KB947738

Bob Frasca

KB947738
I've installed this update 20 times. Each time it says it updated
successfully; however, it immediately prompts me to install it again. I've
tried downloading it manually and installing it. I've tried deleting the
Windows Update download folder. In the registry, it is listed, along with
VS 2005 sp1, as a patch; however, if I look in Add or Remove Programs it is
not listed as having been installed.

I'm running XP sp3 and I also have VS 2008 DB Developers (CTP 16) edition
installed.

The only reason I have this installed is to run BIDS. My goal is simply to
have it stop prompting me to install the patch. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: KB947738
See the section "How to obtain help and support for this security update" of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947738, Bob.

[Did you post about this issue elsewhere (e.g., another newsgroup or a
public forum)?]
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Bob Frasca wrote:
> I've installed this update 20 times. Each time it says it updated
> successfully; however, it immediately prompts me to install it again.
> I've
> tried downloading it manually and installing it. I've tried deleting the
> Windows Update download folder. In the registry, it is listed, along with
> VS 2005 sp1, as a patch; however, if I look in Add or Remove Programs it
> is
> not listed as having been installed.
>
> I'm running XP sp3 and I also have VS 2008 DB Developers (CTP 16) edition
> installed.
>
> The only reason I have this installed is to run BIDS. My goal is simply
> have it stop prompting me to install the patch. Anyone have any ideas?

TonyC

Re: KB947738
With respect, I've now read that advice around two dozen times in various
places all over the internet during my desperate search to get to the bottom
of this issue, but unfortunately it just isn't very helpful. The only useful
suggestion offered in the proffered link is to check the version of the
Windows Installer that one has to ensure that it is v3.1 but this is not my
problem.

I also have the same issue with KB954606 - i.e. a refusal to install despite
numerous attempts over the last several months.

After many attempts both updates did eventually install successfully on my
Thinkpad T61p but this is running Vista 64 bit, and if anything you might
have thought that this would be the 'problem' system. Both 32 bit XP Pro SP3
systems (on Dell Precision 'workstations') are still stubbornly refusing to
cooperate, and it is driving me nuts.

I always keep all of my systems bang up to the minute with MS updates, so
the fact that I have these two refusing to play ball is most infuriating.
Nothing like it has ever happened before in all the years I have been taking
automated updates from MS.

There seems to be surprisingly little information available from MS on this
issue which is clearly effecting quite a few people.

Can anybody point to a more direct source of advice or assistance at all
please?

(You will have my undying gratitude if you can. :-))

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See the section "How to obtain help and support for this security update" of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947738, Bob.
>
> [Did you post about this issue elsewhere (e.g., another newsgroup or a
> public forum)?]
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Bob Frasca wrote:
> > I've installed this update 20 times. Each time it says it updated
> > successfully; however, it immediately prompts me to install it again.
> > I've
> > tried downloading it manually and installing it. I've tried deleting the
> > Windows Update download folder. In the registry, it is listed, along with
> > VS 2005 sp1, as a patch; however, if I look in Add or Remove Programs it
> > is
> > not listed as having been installed.
> >
> > I'm running XP sp3 and I also have VS 2008 DB Developers (CTP 16) edition
> > installed.
> >
> > The only reason I have this installed is to run BIDS. My goal is simply
> > have it stop prompting me to install the patch. Anyone have any ideas?

Bob Frasca

Re: KB947738
Yes, I have also followed many threads and gone down many paths and none of
them work. I can't believe there isn't some way to simply refuse an update
even if it is "critical". I'm not a home user so I'd have to jump through
hoops to get support for what amounts to an annoyance. Perhaps the goal is
to annoy XP users enough to switch to Vista...chuckle. (I've got Vista at
home and it is currently unable to obtain updates for some mysterious reason
that I can't find any answers to either. Unfortunately, I haven't had time
to do much research on that one yet.)

"TonyC" <TonyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > I've installed this update 20 times. Each time it says it updated
>> > successfully; however, it immediately prompts me to install it again.
>> > I've
>> > tried downloading it manually and installing it. I've tried deleting
>> > the
>> > Windows Update download folder. In the registry, it is listed, along
>> > with
>> > VS 2005 sp1, as a patch; however, if I look in Add or Remove Programs
>> > it
>> > is
>> > not listed as having been installed.
>> >
>> > I'm running XP sp3 and I also have VS 2008 DB Developers (CTP 16)
>> > edition
>> > installed.
>> >
>> > The only reason I have this installed is to run BIDS. My goal is
>> > simply
>> > have it stop prompting me to install the patch. Anyone have any ideas?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: KB947738
"TonyC" <TonyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> With respect, I've now read that advice around two dozen times in various
> places all over the internet during my desperate search to get to the bottom
> of this issue, but unfortunately it just isn't very helpful.

If you're implying that you are willing to do some diagnosis
you should be starting your own thread and describing whatever
problems you are having with the analysis of the diagnostics
you have assembled so far. (BTW so far I have only seen this
one post from TonyC.)

> The only useful
> suggestion offered in the proffered link is to check the version of the
> Windows Installer that one has to ensure that it is v3.1 but this is not my
> problem.
>

> I also have the same issue with KB954606 - i.e. a refusal to install despite
> numerous attempts over the last several months.

So, look at that KB article and the modules it mentions.
Go to the corresponding TechNet Bulletin for instructions
on how to check it if necessary.

And then if you need more help start your own thread
(to avoid hijacking this one which is about a completely
different update for a completely different product
on a completely different OS.)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> After many attempts both updates did eventually install successfully on my
> Thinkpad T61p but this is running Vista 64 bit, and if anything you might
> have thought that this would be the 'problem' system.

> Both 32 bit XP Pro SP3
> systems (on Dell Precision 'workstations') are still stubbornly refusing to
> cooperate, and it is driving me nuts.
>
> I always keep all of my systems bang up to the minute with MS updates, so
> the fact that I have these two refusing to play ball is most infuriating.
> Nothing like it has ever happened before in all the years I have been taking
> automated updates from MS.
>
> There seems to be surprisingly little information available from MS on this
> issue which is clearly effecting quite a few people.
>
> Can anybody point to a more direct source of advice or assistance at all
> please?
>
> (You will have my undying gratitude if you can. :-))
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> See the section "How to obtain help and support for this security update" of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947738, Bob.
>>
>> [Did you post about this issue elsewhere (e.g., another newsgroup or a
>> public forum)?]
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Bob Frasca wrote:
>> > I've installed this update 20 times. Each time it says it updated
>> > successfully; however, it immediately prompts me to install it again.
>> > I've
>> > tried downloading it manually and installing it. I've tried deleting the
>> > Windows Update download folder. In the registry, it is listed, along with
>> > VS 2005 sp1, as a patch; however, if I look in Add or Remove Programs it
>> > is
>> > not listed as having been installed.
>> >
>> > I'm running XP sp3 and I also have VS 2008 DB Developers (CTP 16) edition
>> > installed.
>> >
>> > The only reason I have this installed is to run BIDS. My goal is simply
>> > have it stop prompting me to install the patch. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: KB947738
Repost:
>> See the section "How to obtain help and support for this security update"
>> of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947738...

Spelling it your for you:

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB947738)

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

TonyC wrote:
> With respect, I've now read that advice around two dozen times in various
> places all over the internet during my desperate search to get to the
> bottom
> of this issue, but unfortunately it just isn't very helpful. The only
> useful suggestion offered in the proffered link is to check the version of
> the Windows Installer that one has to ensure that it is v3.1 but this is
> not my problem.
>
> I also have the same issue with KB954606 - i.e. a refusal to install
> despite
> numerous attempts over the last several months.
>
> After many attempts both updates did eventually install successfully on my
> Thinkpad T61p but this is running Vista 64 bit, and if anything you might
> have thought that this would be the 'problem' system. Both 32 bit XP Pro
> SP3 systems (on Dell Precision 'workstations') are still stubbornly
> refusing to cooperate, and it is driving me nuts.
>
> I always keep all of my systems bang up to the minute with MS updates, so
> the fact that I have these two refusing to play ball is most infuriating.
> Nothing like it has ever happened before in all the years I have been
> taking
> automated updates from MS.
>
> There seems to be surprisingly little information available from MS on
> this
> issue which is clearly effecting quite a few people.
>
> Can anybody point to a more direct source of advice or assistance at all
> please?
>
> (You will have my undying gratitude if you can. :-))
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> See the section "How to obtain help and support for this security update"
>> of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947738, Bob.
>>
>> [Did you post about this issue elsewhere (e.g., another newsgroup or a
>> public forum)?]
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Bob Frasca wrote:
>>> I've installed this update 20 times. Each time it says it updated
>>> successfully; however, it immediately prompts me to install it again.
>>> I've
>>> tried downloading it manually and installing it. I've tried deleting
>>> the
>>> Windows Update download folder. In the registry, it is listed, along
>>> with
>>> VS 2005 sp1, as a patch; however, if I look in Add or Remove Programs it
>>> is
>>> not listed as having been installed.
>>>
>>> I'm running XP sp3 and I also have VS 2008 DB Developers (CTP 16)
>>> edition
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> The only reason I have this installed is to run BIDS. My goal is simply
>>> have it stop prompting me to install the patch. Anyone have any ideas?

TonyC

Re: KB947738
I'm not hijacking the thread. I was adding (meagre, because it's all I
have)additional information concerning the same symptoms with a different
update.

I am perfectly well versed in general netiquette thank you very much, and I
have already gone through all of the usual self-help measures - including
reading all the available relevant material that I can find - including that
which you mention - several times over.

I am sorry that you have jumped to conclusions about me and my post, but I
guess I should have realised that my expression of frustration at the paucity
of available information would be misinterpreted as an attack on an
individual.

To avoid fanning the flames further I will avoid pointing out the factual
errors in your own response as they were no doubt triggered by your own
eagerness to engage in a fight on the back of a hasty (mis)reading of my note.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "TonyC" <TonyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > With respect, I've now read that advice around two dozen times in various
> > places all over the internet during my desperate search to get to the bottom
> > of this issue, but unfortunately it just isn't very helpful.

> If you're implying that you are willing to do some diagnosis
> you should be starting your own thread and describing whatever
> problems you are having with the analysis of the diagnostics
> you have assembled so far. (BTW so far I have only seen this
> one post from TonyC.)
>

> > The only useful
> > suggestion offered in the proffered link is to check the version of the
> > Windows Installer that one has to ensure that it is v3.1 but this is not my
> > problem.
> >

> > I also have the same issue with KB954606 - i.e. a refusal to install despite
> > numerous attempts over the last several months.

> So, look at that KB article and the modules it mentions.
> Go to the corresponding TechNet Bulletin for instructions
> on how to check it if necessary.
>
> And then if you need more help start your own thread
> (to avoid hijacking this one which is about a completely
> different update for a completely different product
> on a completely different OS.)
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > After many attempts both updates did eventually install successfully on my
> > Thinkpad T61p but this is running Vista 64 bit, and if anything you might
> > have thought that this would be the 'problem' system.

> > Both 32 bit XP Pro SP3
> > systems (on Dell Precision 'workstations') are still stubbornly refusing to
> > cooperate, and it is driving me nuts.
> >
> > I always keep all of my systems bang up to the minute with MS updates, so
> > the fact that I have these two refusing to play ball is most infuriating.
> > Nothing like it has ever happened before in all the years I have been taking
> > automated updates from MS.
> >
> > There seems to be surprisingly little information available from MS on this
> > issue which is clearly effecting quite a few people.
> >
> > Can anybody point to a more direct source of advice or assistance at all
> > please?
> >
> > (You will have my undying gratitude if you can. :-))
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> See the section "How to obtain help and support for this security update" of
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947738, Bob.
> >>
> >> [Did you post about this issue elsewhere (e.g., another newsgroup or a
> >> public forum)?]
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

TonyC

Re: KB947738
> Spelling it your for you:

Thanks for that. I guess my past experiences with trying to get an answer
out of MS have coloured my judgement on this as I tend to dismiss the idea of
trying to contact them until the very last resort.

However since this has been going on for months now perhaps that is what I
will have to do.

I will take a crack at contacting MS as you suggest, and If I get an answer
that improves the matter in any way I will report it back to this thread.

Wish me luck. :-)

"Bob Frasca" <bfrasca@xostech.com> wrote in message news:OIkd3eDOJHA.1160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> [Subject: KB947738]

<title>MS08-052: Description of the security update for GDI+
for Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1: September 9, 2008</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947738

> I've installed this update 20 times. Each time it says it updated
> successfully; however, it immediately prompts me to install it again.

> I've tried downloading it manually and installing it.

Then your symptoms for that case are essentially independent of AU/MU
and you may get more informed help from newsgroups which specialize
in the product(s) being updated.

> I've tried deleting the Windows Update download folder.

That wouldn't affect your symptoms with your manual install attempt.

> In the registry, it is listed, along with VS 2005 sp1, as a patch;
> however, if I look in Add or Remove Programs
> it is not listed as having been installed.

Assuming you have "Show updates" checked, that would suggest
that your install did not complete. So check the install log to figure out
what didn't work. If you have access to another user's KB947738
install log who updated successfully, for the same environment
and maintenance levels, then you could usefully compare them and add
any differences to your symptom description.

Alternatively, for your manual install at least, you could supplement
that log with verbose logging and if that's not enough you could
supplement that with a ProcMon trace which can help clarify
what the log messages you are getting really mean.

Use the KB article and its list of modules as a guide to analysing
your log and to help figure out which ones haven't been copied
into the system directories correctly. Take note of what all was
running when the install attempt was made. Perhaps something
in that set interferes enough that the update can't complete? Etc.

> I'm running XP sp3 and I also have VS 2008 DB Developers (CTP 16) edition
> installed.
>
> The only reason I have this installed is to run BIDS. My goal is simply to
> have it stop prompting me to install the patch. Anyone have any ideas?

Good luck

Robert
---

Re: KB947738
You're welcome. By now you know that no one here (including MVPs)
represents or works for MS.

FYI, when an update "refuses to install," one usually finds an error in
WindowsUpdate.log related to the failure(s). Including such errors (e.g.,
0x8024000B; 0x8007F0DA) in your posts to this newsgroup or when seeking free
support from MS is always helpful.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

You can also compare the error(s) to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.
--
~PA Bear