WindowsUpdate_80070490

Schmidt

WindowsUpdate_80070490
I have had this problem for several months now. I don't know for exactly how
long, I'm going to guess no longer than four. I have only been able to
install one Windows Update since this started.
Everything online is unhelpful. Other people seem to have this problem too
and from what I've found online, nobody knows what to do.

The error is that Windows cannot search for new updates.

Errors found:
Code 80070490

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: WindowsUpdate_80070490
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.

1. See...

You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044

2. There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection, which
is usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
protected by a rootkit.

Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Schmidt wrote:
> I have had this problem for several months now. I don't know for exactly
> how
> long, I'm going to guess no longer than four. I have only been able to
> install one Windows Update since this started.
> Everything online is unhelpful. Other people seem to have this problem too
> and from what I've found online, nobody knows what to do.
>
> The error is that Windows cannot search for new updates.
>
> Errors found:
> Code 80070490

TaurArian

RE: WindowsUpdate_80070490
Have a look at:
http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archiv...rver-2008.aspx

Assuming the OS is Vista.

"Schmidt" wrote:

> I have had this problem for several months now. I don't know for exactly how
> long, I'm going to guess no longer than four. I have only been able to
> install one Windows Update since this started.
> Everything online is unhelpful. Other people seem to have this problem too
> and from what I've found online, nobody knows what to do.
>
> The error is that Windows cannot search for new updates.
>
> Errors found:
> Code 80070490

Schmidt

Re: WindowsUpdate_80070490
I have 32bit Vista SP1.

Re: WindowsUpdate_80070490
THX. See previous reply.

Schmidt wrote:
> I have 32bit Vista SP1.

<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>
> 1. See...
>
> You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
> Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044
>
> 2. There's a very strong possibility that you have a Vundo infection,
> which
> is usually accompanied by ZLOB and/or SDBot infections, all of which are
> protected by a rootkit.
>
> Run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
> (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything
> on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
> review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>
> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this

> Support for Windows Update:
>
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> in
> security updates.
>
> Schmidt wrote:
>> I have had this problem for several months now. I don't know for exactly
>> how
>> long, I'm going to guess no longer than four. I have only been able to
>> install one Windows Update since this started.
>> Everything online is unhelpful. Other people seem to have this problem
>> too
>> and from what I've found online, nobody knows what to do.
>>
>> The error is that Windows cannot search for new updates.
>>
>> Errors found:
>> Code 80070490
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

/noilly

RE: WindowsUpdate_80070490
Type event to run event viewer in the start search area of start bar.
Look at custom views > admin events.
The error I received is:
Windows Servicing identified that package KB953733(Security Update) is not
applicable for this system

hope that helps.
dima

RE: WindowsUpdate_80070490

"Schmidt" wrote:

> I have had this problem for several months now. I don't know for exactly how
> long, I'm going to guess no longer than four. I have only been able to
> install one Windows Update since this started.
> Everything online is unhelpful. Other people seem to have this problem too
> and from what I've found online, nobody knows what to do.
>
> The error is that Windows cannot search for new updates.
>
> Errors found:
> Code 80070490

Shenan Stanley

Re: WindowsUpdate_80070490
Schmidt wrote:
> I have had this problem for several months now. I don't know for
> exactly how long, I'm going to guess no longer than four. I have
> only been able to install one Windows Update since this started.
> Everything online is unhelpful. Other people seem to have this
> problem too and from what I've found online, nobody knows what to
> do.
>
> The error is that Windows cannot search for new updates.
>
> Errors found:
> Code 80070490
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

dima wrote:

dima,

Do you have a question you would care to ask or help for the OP?

Or are you just trying to drop in a "me too" but without actually saying
anything?

Perhaps you can participate better (than even the original poster (OP)) if
you are trying the "me too" approach by adding some details, like what
Operating System and Service Pack you are running and when the problem
started to the best of your knowledge (it was working, one would assume, and
then it stopped working - what changed between those two points?)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: WindowsUpdate_80070490
Shenan,

I think some of the third-party forum interfaces post a blank reply when a user
votes on a thread, or are otherwise confusing enough to result in accidental
empty replies, or are just broken and leave out the user's message for no
particular reason. :-)

Harry.

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Schmidt wrote:
>> I have had this problem for several months now. I don't know for
>> exactly how long, I'm going to guess no longer than four. I have
>> only been able to install one Windows Update since this started.
>> Everything online is unhelpful. Other people seem to have this
>> problem too and from what I've found online, nobody knows what to
>> do.
>>
>> The error is that Windows cannot search for new updates.
>>
>> Errors found:
>> Code 80070490
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

> dima wrote:
>
> dima,
>
> Do you have a question you would care to ask or help for the OP?
>
> Or are you just trying to drop in a "me too" but without actually saying
> anything?
>
> Perhaps you can participate better (than even the original poster (OP)) if
> you are trying the "me too" approach by adding some details, like what
> Operating System and Service Pack you are running and when the problem
> started to the best of your knowledge (it was working, one would assume, and
> then it stopped working - what changed between those two points?)

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: WindowsUpdate_80070490

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message news:eWJbttHGKHA.6056@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Shenan,
>

> I think some of the third-party forum interfaces post a blank reply when a user
> votes on a thread, or are otherwise confusing enough to result in accidental
> empty replies, or are just broken and leave out the user's message for no
> particular reason. :-)

This particular poster is using one of the MS Communities portals.
All of the ones that I have seen have a Notify... button which does not
require a post.

There are a few advantages to this echo posting that I can imagine.
First it would allow a poster to do a search for threads he thought
he might be interested in (e.g. as indicated by posting these echo posts
with his handle) and whatever other keywords he decided to use as a
search filter. Secondly, he wouldn't have to be signed in do that.
In contrast, the list of notifications in the Profile doesn't even distinguish
by newsgroup let alone provide any equivalent search capability
and it is only accessible when you are signed in with your Live ID.

It's almost surprising that we don't see more of this behaviour.
Even if they modified the UI to prevent these moronic echoes
they would still have to allow ordinary Me too! posts which would
allow users to achieve the same objective--unless we shamed them
sufficiently to prevent such inconsiderate misuse of the service. <eg>

Robert
---