KB958644 problem

suexhue is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
KB958644 problem
Downloaded and installed this "critical update" on 23 Oct 2008. Shut computer down and the next day it would do nothing except "power on". No beep, no bios, no nothing. Keyboard dead, mouse lit up but useless, unable to access the repair utility on the install disk.

Solution: pulled out the hard drives and ram. Powered on and moboard responded to lack of memory. Kept the ram out for a few house to make sure it was totally discharged and restarted. Then the computer started the cycling bit. I put in different ram and restarted. I immediately did a restore back to before this "critical update" and disabled automatic installation of ANY downloads. I then replaced the original 2 gigs of ram and so far so good. I am thinking that I need to replace the ram since the update worked fine on my 3 XP machines.

I hope MS finds a way to patch this problem because I will not install KB958644 until they do.
Susan Bradley

Re: KB958644 problem
suexhue wrote:
> Downloaded and installed this "critical update" on 23 Oct 2008. Shut
> computer down and the next day it would do nothing except "power on".
> No beep, no bios, no nothing. Keyboard dead, mouse lit up but useless,
> unable to access the repair utility on the install disk.
>
> Solution: pulled out the hard drives and ram. Powered on and moboard
> responded to lack of memory. Kept the ram out for a few house to make
> sure it was totally discharged and restarted. Then the computer started
> the cycling bit. I put in different ram and restarted. I immediately
> did a restore back to before this "critical update" and disabled
> automatic installation of ANY downloads. I then replaced the original 2
> gigs of ram and so far so good. I am thinking that I need to replace
> the ram since the update worked fine on my 3 XP machines.
>
> I hope MS finds a way to patch this problem because I will not install
> KB958644 until they do.

I can tell you that this has been a very solid patch and your symptoms
may be a coincidence.

I'd try it again.

Re: KB958644 problem
KB958644 is a VERY important update to have installed! See
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archiv...ected-now.aspx

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB958644)

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

suexhue wrote:
> Downloaded and installed this "critical update" on 23 Oct 2008. Shut
> computer down and the next day it would do nothing except "power on".
> No beep, no bios, no nothing. Keyboard dead, mouse lit up but useless,
> unable to access the repair utility on the install disk.
>
> Solution: pulled out the hard drives and ram. Powered on and moboard
> responded to lack of memory. Kept the ram out for a few house to make
> sure it was totally discharged and restarted. Then the computer started
> the cycling bit. I put in different ram and restarted. I immediately
> did a restore back to before this "critical update" and disabled
> automatic installation of ANY downloads. I then replaced the original 2
> gigs of ram and so far so good. I am thinking that I need to replace
> the ram since the update worked fine on my 3 XP machines.
>
> I hope MS finds a way to patch this problem because I will not install
> KB958644 until they do.

suexhue is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: KB958644 problem
I know it is important, but it is also important to me to be able to access the video editing programs that I use the Vista computer for. It has the most hard drive space and cpu/ram power of the 3 I run and I need it to be working. I have already sent an incident report to MS and am awaiting a reply. The update was flawless on my other 2 computers. Thanks for the links. Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Bear [MS MVP] View Post
KB958644 is a VERY important update to have installed! See
Microsoft® Malware Protection Center : Get Protected, Now!

Support for Windows Update:
Microsoft Update Solution Center

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB958644)

site: Select your region

suexhue wrote:
> Downloaded and installed this "critical update" on 23 Oct 2008. Shut
> computer down and the next day it would do nothing except "power on".
> No beep, no bios, no nothing. Keyboard dead, mouse lit up but useless,
> unable to access the repair utility on the install disk.
>
> Solution: pulled out the hard drives and ram. Powered on and moboard
> responded to lack of memory. Kept the ram out for a few house to make
> sure it was totally discharged and restarted. Then the computer started
> the cycling bit. I put in different ram and restarted. I immediately
> did a restore back to before this "critical update" and disabled
> automatic installation of ANY downloads. I then replaced the original 2
> gigs of ram and so far so good. I am thinking that I need to replace
> the ram since the update worked fine on my 3 XP machines.
>
> I hope MS finds a way to patch this problem because I will not install
> KB958644 until they do.

suexhue is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: KB958644 problem
I agree, it is solid with my other computers - and as stated, I will replace the ram as I could have a bad module on one of the sticks, but I am not the only person reporting issues with this update.

My symptoms were not a coincidence and I can replicate them using the same configuration on my computer.

Susan
Susan Bradley

Re: KB958644 problem
suexhue wrote:
> I agree, it is solid with my other computers - and as stated, I will
> replace the ram as I could have a bad module on one of the sticks, but I
> am not the only person reporting issues with this update.
>
> My symptoms were not a coincidence and I can replicate them using the
> same configuration on my computer.
>
> Susan

Agreed but most of the issues can be traced to

1. antivirus interference
2. antispyware intereference

If you look in here very very few are 'dead systems' like yours and on
the PatchManagement listserve I've seeing a lot of successful patching.

After you put in the different ram did you try installing the patch again?
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: KB958644 problem
suexhue wrote:

> Downloaded and installed this "critical update" on 23 Oct 2008. Shut
> computer down and the next day it would do nothing except "power on".
> No beep, no bios, no nothing. Keyboard dead, mouse lit up but useless,
> unable to access the repair utility on the install disk.

There is simply no way a Windows update could cause this to happen. At this
point Windows hasn't even started booting yet!

Harry.

suexhue is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: KB958644 problem
you are probably right, like I have stated, it could be my memory and I will buy more to try. I do know that when I put different ram in that it worked ok (a bit slow with only 1 gig) but kept cycling trying to install the 3rd update. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the ram and then see.

Thanks to everyone for the input and especially the links to information. There are many things about Vista I love, but it is a bit cranky - eh?? I am hoping MS can marry XP Pro and Vista and come out with an awesome os next year!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Johnston [MVP] View Post
suexhue wrote:

> Downloaded and installed this "critical update" on 23 Oct 2008. Shut
> computer down and the next day it would do nothing except "power on".
> No beep, no bios, no nothing. Keyboard dead, mouse lit up but useless,
> unable to access the repair utility on the install disk.

There is simply no way a Windows update could cause this to happen. At this
point Windows hasn't even started booting yet!

Harry.

suexhue is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: KB958644 problem
When my computer tech brings the new ram I will install the patch again. Hopefully then I will be up and running again.
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: KB958644 problem
suexhue wrote:

> you are probably right, like I have stated, it could be my memory and I
> will buy more to try. I do know that when I put different ram in that
> it worked ok (a bit slow with only 1 gig) but kept cycling trying to
> install the 3rd update. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the ram and then
> see.

Actually with those symptoms it's not very likely to be RAM either (a RAM fault
would probably result in a beep code) although I guess depending on the model it
isn't out of the question. Did you try putting the original memory back in?

It may have simply been leaving it off for a while that caused it to recover;
this is fairly typical of motherboards with faulty capacitors, a common problem
in machines of a certain age. (How old is your machine, and what brand?)

Harry.