cannot go to windows update site

earls04t

cannot go to windows update site
hey can anyone please help ... my automatic updates seeemed to stop
working... whenever i click windows update... the link goes to www.msn.com or
if i keep repeating it .. the page goes blank... i tried to install windows
sp3 before but rolled back my system bec. it slowed my pc... i also tried to
uninstall my ie7 but still i cant update my windows xp pro... thanks

--
egs
Shenan Stanley

Re: cannot go to windows update site
earls04t wrote:
> hey can anyone please help ... my automatic updates seeemed to stop
> working... whenever i click windows update... the link goes to
> www.msn.com or if i keep repeating it .. the page goes blank... i
> tried to install windows sp3 before but rolled back my system bec.
> it slowed my pc... i also tried to uninstall my ie7 but still i
> cant update my windows xp pro...

Unlikely SP3 is what caused your system to slow down - more likely it
exassperated a problem you already have.

- Backup your entire system.
- Update your hardware drivers from the individual hardware manufacturer's
web sites.
- Do a full scan with your updated AntiVirus software.
- Do a full scan with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware.
- Perform a Disk Cleanup (built in).
- Do a full CHKDSK.
- Do a full disk defragmentation.
- Download the "IT Version" of Windows XP SP3.
- Disconnect (physically) from the Internet.
- Temporarily disable your AntiVirus software.
- Reboot and log on as an Administrative level user.
- Double-click to run/install Windows XP SP3.
- Reboot - log on - wait about 10 minutes.
- Repeat that last step two more times.
- Enable the AntiVirus.
- Verify your Windows Firewall (or third-party firewall) is enabled.
- Physically connect the Internet.
- Check the http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ web page and check for any
further *critical* updates. I suggest *not* getting any Optional Hardware
Updates.

You also may need this advice before you can do any of the above (or in
addition to)...

First thing to try:
As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

Second thing to try:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

Third thing to try:
Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Reboot.
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

Usually - method one from the first suggestion fixes the issue.
Sometimes they have to proceed to method two from the first suggestion.

Less seldom - but it does happen - only the tool from the second suggestion
will work - although the first suggestion is contained within the second in
many ways (as well as some of the third.)

And the third suggestion is there because before there was a suggestion (1)
and a suggestion (2) - the third was the best bet and worked in most cases.

Let us know!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

earls04t

Re: cannot go to windows update site
thanks.. i am now able to go to the windows update site and update my pc.
this one did it.
Do a full scan with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware.
it detected a trojan. that redirects my browser from downloading the updates.
good day and more power!
god bless

--
egs

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.
>
> - Download/Install Windows Update v3.
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
> (You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
> right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)
>
> - Reboot.
> - Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.
>

> Usually - method one from the first suggestion fixes the issue.
> Sometimes they have to proceed to method two from the first suggestion.
>
> Less seldom - but it does happen - only the tool from the second suggestion
> will work - although the first suggestion is contained within the second in
> many ways (as well as some of the third.)
>
> And the third suggestion is there because before there was a suggestion (1)
> and a suggestion (2) - the third was the best bet and worked in most cases.

ChrisBeck

Re: cannot go to windows update site
i tried following all your suggestions but nothing, i might something
different living inside my PC, it started when IE v7 started redirecting my
searches to other sites findstuff.com, iseek.com, etc, etc, i got tired and
decided to restore my PC from scratch, it has always worked till now.
After restoring it completely, first thing i noticed, was that it didn't let
my windows updates been installed, if i try to reach microsoft.updates.com it
will redirect me to msn.com, i also tried installing windows defender, i
could install it, but doesn't let the latest updates to be installed, sane
thing with Windows Life OneCare, SuperAntiSpyware, and others, also even when
i have tried installing updates manually, it won't let m einstall any files
from microsoft.com

please, help!!!

PA Bear [MS-MVP]

Re: cannot go to windows update site