XP SP3 install keeps failing

rvriet

XP SP3 install keeps failing
hi all,

I am trying to install XP SP3 but it has failed many times now with error
0x8007F0F4 and saying I need to try to install again.

So I went to the Update Center, downloaded the update manually and tried to
install from this downloaded file.

Now it fails with a message saying it cannot install over RDP 6.0 MUI PACK
KB925877 and I should should uninstall this update, but this is an update
form January 2008!?!!?

Moreover, when I try to uninstall this, I get an error saying that uninstall
may cause hundreds of programs not to run anymore, so I dare not continue.

Can anyone help me please?

thanks

Ronald
Engel

RE: XP SP3 install keeps failing
Hello Ronald,

See <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949388> for possible help.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"rvriet" wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I am trying to install XP SP3 but it has failed many times now with error
> 0x8007F0F4 and saying I need to try to install again.
>
> So I went to the Update Center, downloaded the update manually and tried to
> install from this downloaded file.
>
> Now it fails with a message saying it cannot install over RDP 6.0 MUI PACK
> KB925877 and I should should uninstall this update, but this is an update
> form January 2008!?!!?
>
> Moreover, when I try to uninstall this, I get an error saying that uninstall
> may cause hundreds of programs not to run anymore, so I dare not continue.
>
> Can anyone help me please?
>
> thanks
>
> Ronald

Jim

"rvriet" <rvriet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> I am trying to install XP SP3 but it has failed many times now with error
> 0x8007F0F4 and saying I need to try to install again.
>
> So I went to the Update Center, downloaded the update manually and tried
> install from this downloaded file.
>
> Now it fails with a message saying it cannot install over RDP 6.0 MUI PACK
> KB925877 and I should should uninstall this update, but this is an update
> form January 2008!?!!?
>
> Moreover, when I try to uninstall this, I get an error saying that
> uninstall
> may cause hundreds of programs not to run anymore, so I dare not continue.
>
> Can anyone help me please?
>
> thanks
>
> Ronald

First of all, read the Help & Support article "Steps ti taje befire you
install Windows XP Service Pack 3" Article ID 950717 (dated May 21, 2008)
Page 6 of this document lists the most common error messages that you will
recieve.
Error 0x8007F0F4 translates to "STATUS_PREREQUISITE_FAILED". (Something
that must be present is missing. Or something is present that must not
be.). KB949388 displays potential resolutions. No matter how many times
you try to install SP3, unless you have resolved this problem, the
installation will fail.

The issue, as described on page 1 of KB950717, is that the released version
of SP3 cannot be installed if you have the KB925877 installed. This latter
update must be removed if you expect to install SP3.

My advice is to quit trying to install SP3.

Jim

rvriet

RE: XP SP3 install keeps failing
Thanks.

Basically that is a repeatr of the prerequisite, but I find it weird that
XP3 (July 12008) is incompatible with an update from January 2008 that was
downloaded by the automatic update itself!

Moreover, I find it EXTREMELY scary that uninstalling says that hundreds of
programs may no longer work.

I need to get me a larger hard disk anyway, so I guess I will wait with the
install of XP3 until then: get a Ghost copy or something similar on the new
hard disk, then
install on the new one, so if there are problems, I can just redo the Ghost
copy.

Does that sound as sensible to y'all as it does to me?

Ronald
"Engel" wrote:

> Hello Ronald,
>
> See <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949388> for possible help.
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ǝиçεl
> -=-

Engel

RE: XP SP3 install keeps failing
Hi Ronald,

Where to get help -

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (All Languages)

<http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131>

Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3). This support for SP3 is valid
until April 14, 2009.

For more information about this policy, visit the Windows XP Support
Lifecycle page located at

<http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223> . Chat and e-mail support
is available only in the United States and Canada. For all other Windows XP
issues, visit the Help and Support site at

<http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173> , and then choose
your product.

US:
<http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131>

CA:
<http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&prid=11273&gprid=522131>

UK:
<http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-uk&prid=11273&gprid=522131>

AU:
<http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-au&prid=11273&gprid=522131>

Other:
<http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173>
select Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3
-=-

"rvriet" wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Basically that is a repeatr of the prerequisite, but I find it weird that
> XP3 (July 12008) is incompatible with an update from January 2008 that was
> downloaded by the automatic update itself!
>
> Moreover, I find it EXTREMELY scary that uninstalling says that hundreds of
> programs may no longer work.
>
> I need to get me a larger hard disk anyway, so I guess I will wait with the
> install of XP3 until then: get a Ghost copy or something similar on the new
> hard disk, then
> install on the new one, so if there are problems, I can just redo the Ghost
> copy.
>
> Does that sound as sensible to y'all as it does to me?
>
> Ronald
> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello Ronald,
> >
> > See <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949388> for possible help.
> >
> > I hope this post is helpful.
> >
> > Let us know how it works ºut.
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> > Ǝиçεl
> > -=-

Jim

"Jim" <j.n@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "rvriet" <rvriet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to install XP SP3 but it has failed many times now with error
>> 0x8007F0F4 and saying I need to try to install again.
>>
>> So I went to the Update Center, downloaded the update manually and tried
>> install from this downloaded file.
>>
>> Now it fails with a message saying it cannot install over RDP 6.0 MUI
>> PACK
>> KB925877 and I should should uninstall this update, but this is an update
>> form January 2008!?!!?
>>
>> Moreover, when I try to uninstall this, I get an error saying that
>> uninstall
>> may cause hundreds of programs not to run anymore, so I dare not
>> continue.
>>
>> Can anyone help me please?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Ronald

> First of all, read the Help & Support article "Steps ti taje befire you
> install Windows XP Service Pack 3" Article ID 950717 (dated May 21, 2008)
> Page 6 of this document lists the most common error messages that you will
> recieve.

Miserable keyboard just sits there and lets me hit the wrong keys...
This should read: "Steps to take before you."
Jim
> Error 0x8007F0F4 translates to "STATUS_PREREQUISITE_FAILED". (Something
> that must be present is missing. Or something is present that must not
> be.). KB949388 displays potential resolutions. No matter how many times
> you try to install SP3, unless you have resolved this problem, the
> installation will fail.
>
> The issue, as described on page 1 of KB950717, is that the released
> version of SP3 cannot be installed if you have the KB925877 installed.
> This latter update must be removed if you expect to install SP3.
>
> My advice is to quit trying to install SP3.
>
> Jim

Re: XP SP3 install keeps failing
Windows XP Service Pack 3 installation fails with an error message, and the
following error is logged in the service pack installation log: "8007F0F4 -
STATUS_PREREQUISITE_FAILED":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949388

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

rvriet wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I am trying to install XP SP3 but it has failed many times now with error
> 0x8007F0F4 and saying I need to try to install again.
>
> So I went to the Update Center, downloaded the update manually and tried
> install from this downloaded file.
>
> Now it fails with a message saying it cannot install over RDP 6.0 MUI PACK
> KB925877 and I should should uninstall this update, but this is an update
> form January 2008!?!!?
>
> Moreover, when I try to uninstall this, I get an error saying that
> uninstall
> may cause hundreds of programs not to run anymore, so I dare not continue.
>
> Can anyone help me please?
>
> thanks
>
> Ronald

Re: XP SP3 install keeps failing