KB958644 causing System to hang after reboot

Frenchy

KB958644 causing System to hang after reboot
I have now installed this security update 4 times and each time it hangs
the computer at the restart.

I have rolled back using Rollback Rx software and tried again from a
further back point and again each time system freezes.

Vista Ultimate x64 and all other programs running OK. Have deleted TEMP
folder and tried again, same hang.

Have run CHKDSK (due to numerous button reboots) and all is clean

Have the update hidden until MS solves this problem. I have reported
through MS E-Mail help, but that will be days away (am in NZ and Holiday
weekend)

Looks like a bunch of other people have lots of different problems with
this update.

I have tried installing it from the shutdown button and direct from
Windows update. Same Hang

Frenchy
TaurArian

Re: KB958644 causing System to hang after reboot
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958644
See: How to obtain help and support for this security update

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

"Frenchy" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
>I have now installed this security update 4 times and each time it hangs
>the computer at the restart.
>
> I have rolled back using Rollback Rx software and tried again from a
> further back point and again each time system freezes.
>
> Vista Ultimate x64 and all other programs running OK. Have deleted TEMP
> folder and tried again, same hang.
>
> Have run CHKDSK (due to numerous button reboots) and all is clean
>
> Have the update hidden until MS solves this problem. I have reported
> through MS E-Mail help, but that will be days away (am in NZ and Holiday
> weekend)
>
> Looks like a bunch of other people have lots of different problems with
> this update.
>
> I have tried installing it from the shutdown button and direct from
> Windows update. Same Hang
>
> Frenchy

Frenchy

TaurArian wrote:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958644
> See: How to obtain help and support for this security update

That isn't a lot of help. I had said I have already posted this to the
MS E-Mail help. Plus the URL you give, gives not one iota of help as to
why this Update is causing problems!

Frenchy
Ottmar Freudenberger

"Frenchy" <invalid@invalid.com> schrieb:
> TaurArian wrote:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958644
>> See: How to obtain help and support for this security update
>>

> That isn't a lot of help. I had said I have already posted this to the
> MS E-Mail help. Plus the URL you give, gives not one iota of help as to
> why this Update is causing problems!

Sure, you should open a call/support case with MS Support, which should be
free of charge.

Bye,
Freudi
Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]

Re: KB958644 causing System to hang after reboot
And there are thousands and thousands and truly thousands in the Patch
Management listserve with no issues.

Can you also try in safe more?

What third party security software do you have installed?

Frenchy wrote:
> I have now installed this security update 4 times and each time it hangs
> the computer at the restart.
>
> I have rolled back using Rollback Rx software and tried again from a
> further back point and again each time system freezes.
>
> Vista Ultimate x64 and all other programs running OK. Have deleted TEMP
> folder and tried again, same hang.
>
> Have run CHKDSK (due to numerous button reboots) and all is clean
>
> Have the update hidden until MS solves this problem. I have reported
> through MS E-Mail help, but that will be days away (am in NZ and Holiday
> weekend)
>
> Looks like a bunch of other people have lots of different problems with
> this update.
>
> I have tried installing it from the shutdown button and direct from
> Windows update. Same Hang
>
> Frenchy

Frenchy

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
> And there are thousands and thousands and truly thousands in the Patch
> Management listserve with no issues.
>
> Can you also try in safe more?
>
> What third party security software do you have installed?

Thanks, I appreciate that, I actually patched two other Vista computers
here at home with no hassles. One x86, one x64. I was looking for
guidelines as to why this problem on this machine.

I have ESET Smart Security Suite (NOD32) as well as Winpatrol. Tomorrow
I will try in Safe mode.

There are WARNING messages in Admin Events that

"Windows Servicing identified that package KB958644(Security Update) is
not applicable for this system"

Not sure why that is there, as Windows offers it as a Patch? Event ID 4374

Frenchy

> TaurArian wrote:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958644
>> See: How to obtain help and support for this security update
>>

> That isn't a lot of help. I had said I have already posted this to the MS
> E-Mail help. Plus the URL you give, gives not one iota of help as to why
> this Update is causing problems!
>
> Frenchy

Then perhaps you could give some information for example was there any error
codes associated with the failed update, did you check the windowsupdate.log
for any clues.

Otherwise you'll have to wait for support to get back to you.

Susan Bradley

Frenchy wrote:
> Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
>> And there are thousands and thousands and truly thousands in the Patch
>> Management listserve with no issues.
>>
>> Can you also try in safe more?
>>
>> What third party security software do you have installed?

> Thanks, I appreciate that, I actually patched two other Vista computers
> here at home with no hassles. One x86, one x64. I was looking for
> guidelines as to why this problem on this machine.
>
> I have ESET Smart Security Suite (NOD32) as well as Winpatrol. Tomorrow
> I will try in Safe mode.
>
> There are WARNING messages in Admin Events that
>
> "Windows Servicing identified that package KB958644(Security Update) is
> not applicable for this system"
>
> Not sure why that is there, as Windows offers it as a Patch? Event ID 4374
>
> Frenchy
>>
>> Frenchy wrote:
>>> I have now installed this security update 4 times and each time it
>>> hangs the computer at the restart.
>>>
>>> I have rolled back using Rollback Rx software and tried again from a
>>> further back point and again each time system freezes.
>>>
>>> Vista Ultimate x64 and all other programs running OK. Have deleted
>>> TEMP folder and tried again, same hang.
>>>
>>> Have run CHKDSK (due to numerous button reboots) and all is clean
>>>
>>> Have the update hidden until MS solves this problem. I have reported
>>> through MS E-Mail help, but that will be days away (am in NZ and
>>> Holiday weekend)
>>>
>>> Looks like a bunch of other people have lots of different problems
>>> with this update.
>>>
>>> I have tried installing it from the shutdown button and direct from
>>> Windows update. Same Hang
>>>
>>> Frenchy

What language is this OS?
Susan Bradley

Re: KB958644 causing System to hang after reboot
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Try running that on it first?

Susan Bradley wrote:
> Frenchy wrote:
>> Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
>>> And there are thousands and thousands and truly thousands in the
>>> Patch Management listserve with no issues.
>>>
>>> Can you also try in safe more?
>>>
>>> What third party security software do you have installed?

>> Thanks, I appreciate that, I actually patched two other Vista
>> computers here at home with no hassles. One x86, one x64. I was
>> looking for guidelines as to why this problem on this machine.
>>
>> I have ESET Smart Security Suite (NOD32) as well as Winpatrol.
>> Tomorrow I will try in Safe mode.
>>
>> There are WARNING messages in Admin Events that
>>
>> "Windows Servicing identified that package KB958644(Security Update)
>> is not applicable for this system"
>>
>> Not sure why that is there, as Windows offers it as a Patch? Event ID
>> 4374
>>
>> Frenchy

> What language is this OS?

Frenchy

Susan Bradley wrote:
> Frenchy wrote:
>> Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
>>> And there are thousands and thousands and truly thousands in the
>>> Patch Management listserve with no issues.
>>>
>>> Can you also try in safe more?
>>>
>>> What third party security software do you have installed?

>> Thanks, I appreciate that, I actually patched two other Vista
>> computers here at home with no hassles. One x86, one x64. I was
>> looking for guidelines as to why this problem on this machine.
>>
>> I have ESET Smart Security Suite (NOD32) as well as Winpatrol.
>> Tomorrow I will try in Safe mode.
>>
>> There are WARNING messages in Admin Events that
>>
>> "Windows Servicing identified that package KB958644(Security Update)
>> is not applicable for this system"
>>
>> Not sure why that is there, as Windows offers it as a Patch? Event ID
>> 4374
>>
>> Frenchy

> What language is this OS?

English