KB958644 is this really important to update?

oz_cast

KB958644 is this really important to update?
I have not seen anybody post anything positive about this patch.

I want to know if this is really an important patch to install. also I want
to know that is a safe thing to do since I only see people complaining about
the patch.

I have a windows Server 2003 SP 2.

is it really necesary and is this going to mess up the company's server?

Thank you
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: KB958644 is this really important to update?
oz_cast wrote:

> I have not seen anybody post anything positive about this patch.

I can't imagine why anyone would come to a help newsgroup to say "I don't need
any help, it worked perfectly"! I've only seen a few dozen complaints in this
newsgroup - remember there are millions and millions of Windows computers
worldwide, so this really is a very very small fraction.

> I want to know if this is really an important patch to install.

Yes, it is, unless you like having malware on your machines. :-)

> also I want to know that is a safe thing to do since I only see people
> complaining about the patch.

Microsoft report no significant call volume, and from my own knowledge I can
tell you that we haven't have any problems in my department. That's eight
Windows 2003 servers running a variety of services, several hundred Windows XP
machines, and a couple of Vista boxes. I haven't heard of anything going wrong
elsewhere in the Uni either, with perhaps a hundred servers and several thousand
workstations altogether.

Harry.
Susan Bradley

oz_cast wrote:
> I have not seen anybody post anything positive about this patch.
>
> I want to know if this is really an important patch to install. also I want
> to know that is a safe thing to do since I only see people complaining about
> the patch.
>
> I have a windows Server 2003 SP 2.
>
> is it really necesary and is this going to mess up the company's server?
>
> Thank you

Yes it's really necessary.

You have to realize this is the help and support newsgroup. They aren't
going to post in here "I patched my entire network with no issues"

I have installed it all over the place with zero issues.

www.patchmanagement.org folks have reporting tons of no issues at all.
Jim

"oz_cast" <ozcast@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have not seen anybody post anything positive about this patch.
>
> I want to know if this is really an important patch to install. also I
> want
> to know that is a safe thing to do since I only see people complaining
> about
> the patch.
>
> I have a windows Server 2003 SP 2.
>
> is it really necesary and is this going to mess up the company's server?
>
> Thank you

OK, here is a couple for you. I installed this patch on both of my
computers shortly after the patch was released. Neither one has shown any
sign of difficulty.
Jim

Re: KB958644 is this really important to update?
<QP>
In terms of the security update itself, we’re seeing strong deployments
worldwide. We also have no reports of known issues with the security update
at this time.
</QP>
Source:
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archiv...-ms08-067.aspx

Also see...

Microsoft® Malware Protection Center : Get Protected, Now!:
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archiv...ected-now.aspx

Should you need it...

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB999999).

If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue" (which is
47830).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net