Another KB958644 problem

John

Another KB958644 problem
I just had an unusual situation with KB958644. The system in question is
running Windows XP Pro SP3 and has a MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer
2.0 Mouse.

The update appeared to install normally until I re-booted to finish the
update process. At one point in the re-boot process, the mouse cursor
was jumping all over the screen for a few seconds. Not a problem in
itself, but when I got to the point where you click on your user ID to
complete the startup process there was a real mouse problem. I could
position the cursor normally, but the normal left-click on the user ID
icon had no effect. Eventually, I discovered that right-clicking did
something. By alternately right-clicking and left-clicking, I finally
got the system to finish the startup process.

After this, the mouse appeared to be functioning normally. I re-booted
again, and this time everything worked normally. The problem did not
repeat. The indicators for wireless mouse signal strength and battery
voltage are both fine. What might have caused this malfunction?

John
--
Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
email address to prevent spam. Thank you.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Another KB958644 problem

"John" <notme@nospam.org> wrote in message news:eSUaI7QOJHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>I just had an unusual situation with KB958644. The system in question is
> running Windows XP Pro SP3 and has a MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer
> 2.0 Mouse.
>
> The update appeared to install normally until I re-booted to finish the
> update process. At one point in the re-boot process, the mouse cursor
> was jumping all over the screen for a few seconds. Not a problem in
> itself, but when I got to the point where you click on your user ID to
> complete the startup process there was a real mouse problem. I could
> position the cursor normally, but the normal left-click on the user ID
> icon had no effect. Eventually, I discovered that right-clicking did
> something. By alternately right-clicking and left-clicking, I finally
> got the system to finish the startup process.
>
> After this, the mouse appeared to be functioning normally. I re-booted
> again, and this time everything worked normally. The problem did not
> repeat. The indicators for wireless mouse signal strength and battery
> voltage are both fine.

> What might have caused this malfunction?

Do you use the mouse with the left-hand? With buttons defined
for left-hand use? Then, sometimes during a boot the mouse
can default to right-hand use until you get logged in. Hence, each
one of your clicks could be interpreted as alternate (aka right clicks)
If there is no right-click menu associated with what you click on
you would then see exactly what you saw, no action until you click
with the primary mouse button.

---

John

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "John" <notme@nospam.org> wrote in message news:eSUaI7QOJHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> I just had an unusual situation with KB958644. The system in question is
>> running Windows XP Pro SP3 and has a MS Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer
>> 2.0 Mouse.
>>
>> The update appeared to install normally until I re-booted to finish the
>> update process. At one point in the re-boot process, the mouse cursor
>> was jumping all over the screen for a few seconds. Not a problem in
>> itself, but when I got to the point where you click on your user ID to
>> complete the startup process there was a real mouse problem. I could
>> position the cursor normally, but the normal left-click on the user ID
>> icon had no effect. Eventually, I discovered that right-clicking did
>> something. By alternately right-clicking and left-clicking, I finally
>> got the system to finish the startup process.
>>
>> After this, the mouse appeared to be functioning normally. I re-booted
>> again, and this time everything worked normally. The problem did not
>> repeat. The indicators for wireless mouse signal strength and battery
>> voltage are both fine.

>> What might have caused this malfunction?

> Do you use the mouse with the left-hand? With buttons defined
> for left-hand use? Then, sometimes during a boot the mouse
> can default to right-hand use until you get logged in. Hence, each
> one of your clicks could be interpreted as alternate (aka right clicks)
> If there is no right-click menu associated with what you click on
> you would then see exactly what you saw, no action until you click
> with the primary mouse button.

I am right-handed, and the mouse button configuration is the normal default.

John