Windows update questions XXX

CP

Windows update questions XXX
I have picked up a bug of some kind on one of my Windows XP Home PC's.
It did a lot of damage, mostly of which I fixed.
I still have a problem where if I go to www.windowsupdate.com and try to
update the page hangs.
I tried using Firefox to do the same thing but MS doesn't allow it although
it does say something about going to Control Panel/System/AutoUpdates and
then clicking Maintenance or something similar to get updates but I don't
see what there talking about.
What other options are there for getting Updates? Can I download to my PC
and then take it to the infected PC? Is there a way other than using the
Windowsupdate page to download files to get the PC current? The PC is
currently at pre-SP1.
Thanks
CP

Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows update questions XXX
CP wrote:
> I have picked up a bug of some kind on one of my Windows XP Home
> PC's. It did a lot of damage, mostly of which I fixed.
> I still have a problem where if I go to www.windowsupdate.com and
> try to update the page hangs.
> I tried using Firefox to do the same thing but MS doesn't allow it
> although it does say something about going to Control
> Panel/System/AutoUpdates and then clicking Maintenance or something
> similar to get updates but I don't see what there talking about.
> What other options are there for getting Updates? Can I download to
> my PC and then take it to the infected PC? Is there a way other
> than using the Windowsupdate page to download files to get the PC
> current? The PC is currently at pre-SP1.

First thing to try:
As many will tell you - ignore the title and symptoms listed in the article
referred to. Do method 1 and 2 and see if it fixes your issue whether or
not you repaired anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
Try method 1 and try to update*.
If fails - try method 2 and try to update*.

*try to update:
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
- If it asks you to install anything before you see a selection of "Custom"
or "Express" - do so.
- Once you see the "Custom" or "Express" selection, choose "Custom".
- Scan for updates.
- When it lists what it finds - install the critical ones.
- You are generally safe doing the Optional Software Updates. I suggest
avoiding the Optional Hardware Updates completely.

Second thing to try:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

Third thing to try:
Get Dial-a-Fix:
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Use its options to fix:
- Windows Installer
- Windows Update
- All the Registration Center options.

Turn off the "Empty System32\Catroot 2"
Do NOT do "Flush SoftwareDistribution".

Then click "GO" and wait until it is done... Reboot will be needed.

- Download/Install Windows Update v3.
(You *may* need to install it using the command line switch "/wuforce"
right after the reboot - immediately after logging in.)

- Reboot.
- Visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and scan for/install updates.

Usually - method one from the first suggestion fixes the issue.
Sometimes they have to proceed to method two from the first suggestion.

Less seldom - but it does happen - only the tool from the second suggestion
will work - although the first suggestion is contained within the second in
many ways (as well as some of the third.)

And the third suggestion is there because before there was a suggestion (1)
and a suggestion (2) - the third was the best bet and worked in most cases.

Let us know!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

TaurArian

Re: Windows update questions XXX
You'll need SP2 before you can even look at WU page -
Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)

After you install SP2 successfully, then you could install SP3 and so on via
WU.

FYI -

You can also download individual updates from the Catalog and save to be
installed later.
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Search for a download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en

How to install multiple Windows updates or hotfixes with only one reboot
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296861

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"CP" <cptrout@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have picked up a bug of some kind on one of my Windows XP Home PC's.
> It did a lot of damage, mostly of which I fixed.
> I still have a problem where if I go to www.windowsupdate.com and try to
> update the page hangs.
> I tried using Firefox to do the same thing but MS doesn't allow it
> although it does say something about going to Control
> Panel/System/AutoUpdates and then clicking Maintenance or something
> similar to get updates but I don't see what there talking about.
> What other options are there for getting Updates? Can I download to my PC
> and then take it to the infected PC? Is there a way other than using the
> Windowsupdate page to download files to get the PC current? The PC is
> currently at pre-SP1.
> Thanks
> CP

CP

Re: Windows update questions XXX
Thanks. Really appreciate it.

My only concern is that I'm not even to SP1.

"TaurArian" <taurarian@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You'll need SP2 before you can even look at WU page -
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)
>
> After you install SP2 successfully, then you could install SP3 and so on
> via WU.
>
> FYI -
>
> You can also download individual updates from the Catalog and save to be
> installed later.
> http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx
>
> Search for a download
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en
>
> How to install multiple Windows updates or hotfixes with only one reboot
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296861
>

> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
>

> "CP" <cptrout@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have picked up a bug of some kind on one of my Windows XP Home PC's.
>> It did a lot of damage, mostly of which I fixed.
>> I still have a problem where if I go to www.windowsupdate.com and try to
>> update the page hangs.
>> I tried using Firefox to do the same thing but MS doesn't allow it
>> although it does say something about going to Control
>> Panel/System/AutoUpdates and then clicking Maintenance or something
>> similar to get updates but I don't see what there talking about.
>> What other options are there for getting Updates? Can I download to my PC
>> and then take it to the infected PC? Is there a way other than using the
>> Windowsupdate page to download files to get the PC current? The PC is
>> currently at pre-SP1.
>> Thanks
>> CP

Re: Windows update questions XXX
HOW TO get WinXP Gold fully patched:

1a. Download & save the installer for WinXP SP2 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-9e368d3cdb5a

[Yes, you can skip SP1]

1b. Download & save the installer for WinXP SP3 to your desktop:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1e1555d4f3d4

2. Read & heed:

3a. Logged in as Administrator, if necessary, double-click on the saved file
to install WinXP *SP2*. Follow all prompts; be patient, and reboot twice
when the install completes.

3b. Logged in as Administrator, if necessary, double-click on the saved file
to install WinXP SP3. Follow all prompts; be patient, and reboot twice when
the install completes.

4. Do Resolution Method 2 here (trust me):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

5. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Install any required software
then click on CONTINUE | Select CUSTOM and scan | Install any critical
security updates offered. Again, follow all prompts.

[I do NOT recommend installing IE7 via Windows Update.]

6. Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled; cf.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Addtional References:

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

Learn how to protect your PC by taking three simple steps
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-602954130D38
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

CP wrote:
> Thanks. Really appreciate it.
>
> My only concern is that I'm not even to SP1.
>

> "TaurArian" <taurarian@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> You'll need SP2 before you can even look at WU page -
>> Windows XP Service Pack 2 - download (for single PCs also)
>>
>> After you install SP2 successfully, then you could install SP3 and so on
>> via WU.
>>
>> FYI -
>>
>> You can also download individual updates from the Catalog and save to be
>> installed later.
>> http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx
>>
>> Search for a download
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/s...displaylang=en
>>
>> How to install multiple Windows updates or hotfixes with only one reboot
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296861
>>

>> --
>>
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>> ======================================
>> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
>> guarantees and doesn't give any rights.
>> Computer Maintenance: Acronis / Diskeeper / Paragon / Raxco
>>

>> "CP" <cptrout@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I have picked up a bug of some kind on one of my Windows XP Home PC's.
>>> It did a lot of damage, mostly of which I fixed.
>>> I still have a problem where if I go to www.windowsupdate.com and try to
>>> update the page hangs.
>>> I tried using Firefox to do the same thing but MS doesn't allow it
>>> although it does say something about going to Control
>>> Panel/System/AutoUpdates and then clicking Maintenance or something
>>> similar to get updates but I don't see what there talking about.
>>> What other options are there for getting Updates? Can I download to my
>>> PC
>>> and then take it to the infected PC? Is there a way other than using the
>>> Windowsupdate page to download files to get the PC current? The PC is
>>> currently at pre-SP1.
>>> Thanks
>>> CP