Re: Error No.:0x80070424 Unable to download from site

MadDogCole

Re: Error No.:0x80070424 Unable to download from site
Hi Guys.

I also have the same issue on my Compaq laptop, but even though I followed
the steps detailed, the solution has apparently made no change to the
situation.
I STILL get the same error code...... :-((
Anything else I can try?

TIA,

Mark

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi Sheila,
>
> Give this a try and see if it solves the problem..............
>
> Go to Start>Run and key in:
> regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
> Click on OK or hit ENTER, wait a few seconds, then click on OK in the
> RegSvr32 dialogue box.
> Now, open the registry editor (Start>Run key in regedit then click on OK or
> hit ENTER)
> Navigate to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\wuauserv
> Look for a DeleteFlag value and, if it exists, right-click on it and select
> Delete.
>

> Now see if if you can successfully update.
> If not, then:
>
> Go to Start>Run and key in:
> net stop wuauserv
> Then click on OK or hit ENTER
> When the Automatic Updates service has stopped, use My Computer or Windows
> Explorer to navigate to the C:\Windows or C:\WINNT (if C:\Windows does not
> exist) folder. Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SDOLD
> Go to Start>Run and key in:
> net start wuauserv
> Then click on OK or hit ENTER
>
> Now try the Windows Update site and see if the error has been resolved.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Sheila" <Sheila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am unable to download any updates from the website : - Displays the
> > following :
> > The website has encounted a problem and cannot display the page you are
> > trying to view - Error No. 0x80070424
> > Also unable to switch on Automatic Updates.

Robert Aldwinckle

"MadDogCole" <MadDogCole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:932CE731-3707-40F1-A80F-5D145C78943C@microsoft.com...
> Hi Guys.
>
> I also have the same issue on my Compaq laptop, but even though I followed
> the steps detailed, the solution has apparently made no change to the
> situation.
> I STILL get the same error code...... :-((

> Anything else I can try?

<repost>
If you search the MS Support site for your code
you can find

<title>You cannot turn on the Automatic Updates feature on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916261

(Live Search for
update 0x80070424 site:support.microsoft.com
)

<quote>
3. Double-click the inf folder, right-click au, and then click Install.
</quote>

so it appears that you are using a simpler solution as a workaround
for what really could be a symptom of a more severe problem.

BTW that KB article might be at odds with a another common suggestion
of similar vintage which would replace all those modules that inf file
references:

8/20/2005 8:13 PM PST
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...15c&sloc=en-us

(Alt-7 search for
0x80070424 "windowsupdateagent20-x86" MVP
)

I don't know but I suspect the KB article is a more current procedure
which should be used now. E.g. even if it regressed the modules that
you have now it would probably result in a functional update service;
then one of the first things it would do would be update itself
with the most current versions of those modules.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---
</repost>

> TIA,
>
> Mark
>
> "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
>
>> Hi Sheila,
>>
>> Give this a try and see if it solves the problem..............
>>
>> Go to Start>Run and key in:
>> regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
>> Click on OK or hit ENTER, wait a few seconds, then click on OK in the
>> RegSvr32 dialogue box.
>> Now, open the registry editor (Start>Run key in regedit then click on OK or
>> hit ENTER)
>> Navigate to:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\wuauserv
>> Look for a DeleteFlag value and, if it exists, right-click on it and select
>> Delete.
>>

>> Now see if if you can successfully update.
>> If not, then:
>>
>> Go to Start>Run and key in:
>> net stop wuauserv
>> Then click on OK or hit ENTER
>> When the Automatic Updates service has stopped, use My Computer or Windows
>> Explorer to navigate to the C:\Windows or C:\WINNT (if C:\Windows does not
>> exist) folder. Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SDOLD
>> Go to Start>Run and key in:
>> net start wuauserv
>> Then click on OK or hit ENTER
>>
>> Now try the Windows Update site and see if the error has been resolved.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Patti MacLeod
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "Sheila" <Sheila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I am unable to download any updates from the website : - Displays the
>> > following :
>> > The website has encounted a problem and cannot display the page you are
>> > trying to view - Error No. 0x80070424
>> > Also unable to switch on Automatic Updates.

MadDogCole

Re: Error No.:0x80070424 Unable to download from site
Hey Rob.
My mistake, I should have included it runs Vista Home Edition, 1GB, fully
verified, but no updates d/l for nearly 3 months becuase of this issue!

Mark

"MadDogCole" <MadDogCole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E5A973A1-566B-4380-B187-A112A58E4390@microsoft.com...
> Hey Rob.
> My mistake, I should have included it runs Vista Home Edition, 1GB, fully
> verified, but no updates d/l for nearly 3 months becuase of this issue!

>> > I STILL get the same error code...... :-((

>> > Anything else I can try?

Then how about some diagnosis?

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c = 0x424
1060
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
</cmd_output>

E.g. how do we know that the "specified service" is wuauserv?
Perhaps it's BITS instead?

What is the context of this code in WindowsUpdate.log?

HTH

Robert
---