Lost RDP Connections after KB958644 Update

Bernie

Lost RDP Connections after KB958644 Update
After I loaded the critical update KB958644, I lost RDP connection ability to
my SBS 2003 server. Both remote desktop and RWW fail. I've rerun ICW,
verified the check box in computer|property|remote, and checked the ISA
setup. I did find the port number had been changed from the standard 3389 to
4465. I changed it back in the registry but it's still broken.

Is there anyway to remove KB958644? I couldn't find it in the add/remove
programs.

Any suggestions would be appresiated.

Thanks,
Bernie
DaveA

RE: Lost RDP Connections after KB958644 Update
Bernie

I would check IPSec, we have been updating all our client servers, and had a
similar issue with one, and had to rebuild IPSec

Refer to KB Article 912023

Regards

Dave

"Bernie" wrote:

> After I loaded the critical update KB958644, I lost RDP connection ability to
> my SBS 2003 server. Both remote desktop and RWW fail. I've rerun ICW,
> verified the check box in computer|property|remote, and checked the ISA
> setup. I did find the port number had been changed from the standard 3389 to
> 4465. I changed it back in the registry but it's still broken.
>
> Is there anyway to remove KB958644? I couldn't find it in the add/remove
> programs.
>
> Any suggestions would be appresiated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bernie

Brian

RE: Lost RDP Connections after KB958644 Update
I had a nearly identical issue with my 2003 SE box. It's off site so I lost
all ability to remotely administer it since RDP seemed to be knocked out
after the update. I had our hosting provider power cycle the machine and sure
enough it came back up. A network process failed to initialize after the
initial reboot from the patch installation.

I know it sounds simple, but if you haven't already tried rebooting that
machine, give it a shot. If that still doesn't work, I would check any
firewall/antivirus client and temporarily disable them as i've heard some
products can get buggy with this patch.

~Brian

"Bernie" wrote:

> After I loaded the critical update KB958644, I lost RDP connection ability to
> my SBS 2003 server. Both remote desktop and RWW fail. I've rerun ICW,
> verified the check box in computer|property|remote, and checked the ISA
> setup. I did find the port number had been changed from the standard 3389 to
> 4465. I changed it back in the registry but it's still broken.
>
> Is there anyway to remove KB958644? I couldn't find it in the add/remove
> programs.
>
> Any suggestions would be appresiated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bernie

Bernie Hunt

Re: Lost RDP Connections after KB958644 Update
Well this is very odd. It is now working. Last night as I was leaving, I
rebooted the machine one more time. The only change before the reboot was to
fix the port number back to 3389. Maybe it needed a reboot after the port
change? I don't know. But it's working now. I glad to have this over!

Bernie

"DaveA" <DaveA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bernie
>
> I would check IPSec, we have been updating all our client servers, and had
> similar issue with one, and had to rebuild IPSec
>
> Refer to KB Article 912023
>
> Regards
>
> Dave
>
> "Bernie" wrote:
>
>> After I loaded the critical update KB958644, I lost RDP connection
>> ability to
>> my SBS 2003 server. Both remote desktop and RWW fail. I've rerun ICW,
>> verified the check box in computer|property|remote, and checked the ISA
>> setup. I did find the port number had been changed from the standard 3389
>> 4465. I changed it back in the registry but it's still broken.
>>
>> Is there anyway to remove KB958644? I couldn't find it in the add/remove
>> programs.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be appresiated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bernie

Susan Bradley

Bernie wrote:
> After I loaded the critical update KB958644, I lost RDP connection ability to
> my SBS 2003 server. Both remote desktop and RWW fail. I've rerun ICW,
> verified the check box in computer|property|remote, and checked the ISA
> setup. I did find the port number had been changed from the standard 3389 to
> 4465. I changed it back in the registry but it's still broken.
>
> Is there anyway to remove KB958644? I couldn't find it in the add/remove
> programs.
>
> Any suggestions would be appresiated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bernie

956189 Some services may not start or may not work correctly on
a computer that is running Windows SBS after you install the DNS Server
security update 953230 (MS08-037)
http://support.microsoft.com//kb/956189

PLEASE make sure you have the port exclusions in place before patching!
Dorian Salmon

RE: Lost RDP Connections after KB958644 Update
I have a similar symptom to Bernie - all network traffic is OK EXCEPT for
anything using http. No browser requests go through, and my AVG automatic
updates are failing. Oddly enough, though, the Windows Update automatic check
downloads updates, but clicking "Windows update" on the program menu fails
because it launches in a browser.

Never noticed this problem until a couple of days ago, as I typically use
the server as a server and only use a browser on my desktop clients.

I'll try the IPSEC fix documented in 912023 this evening .....