Windows Update for Vista

pearlz

Windows Update for Vista
Ok so I was wondering why is it when I use windows update in Vista and
download an update they still appear in windows update as if I had never
downloaded and installed them even though they appear in my install history?
Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
pearlz

RE: Windows Update for Vista
I got it fixed... found a post of mine I was looking for earlier.

"pearlz" wrote:

> Ok so I was wondering why is it when I use windows update in Vista and
> download an update they still appear in windows update as if I had never
> downloaded and installed them even though they appear in my install history?
> Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Rob

RE: Windows Update for Vista
How did you fix it? I am having the same problem.
Thanks,
Rob

"pearlz" wrote:

> I got it fixed... found a post of mine I was looking for earlier.
>
> "pearlz" wrote:
>
> > Ok so I was wondering why is it when I use windows update in Vista and
> > download an update they still appear in windows update as if I had never
> > downloaded and installed them even though they appear in my install history?
> > Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

MowGreen [MVP]

Re: Windows Update for Vista
The fix was posted by fellow MVP Taurarian:

> If Windows Updates in Vista keeps offering same updates, the issue can occur
>> because of the corrupt content of the Software Distribution folder.
>>
>> Rename the Software Distribution folder try to access the Windows Update
>> site again.
>>
>> How to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in Vista -
>> 1. Stop the Windows Update service (make sure you are logged on as an
>> Administrator)
>>
>> Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative
>> Tools
>> Double-click Services
>> (Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)
>> Right-click the Windows Update service and click Stop.
>>
>> 2. Click Start, type %windir% in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
>>
>> Locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.
>>
>> 3. Start the Windows Update service
>>
>> Start button || Control Panel ||System and Maintenance ||Administrative
>> Tools
>> Double-click Services
>> (Provide the Administrator password or confirmation if prompted to do so.)
>> Right-click the Windows Update service and click Start.
>>
>> This procedure will erase your history on the Windows Update Site. Not
>> important.
>>
>> Reboot - without rebooting, the new folder cannot be successfully created.
>>
>> You can always check which updates are installed on your computer by -
>> Start button || Control Panel || Programs
>> Under Programs and Features - click View installed updates.
>>

>> --
>>
>> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
>> http://taurarian.mvps.org

Corruption in the Software Distribution folder is caused by having the
installed antivirus|security software scanning 'locked' files [ files
that are being used ]:

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten