WSUS management style.

Marco

WSUS management style.
Hi all,
By two years I run WSUS 2.0 for my company, in “centralized management,
replica role” mode. Every client in several plants, looking for metadata and
updates files on their own WSUS replica servers and WSUS replica servers
download update files from one Administration server, holding internal
bandwidth. This is not a problem since every plant is in Europe (and jet leg
is not so different). Actually we decide to link other four plants outside
the Europe, so could I keep “centralized management” style for these new
replica servers, but set to them to download updates files from their close
internet connection and not from Europe. Is maybe a feature available with
“new” WSUS 3.0 version?
Many thanks.
Marco.

Re: WSUS management style.
Right pew, wrong church. Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
(microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
convenience to OP.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:

Marco wrote:
> Hi all,
> By two years I run WSUS 2.0 for my company, in “centralized management,
> replica role” mode. Every client in several plants, looking for metadata
> and
> updates files on their own WSUS replica servers and WSUS replica servers
> download update files from one Administration server, holding internal
> bandwidth. This is not a problem since every plant is in Europe (and jet
> leg
> is not so different). Actually we decide to link other four plants
> outside
> the Europe, so could I keep “centralized management” style for these new
> replica servers, but set to them to download updates files from their
> close
> internet connection and not from Europe. Is maybe a feature available with
> “new” WSUS 3.0 version?
> Many thanks.
> Marco.

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

Re: WSUS management style.
> Marco wrote:

>> Actually we decide to link other four plants outside
>> the Europe, so could I keep “centralized management” style for these new
>> replica servers, but set to them to download updates files from their
>> close
>> internet connection and not from Europe. Is maybe a feature available
>> with
>> “new” WSUS 3.0 version?

There is a feature in WSUS 3.0 that allows you to have centralized
management of update approvals, but have the WSUS Server download content
from microsoft.com.

The specific site of microsoft.com is not user-configurable, but presumably
DNS resolution will direct each WSUS Server to the logically closest
download server.

However, before you can deploy WSUS 3.0 as replica servers, you will have to
upgrade the central server (and any intermediate servers) to WSUS 3.0,
as a WSUS 3.0 server cannot synchronize with a WSUS 2.0 server.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com