error code 0x8009310b

SteveDel

error code 0x8009310b
I recently had to re-install my Windows Xp Cd. Since then some of the windows
updates are unable to install. Most notably Service PAck 3. I'm aware this
has something to do with digitally unsigned files. There was a post by
Patricia back on 6/24/06 addressing this issue but the instructions are
vague, especially where she says "here's where it gets tricky." Anyone
willing to walk me thru it?---Steve
TaurArian

Re: error code 0x8009310b
Found this in my notes -

0x8009310B
CRYPT_E_ASN1_BADTAG ASN.1 bad tag value met 0x8009310B

MS Response -

Please try the following steps:
1. Click on Start, then Run
2. Type SIGVERIF
3. Click OK
4. Click Advanced button, and select "Look for other files that are not
digitally signed"
5. In the "Look in this folder" box, click the Browse button and point to
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CATROOT folder
6. Check Include Subfolders
7. Click OK, then click Start
8. Once the scan is completed, window will appear with a list of unsigned
files
9. Navigate to the folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CATROOT and manually move
these files to a different folder (temp folder you can create on your
desktop)

End MS Response

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"SteveDel" <SteveDel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently had to re-install my Windows Xp Cd. Since then some of the
>windows
> updates are unable to install. Most notably Service PAck 3. I'm aware this
> has something to do with digitally unsigned files. There was a post by
> Patricia back on 6/24/06 addressing this issue but the instructions are
> vague, especially where she says "here's where it gets tricky." Anyone
> willing to walk me thru it?---Steve

SteveDel

Re: error code 0x8009310b
Thanks for your quick reply but it didn't work for me. I was able to do
everything you said and moved the unsigned files to my desktop temp folder.
It seems that I'm able to install most Windows Updates with the exception of
Windows Service pack 3 (KB936929) and Security Update for Windows XP
(KB958644). Now when I attempt to install these 2 updates I get a new error
code 0X80070002. I noticed you provided some steps to repair this same issue
in the past but according to what I read in the forum it wasn't helpful
either. Have any suggestions?

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Found this in my notes -
>
> 0x8009310B
> CRYPT_E_ASN1_BADTAG ASN.1 bad tag value met 0x8009310B
>
> MS Response -
>
> Please try the following steps:
> 1. Click on Start, then Run
> 2. Type SIGVERIF
> 3. Click OK
> 4. Click Advanced button, and select "Look for other files that are not
> digitally signed"
> 5. In the "Look in this folder" box, click the Browse button and point to
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CATROOT folder
> 6. Check Include Subfolders
> 7. Click OK, then click Start
> 8. Once the scan is completed, window will appear with a list of unsigned
> files
> 9. Navigate to the folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CATROOT and manually move
> these files to a different folder (temp folder you can create on your
> desktop)
>
> End MS Response
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
>

> "SteveDel" <SteveDel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently had to re-install my Windows Xp Cd. Since then some of the
> >windows
> > updates are unable to install. Most notably Service PAck 3. I'm aware this
> > has something to do with digitally unsigned files. There was a post by
> > Patricia back on 6/24/06 addressing this issue but the instructions are
> > vague, especially where she says "here's where it gets tricky." Anyone
> > willing to walk me thru it?---Steve

TaurArian

Re: error code 0x8009310b
You receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" error code after you download an
update from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or from Windows Server
Update Services
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336

Error message when you use the Windows Update Web site or Microsoft Update
Web site to install updates: "0x80070002"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956698

When searching for available updates on the Update site, you see the
0x80070002 or 0x80070003 error
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False

Also a very common cause of WU failure can be programs running in the
backgroud, like anti virus software etc.
Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows Server
2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

Finally if all else fails -

How to obtain assistance from MS Support

To contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the International Support Web
site:
https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
To make sure you receive the appropriate support information for your
location, select your region setting from the list and then click the arrow
button