Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x800700

K. Morgan Mattison

Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x800700
Do you have a remedy for 'Error 0x8007005' and 'Access Denied' response when
attempting to DownLoad and Install Windows XP Service Pack 3?
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x800700
K. Morgan Mattison wrote:
> Do you have a remedy for 'Error 0x8007005' and 'Access Denied'
> response when attempting to DownLoad and Install Windows XP Service
> Pack 3?

"You"?
I guess you mean 'anyone who feels like sharing'...?
(Volunteer-based newsgroups replicated throughout the world onto many many
servers.)

Did you happen to Google/use a search engine?

Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is
denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
(I have personally found "Method 3: Reset the registry and the file
permissions" works for a lot of people when getting that error message.)

If that fails...

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

KDelphi

Re: Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x80
I have been having problems with SP 3 for MONTHS--I am not kidding. I have an
older Gateway, and they will not even talk to me for less tham $50. If I try
to install SP3--my pc freezes and logs me off. I have to SR. (8 times the
other day) So I turn off Auto. Updates. I also turn it off on my Trend NMicro
Virus--which makes me uneasy. But, just yesterday, my pc apparently tried to
instll SP 3 4000 times. I could not make this stuff up. I have changed the
firewall, I am out of answers. By email, I keep being told to alter the
registry--I am just not comfortable with that. WHY cant I just get it to stop
installing? Is it that important to security? Thanks....

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> K. Morgan Mattison wrote:
> > Do you have a remedy for 'Error 0x8007005' and 'Access Denied'
> > response when attempting to DownLoad and Install Windows XP Service
> > Pack 3?

> "You"?
> I guess you mean 'anyone who feels like sharing'...?
> (Volunteer-based newsgroups replicated throughout the world onto many many
> servers.)
>
> Did you happen to Google/use a search engine?
>
> Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is
> denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
> (I have personally found "Method 3: Reset the registry and the file
> permissions" works for a lot of people when getting that error message.)
>
> If that fails...
>
> A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x80
@KDelphi only:

You are welcome to begin a new thread about /your/ specific issues (which
apparently have nothing to do with Access Denied errors).

> Why get it to stop installing?

Because Automatic Updates has (apparently) already downloaded the installer
and wants to reinstall it.

> Is it that important to security?

Not really but (1) free installation support ends in less than 6 months and
(2) there will come a time (2010) when you won't be offered any further
Windows Updates if SP3 isn't installed so you might as well get it done now
while there's still free support.

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

KDelphi wrote:
> I have been having problems with SP 3 for MONTHS--I am not kidding.
> I have an older Gateway, and they will not even talk to me for less
> tham $50. If I try to install SP3--my pc freezes and logs me off. I
> have to SR. (8 times the other day) So I turn off Auto. Updates. I
> also turn it off on my Trend NMicro Virus--which makes me uneasy.
> But, just yesterday, my pc apparently tried to instll SP 3 4000
> times. I could not make this stuff up. I have changed the firewall,
> I am out of answers. By email, I keep being told to alter the
> registry--I am just not comfortable with that. WHY cant I just get
> it to stop installing? Is it that important to security? Thanks....

I assume you mean *Gateway* will not talk to you for less than $50?

Turn off automatic updates if you feel you can handle your own computer
updates and begin visiting http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ sometime
*after* the second Tuesday of every month.

Sounds like a bit of an exaggeration, in any case. 4000 times. *shrug*

Like it or not - Windows XP SP3 is something that you probably should
install if...

- You are currently running Windows XP (32bit).
- You care about keeping your machine current and running its best.
- You wish to continue running Windows XP for some indeterminate time into
the future.
- You want to free support if you have any trouble installing it (SP3 that
is.)

Service Pack 3 is mostly all of the updates released after SP2 and until the
release of SP3. You may think to yourself that you have been keeping your
PC updated - so you probably have all those updates - fact is, you'd be
incorrect. You may have all the publically released ones, but SP3 contains
1179 previously released updates - guaranteed you do not have them all
installed without it. ;-)

Most of the issues people have had with SP3 have to do with their particular
configuration or a problem caused by a third party change/mis-configuration
on their system - and almost all have a relatively simple fix.

Before starting, know where you can get help:
A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*
until April 2009...

Other than "Automatic Updates" or the Windows Update web page - how can you
get SP3?

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

Do a little reading - to ensure you are ready...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:

Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer« 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Did all that and have some issues you believe might be related to SP3?
Check these out:

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

Workarounds:
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx

[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
1. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
2.
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
3. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
4.
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
5. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to
Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... I suggest going straight to Method 3 of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
latest hardware drivers from your hardware vendors...

Good luck to you! You shouldn't need it, however, with just a little
planning. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

KDelphi

Re: Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x80
IT IS NOT AN EXAGERRATION--I can send you the event log, if you would like.
It may be a Trend Micro Virus Scan problem. But, you guys recommend them,
dont you? Why would I "make it up"? I dont know--boards still seem to be
pretty full of problems.

I did get a reply, which advised me to "do things to the registry" which
always results in a big mess, for me.

I will try to send the Event Log--it is a huge file, so be ready.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> Windows
> XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
> (Revised 06 May-08): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
>
> Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
> SP3... I suggest going straight to Method 3 of this article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
>
> Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
> latest hardware drivers from your hardware vendors...
>
> Good luck to you! You shouldn't need it, however, with just a little
> planning. ;-)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x80
<snip>

KDelphi wrote:
> IT IS NOT AN EXAGERRATION--I can send you the event log, if you
> would like. It may be a Trend Micro Virus Scan problem. But, you
> guys recommend them, dont you? Why would I "make it up"? I dont
> know--boards still seem to be pretty full of problems.
>
> I did get a reply, which advised me to "do things to the registry"
> which always results in a big mess, for me.
>
> I will try to send the Event Log--it is a huge file, so be ready.

You counted 4000?

Anyway - use this:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

KDelphi

Re: Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x80
NO--why the attitude?? The Trend Micro Virus Scan counted them at 4300--I set
it to keep track of any attempted changes. Well, there is not much point in
trying to get help here. You are obviously more interesteed in proving your
customsers are lying.

Seriously--my event log wants an email address. It is merely a repetition of
teh same attempt--but if you will give me an email, or instructions as to how
to send it to you--I will gladly do it. I SAID that it might be the virus
scan--I guess I'd be paranoid too, trying to get all the "service packs" (ie
mistakes) to work for people.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> <snip>
>
> KDelphi wrote:
> > IT IS NOT AN EXAGERRATION--I can send you the event log, if you
> > would like. It may be a Trend Micro Virus Scan problem. But, you
> > guys recommend them, dont you? Why would I "make it up"? I dont
> > know--boards still seem to be pretty full of problems.
> >
> > I did get a reply, which advised me to "do things to the registry"
> > which always results in a big mess, for me.
> >
> > I will try to send the Event Log--it is a huge file, so be ready.

> You counted 4000?
>
> Anyway - use this:
> http://www.codeplex.com/aureset
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Jim

Re: Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x80
Repy inline
"KDelphi" <KDelphi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> IT IS NOT AN EXAGERRATION--I can send you the event log, if you would
> like.
> It may be a Trend Micro Virus Scan problem. But, you guys recommend them,
> dont you? Why would I "make it up"? I dont know--boards still seem to be
> pretty full of problems.
>
> I did get a reply, which advised me to "do things to the registry" which
> always results in a big mess, for me.

The "access denied" reflects a permissions problem in the registry. If you
did not temporarily disable Trend Micro, it could be the cause of your
problem because this program may look at registry changes as evidence of
malware.
My systems do not allow automatic updates thus I never see the problem of
4000 failed updates.
I obtained the CD and used it for installation of SP3. Before starting the
update, I disabled NOD32 and turned off the DSL modem.
Jim

> [...]

>> 3.
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
>> 4.
>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
>> 5. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to
>> Windows
>> XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based
>> computer
>> (Revised 06 May-08): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372
>>
>> Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
>> SP3... I suggest going straight to Method 3 of this article:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
>>
>> Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing
>> the
>> latest hardware drivers from your hardware vendors...
>>
>> Good luck to you! You shouldn't need it, however, with just a little

Harry Johnston [MVP]

KDelphi wrote:

> NO--why the attitude?? The Trend Micro Virus Scan counted them at 4300--I set
> it to keep track of any attempted changes. Well, there is not much point in
> trying to get help here. You are obviously more interesteed in proving your
> customsers are lying.

Are you under the impression that we are Microsoft employees? This is a
volunteer newsgroup.

I very much doubt that there were 4300 separate attempts to install SP3. Trend
may be recording each separate action the SP3 installer is taking, perhaps? Or
each time it is blocking something the installer needs to do? If you post some
of the text we may be able to get a better idea of what is going on.

In any case, you almost certainly need to disable (or perhaps even uninstall)
Trend before starting the SP3 installation.

Harry.