silverlight update (KB957938)

VistaNoob1234

silverlight update (KB957938)
Help! I am a Vista 64-bit user and I can't finish installing updates on my
PC. This is the error message I get when trying to install "Update for
Microsoft Silverlight (KB957938)" as requested by Microsoft update.

The feature you are trying to use is on a
network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a
folder containing the installation package
'silverlight.msi' in the box below

When I locate the file in question and click 'OK', the exact same error
shows up. When I go to Microsoft.com and try installing Silverlight again, it
gives me the same error yet again. When I try to uninstall the Silverlight
software, it gives me a similar problem and won't let me remove it from my PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks……

Engel

RE: silverlight update (KB957938)
Hello VistaNoob,

Have you tried to uninstall it in Safe mode ? Safe Mode with Command Prompt ?
- -- ---

Ǝиçεl

"VistaNoob1234" wrote:

> Help! I am a Vista 64-bit user and I can't finish installing updates on my
> PC. This is the error message I get when trying to install "Update for
> Microsoft Silverlight (KB957938)" as requested by Microsoft update.
>
> The feature you are trying to use is on a
> network resource that is unavailable.
>

> Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a
> folder containing the installation package
> 'silverlight.msi' in the box below
>
> When I locate the file in question and click 'OK', the exact same error
> shows up. When I go to Microsoft.com and try installing Silverlight again, it
> gives me the same error yet again. When I try to uninstall the Silverlight
> software, it gives me a similar problem and won't let me remove it from my PC.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks……

TaurArian

RE: silverlight update (KB957938)
Somewhere along the line, it appears the installation file may have been
removed that is why it can't find the path.

Have you tried installing V2 here : http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/

"VistaNoob1234" wrote:

> Help! I am a Vista 64-bit user and I can't finish installing updates on my
> PC. This is the error message I get when trying to install "Update for
> Microsoft Silverlight (KB957938)" as requested by Microsoft update.
>
> The feature you are trying to use is on a
> network resource that is unavailable.
>

> Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a
> folder containing the installation package
> 'silverlight.msi' in the box below
>
> When I locate the file in question and click 'OK', the exact same error
> shows up. When I go to Microsoft.com and try installing Silverlight again, it
> gives me the same error yet again. When I try to uninstall the Silverlight
> software, it gives me a similar problem and won't let me remove it from my PC.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks……

VistaNoob1234

RE: silverlight update (KB957938)
Yes. It gave me the same error in safe mode that it did under normal
operating. The message from that un-installer is:

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the
Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel
for assistance.

Arrrgh. Not exactly what I was expecting but, it seems like an admissions
issue or that the file itself is missing but, trying to update at the
Silverlight website to the newer version isn't working either. I can't seem
to find the original software on their website either, just the upgrade.

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello VistaNoob,
>
> Have you tried to uninstall it in Safe mode ? Safe Mode with Command Prompt ?
> - -- ---
>
> Ǝиçεl
>

> "VistaNoob1234" wrote:
>
> > Help! I am a Vista 64-bit user and I can't finish installing updates on my
> > PC. This is the error message I get when trying to install "Update for
> > Microsoft Silverlight (KB957938)" as requested by Microsoft update.
> >
> > The feature you are trying to use is on a
> > network resource that is unavailable.
> >

> > Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a
> > folder containing the installation package
> > 'silverlight.msi' in the box below
> >
> > When I locate the file in question and click 'OK', the exact same error
> > shows up. When I go to Microsoft.com and try installing Silverlight again, it
> > gives me the same error yet again. When I try to uninstall the Silverlight
> > software, it gives me a similar problem and won't let me remove it from my PC.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks……

VistaNoob1234

RE: silverlight update (KB957938)
Yes. It brought me to a another window that says the following:

Please upgrade to the latest version.installed version Silverlight 1 GDR 4
(1.0.30716.0)latest version Silverlight 2 RTW (2.0.31005.0)

The last text 'Silverlight 2 RTW (2.0.31005.0)' is a link to get started
updating. So, I update, this is what i get next:

The feature you are trying to use is on a
network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a
folder containing the installation package
'silverlight.msi' in the box below

The exact same issue..... Now it would seem i am locked into this Vista
trap... :{

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Somewhere along the line, it appears the installation file may have been
> removed that is why it can't find the path.
>
> Have you tried installing V2 here : http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/
>

> --
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
>

> "VistaNoob1234" wrote:
>
> > Help! I am a Vista 64-bit user and I can't finish installing updates on my
> > PC. This is the error message I get when trying to install "Update for
> > Microsoft Silverlight (KB957938)" as requested by Microsoft update.
> >
> > The feature you are trying to use is on a
> > network resource that is unavailable.
> >

> > Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a
> > folder containing the installation package
> > 'silverlight.msi' in the box below
> >
> > When I locate the file in question and click 'OK', the exact same error
> > shows up. When I go to Microsoft.com and try installing Silverlight again, it
> > gives me the same error yet again. When I try to uninstall the Silverlight
> > software, it gives me a similar problem and won't let me remove it from my PC.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks……

VistaNoob1234

RE: silverlight update (KB957938)
I just tried Safe Mode with command prompt but, i have no idea how to execute
files from the command line. I can write some PICK and I dabble with VBA but,
i still have yet to dig into the actual PC I use. Is there a command line you
can suggest to remove the file itself? Other blogs i have seen have invited
hte idea UAC is to blame but, then my LiveOneCare doesn't work (not that it
works right anyway).

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello VistaNoob,
>
> Have you tried to uninstall it in Safe mode ? Safe Mode with Command Prompt ?
> - -- ---
>
> Ǝиçεl
>

> "VistaNoob1234" wrote:
>
> > Help! I am a Vista 64-bit user and I can't finish installing updates on my
> > PC. This is the error message I get when trying to install "Update for
> > Microsoft Silverlight (KB957938)" as requested by Microsoft update.
> >
> > The feature you are trying to use is on a
> > network resource that is unavailable.
> >

> > Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a
> > folder containing the installation package
> > 'silverlight.msi' in the box below
> >
> > When I locate the file in question and click 'OK', the exact same error
> > shows up. When I go to Microsoft.com and try installing Silverlight again, it
> > gives me the same error yet again. When I try to uninstall the Silverlight
> > software, it gives me a similar problem and won't let me remove it from my PC.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks……

TaurArian

RE: silverlight update (KB957938)
Have you seen:
http://blogs.msdn.com/rpomeroy/archi...tallation.aspx

"VistaNoob1234" wrote:

> Yes. It brought me to a another window that says the following:
>
> Please upgrade to the latest version.installed version Silverlight 1 GDR 4
> (1.0.30716.0)latest version Silverlight 2 RTW (2.0.31005.0)
>
> The last text 'Silverlight 2 RTW (2.0.31005.0)' is a link to get started
> updating. So, I update, this is what i get next:
>
> The feature you are trying to use is on a
> network resource that is unavailable.
>

> Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a
> folder containing the installation package
> 'silverlight.msi' in the box below
>
> The exact same issue..... Now it would seem i am locked into this Vista
> trap... :{
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > Somewhere along the line, it appears the installation file may have been
> > removed that is why it can't find the path.
> >
> > Have you tried installing V2 here : http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/
> >

> > --
> > Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> > guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
> >

> > "VistaNoob1234" wrote:
> >
> > > Help! I am a Vista 64-bit user and I can't finish installing updates on my
> > > PC. This is the error message I get when trying to install "Update for
> > > Microsoft Silverlight (KB957938)" as requested by Microsoft update.
> > >
> > > The feature you are trying to use is on a
> > > network resource that is unavailable.
> > >

> > > Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a
> > > folder containing the installation package
> > > 'silverlight.msi' in the box below
> > >
> > > When I locate the file in question and click 'OK', the exact same error
> > > shows up. When I go to Microsoft.com and try installing Silverlight again, it
> > > gives me the same error yet again. When I try to uninstall the Silverlight
> > > software, it gives me a similar problem and won't let me remove it from my PC.
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > > Thanks……

vistanoob1234

RE: silverlight update (KB957938)
This worked.... The first time it didn't but, the second (after I turned off
the UAC) time, it did. Once i was able to install and run the "Install
Cleanup Utility" the new software loaded fine. After i updated my software to
the newer version, the update took just fine.

Thanks for the ehlp.....

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Have you seen:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/rpomeroy/archi...tallation.aspx
>
> --
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.
>

> "VistaNoob1234" wrote:
>
> > Yes. It brought me to a another window that says the following:
> >
> > Please upgrade to the latest version.installed version Silverlight 1 GDR 4
> > (1.0.30716.0)latest version Silverlight 2 RTW (2.0.31005.0)
> >
> > The last text 'Silverlight 2 RTW (2.0.31005.0)' is a link to get started
> > updating. So, I update, this is what i get next:
> >
> > The feature you are trying to use is on a
> > network resource that is unavailable.
> >

> > Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a
> > folder containing the installation package
> > 'silverlight.msi' in the box below
> >
> > The exact same issue..... Now it would seem i am locked into this Vista
> > trap... :{
> >
> > "TaurArian" wrote:
> >
> > > Somewhere along the line, it appears the installation file may have been
> > > removed that is why it can't find the path.
> > >
> > > Have you tried installing V2 here : http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/
> > >

> > > --
> > > Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> > > guarantees and doesn''t give any rights.

TaurArian

Re: silverlight update (KB957938)
Thanks for the feedback, it may help someone else.

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org