Win XP SP3 cancelling question

ozegirl

Win XP SP3 cancelling question
I found my husband had downloaded and was installing the XP SP3 update. I
didn't want him to do this, so I hit the cancel button - however for some
time it continued installing files, though it said cancelling. Eventually it
said something about changing registry entries, then it said "performing
clean up" - this was all under a main heading of "finishing installation". It
took a very long time to do this section. I am confident that the cancel
request went through because on the main automatic updates windows it said
cancelling updates, and on both that window and the installation window all
buttons (finish, cancel, etc) were greyed out. I now have a screen that says
installation finished and to restart the computer for changes to take effect.

Would it be best to:

Restart the computer...or
perform a system restore first and then restart the computer......and
in either case should I delete any temporary files first before restarting
or restoring?

I'm a bit concerned as to whether the installation has been fully reversed
and don't want to end up with a half-baked windows that might prevent the
computer from booting . advice please.
ozegirl

RE: Win XP SP3 cancelling question
Too late - it looks like it completed the installation anyway.

"ozegirl" wrote:

> I found my husband had downloaded and was installing the XP SP3 update. I
> didn't want him to do this, so I hit the cancel button - however for some
> time it continued installing files, though it said cancelling. Eventually it
> said something about changing registry entries, then it said "performing
> clean up" - this was all under a main heading of "finishing installation". It
> took a very long time to do this section. I am confident that the cancel
> request went through because on the main automatic updates windows it said
> cancelling updates, and on both that window and the installation window all
> buttons (finish, cancel, etc) were greyed out. I now have a screen that says
> installation finished and to restart the computer for changes to take effect.
>
> Would it be best to:
>
> Restart the computer...or
> perform a system restore first and then restart the computer......and
> in either case should I delete any temporary files first before restarting
> or restoring?
>
> I'm a bit concerned as to whether the installation has been fully reversed
> and don't want to end up with a half-baked windows that might prevent the
> computer from booting . advice please.

Alan

Re: Win XP SP3 cancelling question
So is your PC running okay with SP3??

Alan

"ozegirl" <ozegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Too late - it looks like it completed the installation anyway.
>
> "ozegirl" wrote:
>
>> I found my husband had downloaded and was installing the XP SP3 update. I
>> didn't want him to do this, so I hit the cancel button - however for some
>> time it continued installing files, though it said cancelling. Eventually
>> it
>> said something about changing registry entries, then it said "performing
>> clean up" - this was all under a main heading of "finishing
>> installation". It
>> took a very long time to do this section. I am confident that the cancel
>> request went through because on the main automatic updates windows it
>> said
>> cancelling updates, and on both that window and the installation window
>> all
>> buttons (finish, cancel, etc) were greyed out. I now have a screen that
>> says
>> installation finished and to restart the computer for changes to take
>> effect.
>>
>> Would it be best to:
>>
>> Restart the computer...or
>> perform a system restore first and then restart the computer......and
>> in either case should I delete any temporary files first before
>> restarting
>> or restoring?
>>
>> I'm a bit concerned as to whether the installation has been fully
>> reversed
>> and don't want to end up with a half-baked windows that might prevent the
>> computer from booting . advice please.

ozegirl

Re: Win XP SP3 cancelling question
It's a bit early to tell 100%, however it seems to be doing everyday tasks
OK. I had a moment of panic when I opened Printers & Faxes and there were
none listed at all, but on restarting the computer they reappeared. My main
concern was whether if it had installed, it had installed properly
considering I hit the cancel button about 85% of the way through. It would
appear that it didn't cancel the installation, I'm just hoping now that it
did install properly instead. :-)

"Alan" wrote:

> So is your PC running okay with SP3??
>
> Alan
>
> "ozegirl" <ozegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Too late - it looks like it completed the installation anyway.
> >
> > "ozegirl" wrote:
> >
> >> I found my husband had downloaded and was installing the XP SP3 update. I
> >> didn't want him to do this, so I hit the cancel button - however for some
> >> time it continued installing files, though it said cancelling. Eventually
> >> it
> >> said something about changing registry entries, then it said "performing
> >> clean up" - this was all under a main heading of "finishing
> >> installation". It
> >> took a very long time to do this section. I am confident that the cancel
> >> request went through because on the main automatic updates windows it
> >> said
> >> cancelling updates, and on both that window and the installation window
> >> all
> >> buttons (finish, cancel, etc) were greyed out. I now have a screen that
> >> says
> >> installation finished and to restart the computer for changes to take
> >> effect.
> >>
> >> Would it be best to:
> >>
> >> Restart the computer...or
> >> perform a system restore first and then restart the computer......and
> >> in either case should I delete any temporary files first before
> >> restarting
> >> or restoring?
> >>
> >> I'm a bit concerned as to whether the installation has been fully
> >> reversed
> >> and don't want to end up with a half-baked windows that might prevent the
> >> computer from booting . advice please.

Re: Win XP SP3 cancelling question
WinXP SP3 is fully uninstallable, should the need arise:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

ozegirl wrote:
> It's a bit early to tell 100%, however it seems to be doing everyday tasks
> OK. I had a moment of panic when I opened Printers & Faxes and there were
> none listed at all, but on restarting the computer they reappeared. My
> main
> concern was whether if it had installed, it had installed properly
> considering I hit the cancel button about 85% of the way through. It would
> appear that it didn't cancel the installation, I'm just hoping now that it
> did install properly instead. :-)
>
> "Alan" wrote:
>
>> So is your PC running okay with SP3??
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> "ozegirl" <ozegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Too late - it looks like it completed the installation anyway.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

ozegirl wrote:

> It's a bit early to tell 100%, however it seems to be doing everyday tasks
> OK. I had a moment of panic when I opened Printers & Faxes and there were
> none listed at all, but on restarting the computer they reappeared. My main
> concern was whether if it had installed, it had installed properly
> considering I hit the cancel button about 85% of the way through. It would
> appear that it didn't cancel the installation, I'm just hoping now that it
> did install properly instead. :-)

If in doubt, I'd suggest uninstalling it and then reinstalling. Make sure you
have an external backup of all your files first in case something has gone wrong.

Harry.
ozegirl

Re: Win XP SP3 cancelling question

With respect to this computer, it seems OK - I think the installation must
have completed properly and that my attempt to cancel was not acted on.

However I have a problem with my son's computer. It appears that he got the
sp3 update and started installing it but had not switched off the spyware
that warns against registry changes - nevertheless he allowed all changes bar
one - for some reason best known to himself. Over a couple of days he got a
cmd prompt box that ran each time on start up followed by prompts for more
registry changes. When he opened messenger, he saw a progress bar that said
"finalising installation" but it appeared to stall and he got sick of waiting
so turned the computer off.
I'm guessing he hasn't installed sp3 correctly. Now when he starts up he
can't get past the windows splash logo to the log on screen, however it will
start in safe mode. Sp3 is shown in add/remove programs and in safe mode on
the desktop as sp3. Would a system restore be safe to try given that I don't
know if the installation finished - he has restarted the computer several
times since but only in safe mode, it won't go into normal. Or would it be
better to try unintall from add/remove programs?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> WinXP SP3 is fully uninstallable, should the need arise:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> ozegirl wrote:
> > It's a bit early to tell 100%, however it seems to be doing everyday tasks
> > OK. I had a moment of panic when I opened Printers & Faxes and there were
> > none listed at all, but on restarting the computer they reappeared. My
> > main
> > concern was whether if it had installed, it had installed properly
> > considering I hit the cancel button about 85% of the way through. It would
> > appear that it didn't cancel the installation, I'm just hoping now that it
> > did install properly instead. :-)
> >
> > "Alan" wrote:
> >
> >> So is your PC running okay with SP3??
> >>
> >> Alan

Re: Win XP SP3 cancelling question
Do NOT use System Restore, please! It is not an "undo" utility.

If you can boot into Safe Mode and successfully uninstall WinXP SP3 via
Add/Remove Programs...and reboot *twice* afterwards, please do so.

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Whether you were able to uninstall WinXP SP3 or not, I'd strongly recommend
opening a free support incident about this. See my previous reply. If
you )or another family member or friend) is technically inclined, see [1]
below, but I think you'd be better off getting help from MS Support instead.

==================
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356

ozegirl wrote:
> [...]

>> "Windows
>> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> ozegirl wrote:
>>> It's a bit early to tell 100%, however it seems to be doing everyday
>>> tasks
>>> OK. I had a moment of panic when I opened Printers & Faxes and there
>>> were
>>> none listed at all, but on restarting the computer they reappeared. My
>>> main
>>> concern was whether if it had installed, it had installed properly
>>> considering I hit the cancel button about 85% of the way through. It
>>> would
>>> appear that it didn't cancel the installation, I'm just hoping now that

I'm a bit confused as the article on how to remove sp3 gives system restore
as the 3rd method - so are you saying not to use it at all or only after
trying the other method first? I understand that there could be a problem in
running system restore if the sp3 installation hasn't finished, as it will
restore the system, but then run those files that are pending to be run on a
reboot (which perhaps haven't run as a proper reboot into normal mode hasn't
occurred, only to safe mode). However, if the installation was stopped before
finished, would the add/remove work properly anyway? If I try add/remove and
that doesn't work, should I try system restore then? And if I do a system
restore and it boots into normal mode, should I perhaps then before rebooting
a second time perform another system restore so that if pending files ran and
made changes, these could be undone with an earlier system restore which
would then hopefully boot to a good configuration but without running those
files again - or is this just a disaster in the making?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> >> "Windows
> >> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> WinXP SP3 is fully uninstallable, should the need arise:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
> >>
> >> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> >> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> >> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> >> "Windows
> >> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

You're putting an awful lot of carts before that horse, my dear.

> ...If I try
> add/remove and that doesn't work, should I try system restore then?

Personally & professionally speaking, I would not use System Restore if
uninstalling WinXP SP3 via Add/Remove Programs isn't successful.

Again, I urge you to open a free support incident instead of messing around
with this yourself.

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3