KB958644 has Broken System Restore Points

Frenchy

KB958644 has Broken System Restore Points
OK, I had enough problems installing KB958644 (my posts from last few
days) and eventually got it installed by turning off ESET Security Suite
and WinPatrol. Today I went to do a Manual Restore Point and it failed
with insufficient storage available, Error Code (0x8004231F).

Creating a Restore point is not something I checked after getting the
KB958644 installed a couple of days ago!

There is plenty of storage!

Now I rolled back the system to before the security Patch (I have
Rollback Rx thank God!). Tested and made sure I could manually create a
restore Point and OK. Installed the Patch OK by turning off the AV stuff.

Now cannot create a restore point manually and all restore points are gone.

Anyone else observed this? You will need to go to Backup & Restore and
select to Manually create a Restore point to test yours is OK.

Vista SP1 x64 fully patched on a very high end machine.

Frenchy
Shenan Stanley

Re: KB958644 has Broken System Restore Points
Frenchy wrote:
> OK, I had enough problems installing KB958644 (my posts from last
> few days) and eventually got it installed by turning off ESET
> Security Suite and WinPatrol. Today I went to do a Manual Restore
> Point and it failed with insufficient storage available, Error Code
> (0x8004231F).
> Creating a Restore point is not something I checked after getting
> the KB958644 installed a couple of days ago!
>
> There is plenty of storage!
>
> Now I rolled back the system to before the security Patch (I have
> Rollback Rx thank God!). Tested and made sure I could manually
> create a restore Point and OK. Installed the Patch OK by turning
> off the AV stuff.
> Now cannot create a restore point manually and all restore points
> are gone.
> Anyone else observed this? You will need to go to Backup & Restore
> and select to Manually create a Restore point to test yours is OK.
>
> Vista SP1 x64 fully patched on a very high end machine.

VSS Storage - not storage as in pure disk drive space.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...tore-erro.aspx

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: KB958644 has Broken System Restore Points
cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d2a509a64b4e48
(Sept-08)

I see that you've encountered this System Restore issue before (IOW
without/before installing KB958644) and that you fixed it then by using
Rollback Rx, so how come you blame it on KB958644 this time?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/