RE: Windows XP Automatic Update Restart Hangs

riwayanto

"Karl Uppiano" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP/SP3 on an Intel Intel D945GCCR Desktop Board. This
> computer runs continuously unattended gathering weather data.
>
> Periodically following an automatic Windows Update that requires a restart,
> the computer will hang on the Windows shutdown phase, as if it is waiting
> for the system to come out of the screen saver/monitor shutdown mode. No one
> is logged in. If I move the mouse or strike any key, the monitor turns on,
> Windows finishes shutting down and restarts.
>
> I want the updates to install automatically and restart if necessary. Is
> there any way to prevent this computer from hanging on restart and losing
> weather data?

Karl Uppiano

"riwayanto" <riwayanto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Karl Uppiano" wrote:
>
>> I am running Windows XP/SP3 on an Intel Intel D945GCCR Desktop Board.
>> This
>> computer runs continuously unattended gathering weather data.
>>
>> Periodically following an automatic Windows Update that requires a
>> restart,
>> the computer will hang on the Windows shutdown phase, as if it is waiting
>> for the system to come out of the screen saver/monitor shutdown mode. No
>> one
>> is logged in. If I move the mouse or strike any key, the monitor turns
>> on,
>> Windows finishes shutting down and restarts.
>>
>> I want the updates to install automatically and restart if necessary. Is
>> there any way to prevent this computer from hanging on restart and losing
>> weather data?

Nudge... I take it no one else is having this problem then? It doesn't have
to be specifically on the Intel D945GCCR Desktop Board. I just included that
information so that if there were questions about hardware, they would be
partially answered.

I am using the stock on-board video adapter, on-board LAN adapter, 1GB RAM,
Celeron D processor, and a 13GB HDD that I had lying around. I can check on
the BIOS revision if anybody cares. I deliberately did not build a high-end
comp for this weather data acquision application. It is more than adequate
as-is.

Rob

Re: Windows XP Automatic Update Restart Hangs
Hi Karl,

You not the only one. We have exactly the same problem with 50+ pc's.

Haven't found a solutions yet (

GtzR

"Karl Uppiano" wrote:

> "riwayanto" <riwayanto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Karl Uppiano" wrote:
> >
> >> I am running Windows XP/SP3 on an Intel Intel D945GCCR Desktop Board.
> >> This
> >> computer runs continuously unattended gathering weather data.
> >>
> >> Periodically following an automatic Windows Update that requires a
> >> restart,
> >> the computer will hang on the Windows shutdown phase, as if it is waiting
> >> for the system to come out of the screen saver/monitor shutdown mode. No
> >> one
> >> is logged in. If I move the mouse or strike any key, the monitor turns
> >> on,
> >> Windows finishes shutting down and restarts.
> >>
> >> I want the updates to install automatically and restart if necessary. Is
> >> there any way to prevent this computer from hanging on restart and losing
> >> weather data?

> Nudge... I take it no one else is having this problem then? It doesn't have
> to be specifically on the Intel D945GCCR Desktop Board. I just included that
> information so that if there were questions about hardware, they would be
> partially answered.
>
> I am using the stock on-board video adapter, on-board LAN adapter, 1GB RAM,
> Celeron D processor, and a 13GB HDD that I had lying around. I can check on
> the BIOS revision if anybody cares. I deliberately did not build a high-end
> comp for this weather data acquision application. It is more than adequate
> as-is.

Longfingaz

Re: Windows XP Automatic Update Restart Hangs
Guys, I have the same problem too. It happens if I use the Shutdown -i
command as well. I have to shake the mouse or hit a keystroke. I have about
25 servers on KVM's that this happens too. Various KVM's. I posted the
question on Experts Exchange and Ill see if anyone replies. Not fun at 3am
when your phone goes balistic with a bunch of text messages from your monitor
sever that things are down!!!! Thanks M$.

Experts Exchange Link for the question
http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._23883381.html

"Rob" wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> You not the only one. We have exactly the same problem with 50+ pc's.
>
> Haven't found a solutions yet (
>
> GtzR
>

> "Karl Uppiano" wrote:
>

> > "riwayanto" <riwayanto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > Nudge... I take it no one else is having this problem then? It doesn't have
> > to be specifically on the Intel D945GCCR Desktop Board. I just included that
> > information so that if there were questions about hardware, they would be
> > partially answered.
> >
> > I am using the stock on-board video adapter, on-board LAN adapter, 1GB RAM,
> > Celeron D processor, and a 13GB HDD that I had lying around. I can check on
> > the BIOS revision if anybody cares. I deliberately did not build a high-end
> > comp for this weather data acquision application. It is more than adequate
> > as-is.

Longfingaz

Re: Windows XP Automatic Update Restart Hangs
Gotta love google, Heres the answer fellas

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938204/en-us

"Longfingaz" wrote:

> Guys, I have the same problem too. It happens if I use the Shutdown -i
> command as well. I have to shake the mouse or hit a keystroke. I have about
> 25 servers on KVM's that this happens too. Various KVM's. I posted the
> question on Experts Exchange and Ill see if anyone replies. Not fun at 3am
> when your phone goes balistic with a bunch of text messages from your monitor
> sever that things are down!!!! Thanks M$.
>
> Experts Exchange Link for the question
> http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._23883381.html
>

> "Rob" wrote:
>
> > Hi Karl,
> >
> > You not the only one. We have exactly the same problem with 50+ pc's.
> >
> > Haven't found a solutions yet (
> >
> > GtzR
> >

> > "Karl Uppiano" wrote:
> >

> > > "riwayanto" <riwayanto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > Nudge... I take it no one else is having this problem then? It doesn't have
> > > to be specifically on the Intel D945GCCR Desktop Board. I just included that
> > > information so that if there were questions about hardware, they would be
> > > partially answered.
> > >
> > > I am using the stock on-board video adapter, on-board LAN adapter, 1GB RAM,
> > > Celeron D processor, and a 13GB HDD that I had lying around. I can check on
> > > the BIOS revision if anybody cares. I deliberately did not build a high-end
> > > comp for this weather data acquision application. It is more than adequate
> > > as-is.

Karl Uppiano

"Longfingaz" <Longfingaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Gotta love google, Heres the answer fellas

Wow! Thanks, I'll try that. However, I googled the daylights out of this
before posting here. I must not have stumbled on the right search string.
What search string did you use?

Elliott

Re: Windows XP Automatic Update Restart Hangs
I tried the Googled solution mentioned above and I still have a problem
restarting. Thing is, my problem seems to be unrelated to Automatic Update
restarts. When I simply select Restart my computer hangs at the shutdown
screen. However, I can still shut down my computer fine - only Restart shows
any issues. Any thoughts?

"Karl Uppiano" wrote:

> "Longfingaz" <Longfingaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gotta love google, Heres the answer fellas

> Wow! Thanks, I'll try that. However, I googled the daylights out of this
> before posting here. I must not have stumbled on the right search string.
> What search string did you use?

TaurArian

Re: Windows XP Automatic Update Restart Hangs

Elliott, perhaps you should make your own posting in the WinXP General NG
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ewsgroups.mspx

Elliott wrote:
:: I tried the Googled solution mentioned above and I still have a
:: problem restarting. Thing is, my problem seems to be unrelated to
:: Automatic Update restarts. When I simply select Restart my computer
:: hangs at the shutdown screen. However, I can still shut down my
:: computer fine - only Restart shows any issues. Any thoughts?
::
:: "Karl Uppiano" wrote:
::
:::
:::
::: "Longfingaz" <Longfingaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
::: news:207AAA9F-81FC-4E33-8C9B-7874BB0C18DD@microsoft.com...
:::: Gotta love google, Heres the answer fellas
::::