Page Fault on XP SP3

dstdba

Page Fault on XP SP3
I updated my Thinkpad with XP SP2 - hadn't done for a couple of years, so I
waited patiently while 47 updates went in. Then I was advised to install SP3.
After having done so the Thinkpad was damned hard to get started. Eventually
I managed to get XP up in safe mode, but as soon as I plugged an USB device
into the port it bolted!
Eventually I had to opt - while in safe moce - to deinstall SP3. So after
another long time it now works ok! And I have my 47 SP2 updates installed
ok! Thank you, Microsoft!
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Page Fault on XP SP3
"dstdba" <dstdba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I updated my Thinkpad with XP SP2 - hadn't done for a couple of years, so I
> waited patiently while 47 updates went in. Then I was advised to install SP3.
> After having done so the Thinkpad was damned hard to get started. Eventually

> I managed to get XP up in safe mode, but as soon as I plugged an USB device
> into the port it bolted!

Typo for rebooted? ; )

That would mean that you have Autorecovery enabled.
E.g. in System Properties (press Win-Break, Advanced, Settings,
System failure: Automatically restart)

First look for clues about your crash using the Event Viewer.
(e.g. Run... eventvwr.exe and check the System log.)
If you don't see enough clues about your crash that way you could
uncheck that Auto restart option and get the BSOD to wait for you
to transcribe (or snap a photo of it.)

> Eventually I had to opt - while in safe moce - to deinstall SP3.

More likely there is an incompatibility with a driver.
So you would either try to roll back (that's the technical term)
a non-standard driver you have installed or look for a more up-to-date
one, e.g. one which is compatible with XPsp3. The diagnostics from
the BSOD could give you some clues about which specific driver
to focus on.

> So after
> another long time it now works ok! And I have my 47 SP2 updates installed
> ok! Thank you, Microsoft!

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: Page Fault on XP SP3
> I updated my Thinkpad with XP SP2 - hadn't done for a couple of years...

Why? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
subcription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
in the background when you installed WinXP SP3?

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/