based on the Product Key.)

In either case, you must be upgrading to the same bit level: 32-bit or
64-bit. If your current OS is 32-bit and the install disk is 64-bit, you
would also see the problem you are stating. If the install disk is 64-bit,
it will be stated on the disk.

?