Windows update general questions - get me started

Mouse

Windows update general questions - get me started
I am new to Vista and trying to get my new laptop set up. I ran all the
windows updates successfully until I installed MS Office Enterprise version.
After that Windows Update found several Office updates to install. The
update failed and the following error message occurs several times in the log
file:
WARNING: GetUserTokenFromSessionId failed with error 800703f0 for session 0

I also have these errors at various points in the log
WARNING: Failed to find updates with error code 8024001F
WARNING: AU found no suitable session to launch client in
WARNING: GetPostRebootResults failed, error = 0x80070005

question 1: how do I tell which updates are failing with these message?
question 2: Where can I look up what the different error codes mean?
question 3: Do I need to turn off Norton Antivirus everytime I want to run
Windows update? If so, then I can't set Windows Update to do automatic
updates.

--
Mouse
TaurArian

Re: Windows update general questions - get me started
Q1 & Q2 - UPDATES FAIL TO INSTALL
1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs,
and then clicking Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click View update history.

3. Find an update for Windows that has failed to install, and then
double-click the update to view more information.

Updates that have failed to install will display Failed under Status, next
to the update name.

4. In the Windows Update dialog box, next to Error details, review the error
code for the failed update.

5. Either follow the links in the Windows Update dialog box under More
Information or Help and Support to try to fix the problem, and then try
installing updates again by using Windows Update in Control Panel or post
back with the error code so perhaps someone may be able to assist further.

Q3 - Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Mouse" <Mouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsF293AC6-80A1-4C42-9EEB-CBAD63ACEF24@microsoft.com...
>I am new to Vista and trying to get my new laptop set up. I ran all the
> windows updates successfully until I installed MS Office Enterprise
> version.
> After that Windows Update found several Office updates to install. The
> update failed and the following error message occurs several times in the
> log
> file:
> WARNING: GetUserTokenFromSessionId failed with error 800703f0 for session
> 0
>
> I also have these errors at various points in the log
> WARNING: Failed to find updates with error code 8024001F
> WARNING: AU found no suitable session to launch client in
> WARNING: GetPostRebootResults failed, error = 0x80070005
>
> question 1: how do I tell which updates are failing with these message?
> question 2: Where can I look up what the different error codes mean?
> question 3: Do I need to turn off Norton Antivirus everytime I want to
> run
> Windows update? If so, then I can't set Windows Update to do automatic
> updates.
>
> --
> Mouse

Re: Windows update general questions - get me started
How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

How to troubleshoot failures updating your Office installation...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304498

3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

4. Office Update newsgroup: microsoft.public.officeupdate

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Mouse wrote:
> I am new to Vista and trying to get my new laptop set up. I ran all the
> windows updates successfully until I installed MS Office Enterprise
> version.
> After that Windows Update found several Office updates to install. The
> update failed and the following error message occurs several times in the
> log file:
> WARNING: GetUserTokenFromSessionId failed with error 800703f0 for session
> 0
>
> I also have these errors at various points in the log
> WARNING: Failed to find updates with error code 8024001F
> WARNING: AU found no suitable session to launch client in
> WARNING: GetPostRebootResults failed, error = 0x80070005
>
> question 1: how do I tell which updates are failing with these message?
> question 2: Where can I look up what the different error codes mean?
> question 3: Do I need to turn off Norton Antivirus everytime I want to
> run
> Windows update? If so, then I can't set Windows Update to do automatic
> updates.

Master Blaster

Re: Windows update general questions - get me started
You can try this, it's from "Microsoft Update Help"

--------- code-start-below

@echo off
cls

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

pause

--------- code-end-above

Copy the above code into Notepad. Save with "File type" = All, filename
FixUpdates.cmd

Now you can run FixUpdates.cmd whenever Win Update fails. This fixed my
problem awhile back.

--
Master Blaster