Not possible to use Windows Update with ISP (China)

MickeM

Not possible to use Windows Update with ISP (China)
I have tried running Windows Update on Windows home server, Windows Vista and
Windows XP but all of them failed.

When I do a trace with VisualRoute the program tells me that there is most
likely a firewall between me and the windows update server... I have not
added any firewall....

When checking the log file I can see the error code: 0x80072efd. I have
tried everything in the knowledge base for this error code but still no luck.

Is there an alternative Windows update server that can be used? One that is
not blocked by some strange firewall??

Re: Not possible to use Windows Update with ISP (China)
You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows
Update or Microsoft Update to install updates:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

The above KB mentions things besides a firewall.
====================================

Support for Windows Update:

installing security updates.

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

MickeM wrote:
> I have tried running Windows Update on Windows home server, Windows Vista
> and Windows XP but all of them failed.
>
> When I do a trace with VisualRoute the program tells me that there is most
> likely a firewall between me and the windows update server... I have not
> added any firewall....
>
> When checking the log file I can see the error code: 0x80072efd. I have
> tried everything in the knowledge base for this error code but still no
> luck.
>
> Is there an alternative Windows update server that can be used? One that
> is
> not blocked by some strange firewall??

MickeM

Re: Not possible to use Windows Update with ISP (China)
Hi!

I tried all of the suggestion for the kb but nothing worked... I have now
found 2 workarounds... Use my own VPN tunnel or use a free proxy on the web

//Micke