Windows Update Error 0x80248002

axim

Windows Update Error 0x80248002
Have read all of the posts on this error and none seem to work. I'm willing
to try again but hope someone can suggest best course of action. Here what
happens: WU checks for software... checks OK and then presente Express or
Custum radio buttons. After a short time, the error page & code pops up.
Anything new out there that I should try?
MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update Error 0x80248002
0x80248002 WU_E_DS_INVALID
The current and expected states of the data store do not match.

Which Version of Windows and what Service Pack level ?
Check the installed Add-ons for Internet Explorer and Disable all
add-ons that do not belong to Microsoft.
In the Control Panel, open Internet Options.
Click the Programs tab.
Click the Mangage Add-ons button.

IF a 3rd party add-on is not causing the issue, then suggest you rename
DataStore.edb, located in
WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

In order to rename DataStore.edb one must stop the associated services
that use it first. In XP, stop Automatic Updates and BITS. This can be
done from Start > Run > cmd
Click OK or press Enter.

In Vista, Windows Updates and BITS must be stopped using an *Elevated*
Command Prompt.

See this MSKB to learn how to run an Elevated Command Prompt:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958048

See: " For computers that are running Windows Vista and Windows Server
2008 "

Instead of elevating Notepad, as shown, enter 'command' in the Start
Search box. That's command without the ' '.
You do not need to rename the entire SoftwareDistribution folder hierarchy,
ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Instead, use these commands to rename DataStore.edb

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
cd %systemroot%
cd softwaredistribution
cd datastore
ren datastore.edb datastore.old
net start wuauserv
net start bits
exit

DataStore.edb is subject to corruption/damage when the installed
antivirus/security software is scanning it while it's 'locked' [in use].
To avoid the same issue in the future, see:

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

axim wrote:

> Have read all of the posts on this error and none seem to work. I'm willing
> to try again but hope someone can suggest best course of action. Here what
> happens: WU checks for software... checks OK and then presente Express or
> Custum radio buttons. After a short time, the error page & code pops up.
> Anything new out there that I should try?

axim

Re: Windows Update Error 0x80248002
Thanks for the timely reply. Forgot to mention that OS is XP w/SP3.
Installed SP3 manually to attempt to fix the problem. I will try the
suggestions below and then report back. Appreciate the assistance.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 0x80248002 WU_E_DS_INVALID
> The current and expected states of the data store do not match.
>
> Which Version of Windows and what Service Pack level ?
> Check the installed Add-ons for Internet Explorer and Disable all
> add-ons that do not belong to Microsoft.
> In the Control Panel, open Internet Options.
> Click the Programs tab.
> Click the Mangage Add-ons button.
>
> IF a 3rd party add-on is not causing the issue, then suggest you rename
> DataStore.edb, located in
> WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
>
> In order to rename DataStore.edb one must stop the associated services
> that use it first. In XP, stop Automatic Updates and BITS. This can be
> done from Start > Run > cmd
> Click OK or press Enter.
>
> In Vista, Windows Updates and BITS must be stopped using an *Elevated*
> Command Prompt.
>
> See this MSKB to learn how to run an Elevated Command Prompt:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958048
>
> See: " For computers that are running Windows Vista and Windows Server
> 2008 "
>
> Instead of elevating Notepad, as shown, enter 'command' in the Start
> Search box. That's command without the ' '.
> You do not need to rename the entire SoftwareDistribution folder hierarchy,
> ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
> Instead, use these commands to rename DataStore.edb
>
> net stop wuauserv
> net stop bits
> cd %systemroot%
> cd softwaredistribution
> cd datastore
> ren datastore.edb datastore.old
> net start wuauserv
> net start bits
> exit
>
> DataStore.edb is subject to corruption/damage when the installed
> antivirus/security software is scanning it while it's 'locked' [in use].
> To avoid the same issue in the future, see:
>
> Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
> Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> axim wrote:
>
> > Have read all of the posts on this error and none seem to work. I'm willing
> > to try again but hope someone can suggest best course of action. Here what
> > happens: WU checks for software... checks OK and then presente Express or
> > Custum radio buttons. After a short time, the error page & code pops up.
> > Anything new out there that I should try?

axim

Re: Windows Update Error 0x80248002
Update: This worked just great and solved my problem. All is well once
again! Thanks very much for the advice & help.
Regards.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 0x80248002 WU_E_DS_INVALID
> The current and expected states of the data store do not match.
>
> Which Version of Windows and what Service Pack level ?
> Check the installed Add-ons for Internet Explorer and Disable all
> add-ons that do not belong to Microsoft.
> In the Control Panel, open Internet Options.
> Click the Programs tab.
> Click the Mangage Add-ons button.
>
> IF a 3rd party add-on is not causing the issue, then suggest you rename
> DataStore.edb, located in
> WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
>
> In order to rename DataStore.edb one must stop the associated services
> that use it first. In XP, stop Automatic Updates and BITS. This can be
> done from Start > Run > cmd
> Click OK or press Enter.
>
> In Vista, Windows Updates and BITS must be stopped using an *Elevated*
> Command Prompt.
>
> See this MSKB to learn how to run an Elevated Command Prompt:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958048
>
> See: " For computers that are running Windows Vista and Windows Server
> 2008 "
>
> Instead of elevating Notepad, as shown, enter 'command' in the Start
> Search box. That's command without the ' '.
> You do not need to rename the entire SoftwareDistribution folder hierarchy,
> ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
> Instead, use these commands to rename DataStore.edb
>
> net stop wuauserv
> net stop bits
> cd %systemroot%
> cd softwaredistribution
> cd datastore
> ren datastore.edb datastore.old
> net start wuauserv
> net start bits
> exit
>
> DataStore.edb is subject to corruption/damage when the installed
> antivirus/security software is scanning it while it's 'locked' [in use].
> To avoid the same issue in the future, see:
>
> Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
> Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> axim wrote:
>
> > Have read all of the posts on this error and none seem to work. I'm willing
> > to try again but hope someone can suggest best course of action. Here what
> > happens: WU checks for software... checks OK and then presente Express or
> > Custum radio buttons. After a short time, the error page & code pops up.
> > Anything new out there that I should try?

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update Error 0x80248002
You're mowst welcome. Was the issue caused by an add-on or did you
rename DataStore.edb to resolve it ?

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten