Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vist

JoeT

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vist
My computer keeps asking me to install the above mentioned update but i keep
getting the following error:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista (KB956390)

Installation date: ‎10/‎29/‎2008 12:43 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070020

Update type: Important

Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update
from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista
License Terms.

More information:

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

my antivirus is trend micro antivirus and the my antispyware is Webroot
Spysweeper.

what should i do?
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in WindowsVist
JoeT wrote:

> My computer keeps asking me to install the above mentioned update but i keep
> getting the following error:

Try downloading the update directly and see if it will install:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4756e04b-6e1c-4d78-a3c0-17f6b4b97975&DisplayLang=en>

Let us know what happens.

Harry.

> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista (KB956390)
>
> Installation date: ‎10/‎29/‎2008 12:43 PM
>
> Installation status: Failed
>
> Error details: Code 80070020
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
> compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
> control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update
> from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
> computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista
> License Terms.
>
> More information:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128060
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com
>
> my antivirus is trend micro antivirus and the my antispyware is Webroot
> Spysweeper.
>
> what should i do?

Re: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vist
Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
to install the update(s). If you disable a third-party firewall, do NOT
connect to the internet without having the Windows Firewall enabled!
======================

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB956390).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue"
(which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

JoeT wrote:
> My computer keeps asking me to install the above mentioned update but i
> keep
> getting the following error:
>
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
> (KB956390)
>
> Installation date: ‎10/‎29/‎2008 12:43 PM
>
> Installation status: Failed
>
> Error details: Code 80070020
>
> Update type: Important
>
> Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
> compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
> control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this
> update
> from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
> computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows
> Vista License Terms.
>
> More information:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128060
>
> Help and Support:
> http://support.microsoft.com
>
> my antivirus is trend micro antivirus and the my antispyware is Webroot
> Spysweeper.
>
> what should i do?

JoeT

Re: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows
PA Bear and Harry Johnston

i tried both methods and they did not work. i still get the same error
message. i even completely closed both the antivirus and antispyware off.
Please help!

joeT

JoeT wrote:

> PA Bear and Harry Johnston
>
> i tried both methods and they did not work. i still get the same error
> message. i even completely closed both the antivirus and antispyware off.
> Please help!

Did you open a support case with Microsoft as described in PA Bear's post?

Harry.

> joeT
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Tip: Temporarily disable real-time protection by your anti-virus and/or
>> anti-spyware applications (e.g., CounterSpy, Spysweeper, Spybot, AVG
>> Anti-Spyware) and/or any third-party firewall (e.g., ZA) before attempting
>> to install the update(s). If you disable a third-party firewall, do NOT
>> connect to the internet without having the Windows Firewall enabled!
>> ======================
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:
>>
>> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
>> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
>> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
>> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB956390).
>>
>> LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
>> call the above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue"
>> (which is 47830).
>>
>> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
>> for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
>> site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available through
>> your usual support contacts.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>>
>> JoeT wrote:
>>> My computer keeps asking me to install the above mentioned update but i
>>> keep
>>> getting the following error:
>>>
>>> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>>> (KB956390)
>>>
>>> Installation date: ‎10/‎29/‎2008 12:43 PM
>>>
>>> Installation status: Failed
>>>
>>> Error details: Code 80070020
>>>
>>> Update type: Important
>>>
>>> Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to
>>> compromise a system that is running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain
>>> control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this
>>> update
>>> from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your
>>> computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows
>>> Vista License Terms.
>>>
>>> More information:
>>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128060
>>>
>>> Help and Support:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com
>>>
>>> my antivirus is trend micro antivirus and the my antispyware is Webroot
>>> Spysweeper.
>>>
>>> what should i do?

Re: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 in Windows
Repost: