xp sp3

DaveC

xp sp3
Why can't I get the update page? I try to open the the link on the xp
slutions page and it doesn't work. Same for teck support link. What's up?
Shenan Stanley

Re: xp sp3
DaveC wrote:
> Why can't I get the update page? I try to open the the link on the
> xp slutions page and it doesn't work. Same for teck support link.
> What's up?

Not sure of any specifics here...

Are you trying to visit the web page:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
??

Do you want Windows XP SP3 to install on one or more systems?

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*
until April 2009...

Other than "Automatic Updates" or the Windows Update web page - how can you
get SP3?
Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
and Developers

Do a little reading - to ensure you are ready...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:
Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer« 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Did all that and have some issues you believe might be related to SP3?
Check these out:
It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

Workarounds:
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
1. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
2.
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
3. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
4.
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...leId=9084 418
5. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to
Windows
XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a non-Intel-processor-based computer
(Revised 06 May-08): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... I suggest going straigh to Method 3 of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
latest hardware drivers from your hardware vendors...

Good luck to you! You shouldn't need it, however, with just a little
planning. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: xp sp3
Your post & subject are confusing: Is WinXP SP3 installed or are you trying
to install it?