How to install xp sp3 after cancelling?

fdr232

How to install xp sp3 after cancelling?
1) a while back, i cancelled the installation of xp sp3 (before it started)
so that i can do a backup first. now for the life of me, i can't figure out
how to force an installation of xp sp3. it does show (as it should) under my
UPDATE HISTORY when i'm on the MS Update page (and it does show that my
Automatic Update was indeed cancelled). but i don't see any way of restarting
this installation. any ideas?

2) in the meantime, my Automatic Updater has accumulated over a dozen other
updates, which i haven't installed yet, since i am assuming that it would be
best to first install xp sp3 before moving forward with the other updates. is
this a good assumption?

thx a million in advance.
JS

Re: How to install xp sp3 after cancelling?
First verify that you are still at SP2
(Start/Run/winver)

Then download the full SP3 file
Where to download the SP3 installation file:
(File is large but will only install components that your PC requires)

Install SP3 using the above file.

Also: How to optimize your chances of installing Windows XP SP3
successfully:
http://www.pagestart.com/windowsxpsp3p3pg8.html

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"fdr232" <fdr232@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 1) a while back, i cancelled the installation of xp sp3 (before it
> started)
> so that i can do a backup first. now for the life of me, i can't figure
> out
> how to force an installation of xp sp3. it does show (as it should) under
> my
> UPDATE HISTORY when i'm on the MS Update page (and it does show that my
> Automatic Update was indeed cancelled). but i don't see any way of
> restarting
> this installation. any ideas?
>
> 2) in the meantime, my Automatic Updater has accumulated over a dozen
> other
> updates, which i haven't installed yet, since i am assuming that it would
> be
> best to first install xp sp3 before moving forward with the other updates.
> is
> this a good assumption?
>
> thx a million in advance.

Re: How to install xp sp3 after cancelling?
I would install the other updates first, FDR, and ASAP!

You could then install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update website: Go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com | Install any software needed to be able
to use Windows Update, if prompted to do so, then press CONTINUE | Select
CUSTOM and scan | Assuming WinXP SP3 is offered, select it *only* and follow
the prompts.

NB: If IE7 is not already installed, I would NOT recommend installing it via
Windows Update!

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

fdr232 wrote:
> 1) a while back, i cancelled the installation of xp sp3 (before it
> started)
> so that i can do a backup first. now for the life of me, i can't figure
> out
> how to force an installation of xp sp3. it does show (as it should) under
> my
> UPDATE HISTORY when i'm on the MS Update page (and it does show that my
> Automatic Update was indeed cancelled). but i don't see any way of
> restarting this installation. any ideas?
>
> 2) in the meantime, my Automatic Updater has accumulated over a dozen
> other
> updates, which i haven't installed yet, since i am assuming that it would
> be
> best to first install xp sp3 before moving forward with the other updates.
> is this a good assumption?
>
> thx a million in advance.

Al

RE: How to install xp sp3 after cancelling?
Al Russell

"fdr232" wrote:

> 1) a while back, i cancelled the installation of xp sp3 (before it started)
> so that i can do a backup first. now for the life of me, i can't figure out
> how to force an installation of xp sp3. it does show (as it should) under my
> UPDATE HISTORY when i'm on the MS Update page (and it does show that my
> Automatic Update was indeed cancelled). but i don't see any way of restarting
> this installation. any ideas?
>
> 2) in the meantime, my Automatic Updater has accumulated over a dozen other
> updates, which i haven't installed yet, since i am assuming that it would be
> best to first install xp sp3 before moving forward with the other updates. is
> this a good assumption?
>
> thx a million in advance.

Re: How to install xp sp3 after cancelling?
Nipsy Russell

Al wrote:
> Al Russell
>
> "fdr232" wrote:
>
>> 1) a while back, i cancelled the installation of xp sp3 (before it
>> started)
>> so that i can do a backup first. now for the life of me, i can't figure
>> out
>> how to force an installation of xp sp3. it does show (as it should) under
>> my UPDATE HISTORY when i'm on the MS Update page (and it does show that
>> my
>> Automatic Update was indeed cancelled). but i don't see any way of
>> restarting this installation. any ideas?
>>
>> 2) in the meantime, my Automatic Updater has accumulated over a dozen
>> other
>> updates, which i haven't installed yet, since i am assuming that it would
>> be best to first install xp sp3 before moving forward with the other
>> updates. is this a good assumption?
>>
>> thx a million in advance.

fdr232

Re: How to install xp sp3 after cancelling?
Thanks very much.

It seems like (as you suggested) I had to first move forward with the dozen
or so updates that my Automatic Updates program was asking me to install.

Once I did that (and rebooted), then my Automatic Updates program came back
and asked me to install the xp sp3 update (which it didn't before).

Thx again.