SP3 Install

rusty7010

SP3 Install
I have Windows XP Home Edition. I want to install SP3. When I start, it tells
me to backup my system. I am so clueless about computers that I don't know
how to backup my system. I have all the original Window system cds, but I
keep putting off this install because I don't know what they mean, "backup my
system" and I don't know how to do it. Also, why do they request that you do
a backup in the first place? Thanks.
Shenan Stanley

Re: SP3 Install
rusty7010 wrote:
> I have Windows XP Home Edition. I want to install SP3. When I
> start, it tells me to backup my system. I am so clueless about
> computers that I don't know how to backup my system. I have all the
> original Window system cds, but I keep putting off this install
> because I don't know what they mean, "backup my system" and I don't
> know how to do it. Also, why do they request that you do a backup
> in the first place?

Answering your *why* first...

You should be continuously backing up at least *your stuff*. Few things in
life give you the capability to have a complete backup standing by in case
of a disaster - so you literally lose nothing but time and it requires a
little effort to be back where you were before the disaster. Computer data
is one of those things that can be completely backed up and restored to the
state it was in before a problem occured. Not doing so is unwise at best.

It is a 'things can and do go wrong' preparation method. You make a copy of
your stuff on a seperate device in case the first device spontaneously
combusts (or the million other things that can go wrong up to that extreme
case.) Installing a service pack is *not* something to take lightly. You
are literally installing over 1100 patches at one time.

Depending on what you are doing, who you are, what you care about, etc -
backing up can have different meanings. You could simply purchase some
external media (blank CDs, blank DVDs, USB Thumb Drives, USB External Hard
Drives, space on a storage web page, use a GMAIL account, another computer
on a network, floppy diskettes, zip disks, etc...) and make a copy of every
file that is important to you. Pictures, documents, emails, contacts,
internet favorites/bookmarks, text files, scriptsd, databases, spreadsheets,
etc. It could be as simple as you occassionally dragging/dropping a copy
onto said media - or you could use some application to get a bit more 'task
oriented' about it - and even schedule it to happen periodically.

Here's some general information...

How To Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308422

Yes - you still need some sort of external media to store the results
on, but you could schedule the backup to occur when you are not around,
then burn the resultant data onto CD or DVD or something when you are
(while you do other things!)

Another option that seems to still be going strong:

Cobian Backup
http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

A lot of people have wondered about how to completely backup their system
so that they would not have to go through the trouble of a reinstall..
I'm going to voice my opinion here and say that it would be worthless to
do for MOST people. Unless you plan on periodically updating the image
backup of your system (remaking it) - then by the time you use it
(something goes wrong) - it will be so outdated as to be more trouble than
performing a full install of the operating system and all applications.

Having said my part against it, you can clone/backup your hard drive
completely using many methods - by far the simplest are using disk cloning
applications:

Symantec/Norton Ghost
http://snipurl.com/13e00

Acronis True Image
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

BootIt NG
http://terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Jim

Re: SP3 Install

"rusty7010" <rusty7010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP Home Edition. I want to install SP3. When I start, it
>tells
> me to backup my system. I am so clueless about computers that I don't know
> how to backup my system. I have all the original Window system cds, but I
> keep putting off this install because I don't know what they mean, "backup
> my
> system" and I don't know how to do it. Also, why do they request that you
> do
> a backup in the first place? Thanks.

The message tells you to create a backup of the system disk. This operation
creates a file which can be used to completely replace the current contents
of your system disk with the version that was in operation at the time of
the backup. I use Acronis True Image to create and restore such files.

The reason for creating such files is to protect the computer from the
possibility that something goes horribly wrong during the update. Prudent
people always try to determine what could go wrong and what steps need be
take to overcome such events. Therefore, prudent people always create
backups of critical disks on a regular basis. Critical disks are those
which contain information that is not easy to reconstitute or which take a
very long time to do so.

In my case, it takes about 15 minutes to restore a backup of the system disk
on this computer. In contrast, it takes a couple of days to rebuild it from
the installation disks.

Jim

rusty7010

Re: SP3 Install

"Jim" wrote:

> "rusty7010" <rusty7010@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Windows XP Home Edition. I want to install SP3. When I start, it
> >tells
> > me to backup my system. I am so clueless about computers that I don't know
> > how to backup my system. I have all the original Window system cds, but I
> > keep putting off this install because I don't know what they mean, "backup
> > my
> > system" and I don't know how to do it. Also, why do they request that you
> > do
> > a backup in the first place? Thanks.

> The message tells you to create a backup of the system disk. This operation
> creates a file which can be used to completely replace the current contents
> of your system disk with the version that was in operation at the time of
> the backup. I use Acronis True Image to create and restore such files.
>
> The reason for creating such files is to protect the computer from the
> possibility that something goes horribly wrong during the update. Prudent
> people always try to determine what could go wrong and what steps need be
> take to overcome such events. Therefore, prudent people always create
> backups of critical disks on a regular basis. Critical disks are those
> which contain information that is not easy to reconstitute or which take a
> very long time to do so.
>
> In my case, it takes about 15 minutes to restore a backup of the system disk
> on this computer. In contrast, it takes a couple of days to rebuild it from
> the installation disks.
>
> Jim
>

> Thanks Shenan and Jim for your replies. I am still somewhat confused. My son-in-law backed up some things for me when my hard drive was corrupted a few months ago. I bought the Seagate External Hard Drive for him to use and he backed up My Documents. Then he did his thing reinstalling, etc. (he is a computer and software engineer). After that I have had a hard time finding some of my files, but basically everything was ok. I am getting the dreaded BSOD now about once a day. I know this is bad, I think it is a driver problem. I am not sure. I just know that I need to install SP3, maybe that will help and also back up pretty much everything on the computer. I just now printed out my Robo Form data and all my email lists. I have alot of pictures but that was all backed up on the Seagate. Maybe I don't need to do anything else? I want to be prepared as possible because I just have this horrible feeling that things are not well in my Dell Dimension 4600. It is over four years old.

When I do get things backed up, I may take it to a Dell center for repair. Any advice, comments??? Thanks again.

> [...]

>> use and he backed up My Documents. Then he did his thing reinstalling,
>> etc. (he is a computer and software engineer). After that I have had a
>> hard time finding some of my files, but basically everything was ok. I am
>> getting the dreaded BSOD now about once a day. I know this is bad, I
>> think it is a driver problem. I am not sure. I just know that I need to
>> install SP3, maybe that will help and also back up pretty much everything
>> on the computer. I just now printed out my Robo Form data and all my
>> email lists. I have alot of pictures but that was all backed up on the
>> Seagate. Maybe I don't need to do anything else? I want to be prepared as
>> possible because I just have this horrible feeling that things are not
>> well in my Dell Dimension 4600. It is over four years old.

> When I do get things backed up, I may take it to a Dell center for repair.

Do not install SP3 until you have solved your other problem. SP3 will not
fix driver problems; instead, it may make them worse.
As for the Seagate drive, did he use a real backup program or did he merely
copy the folders from one drive to the other? Either scheme can be
successful, but you need to know how he did it.
Jim