KB958644 keeps kicking me off line.

scstocks

KB958644 keeps kicking me off line.
Is anyone else having trouble with XP's latest critical service patch,
KB958644 ?

Issue 1.

On my wireless laptop last night, a Dell 1505 running XP media SP3, as soon
as I downloaded the patch and rebooted, my intel wireless pro icon went
clear, from a normal operating green, and when I put my cursor over it, it
said that a different program was controlling the intel wireless pro adapter.
I have never seen that before or since, and I use that laptop every night.
If I hadn't just downloaded the patch, I would have been more concerned. It
got on-line fine, and the next time I booted, the normal green intel wireless
icon appeared, without the wierd explanation. That laptop seems to be
running ok today.

Issue II.

This morning when I got on my main machine, a 4 monitor trading machine
running win xp64, SP II, fully patched, I got on line fine like I do every
day. Then the patch KB958644 downloaded from automatic updates and I choose
to install it, rebooted and I could not get on-line. I repaired the
connection from control panel/networking, and I got on once, albeit a slow
broken up connection that lasted a minute or so, then no connection at all.

I run an ATI 4 monitor MV2400 graphic card, 8 gig DDR800 Ram, Dual Core
Intel 930 3 gig processor, and run AVAST antivirus, and spybot. This machine
has been rock solid and is maybe a year old, give or take several months.

I rebooted a second time, and could not get on again, including the windows
update site. I tried rebooting several times and never got on again. Each
time I would go into the control panel/networking and repair my connection.
It seemed like it was successful repairing, but I never got online again, not
even the microsoft update site.

I did a complete system restore from yesterday, rebooted, and my machine was
flying once again. I reinstalled the patch, rebooted, and never got on line
once. I repeated this several times.

Is anyone else having these problems? I had some xp issues with service pack
III on one of my 5 machines, but nothing like this from a critical update,
ever.

Does anyone know what this update is supposed to address? I am guessing it
messes with the internet connection somehow, but I am not current on this
update.

Thanks for any help.

scstocks

RE: KB958644 keeps kicking me off line.
On issue 1, the laptop, it actually said "A different program is controlling
the wireless adapter."

On issue II, my main machine running win xp64 SPII, the KB958644 patch was
the only update it was doing. The machine was fully updated to that point
and running great. Each time I restored the machine to yesterday's restore
point, it gets on line fine. It will not get on line once the patch is
installed. I run a cable modem with a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router, but I
run this main machine hard cabled to the WRT54GS.

Thanks for any help.

"scstocks" wrote:

> Is anyone else having trouble with XP's latest critical service patch,
> KB958644 ?
>
> Issue 1.
>
> On my wireless laptop last night, a Dell 1505 running XP media SP3, as soon
> as I downloaded the patch and rebooted, my intel wireless pro icon went
> clear, from a normal operating green, and when I put my cursor over it, it
> said that a different program was controlling the intel wireless pro adapter.
> I have never seen that before or since, and I use that laptop every night.
> If I hadn't just downloaded the patch, I would have been more concerned. It
> got on-line fine, and the next time I booted, the normal green intel wireless
> icon appeared, without the wierd explanation. That laptop seems to be
> running ok today.
>

> Issue II.
>
> This morning when I got on my main machine, a 4 monitor trading machine
> running win xp64, SP II, fully patched, I got on line fine like I do every
> day. Then the patch KB958644 downloaded from automatic updates and I choose
> to install it, rebooted and I could not get on-line. I repaired the
> connection from control panel/networking, and I got on once, albeit a slow
> broken up connection that lasted a minute or so, then no connection at all.
>
> I run an ATI 4 monitor MV2400 graphic card, 8 gig DDR800 Ram, Dual Core
> Intel 930 3 gig processor, and run AVAST antivirus, and spybot. This machine
> has been rock solid and is maybe a year old, give or take several months.
>
> I rebooted a second time, and could not get on again, including the windows
> update site. I tried rebooting several times and never got on again. Each
> time I would go into the control panel/networking and repair my connection.
> It seemed like it was successful repairing, but I never got online again, not
> even the microsoft update site.
>
> I did a complete system restore from yesterday, rebooted, and my machine was
> flying once again. I reinstalled the patch, rebooted, and never got on line
> once. I repeated this several times.
>
> Is anyone else having these problems? I had some xp issues with service pack
> III on one of my 5 machines, but nothing like this from a critical update,
> ever.
>
> Does anyone know what this update is supposed to address? I am guessing it
> messes with the internet connection somehow, but I am not current on this
> update.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Jim

"scstocks" <scstocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is anyone else having trouble with XP's latest critical service patch,
> KB958644 ?
>
> Issue 1.
>
> On my wireless laptop last night, a Dell 1505 running XP media SP3, as
> soon
> as I downloaded the patch and rebooted, my intel wireless pro icon went
> clear, from a normal operating green, and when I put my cursor over it, it
> said that a different program was controlling the intel wireless pro
> adapter.
> I have never seen that before or since, and I use that laptop every night.
> If I hadn't just downloaded the patch, I would have been more concerned.
> It
> got on-line fine, and the next time I booted, the normal green intel
> wireless
> icon appeared, without the wierd explanation. That laptop seems to be
> running ok today.
>

> Issue II.
>
> This morning when I got on my main machine, a 4 monitor trading machine
> running win xp64, SP II, fully patched, I got on line fine like I do every
> day. Then the patch KB958644 downloaded from automatic updates and I
> choose
> to install it, rebooted and I could not get on-line. I repaired the
> connection from control panel/networking, and I got on once, albeit a slow
> broken up connection that lasted a minute or so, then no connection at
> all.
>
> I run an ATI 4 monitor MV2400 graphic card, 8 gig DDR800 Ram, Dual Core
> Intel 930 3 gig processor, and run AVAST antivirus, and spybot. This
> machine
> has been rock solid and is maybe a year old, give or take several months.
>
> I rebooted a second time, and could not get on again, including the
> windows
> update site. I tried rebooting several times and never got on again.
> Each
> time I would go into the control panel/networking and repair my
> connection.
> It seemed like it was successful repairing, but I never got online again,
> not
> even the microsoft update site.
>
> I did a complete system restore from yesterday, rebooted, and my machine
> was
> flying once again. I reinstalled the patch, rebooted, and never got on
> line
> once. I repeated this several times.
>
> Is anyone else having these problems? I had some xp issues with service
> pack
> III on one of my 5 machines, but nothing like this from a critical update,
> ever.
>
> Does anyone know what this update is supposed to address? I am guessing it
> messes with the internet connection somehow, but I am not current on this
> update.
>
> Thanks for any help.

KB958644 was released on 10/22/2008. Here is what the Microsoft Download
Site says:

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated
remote attacker to compromise your Microsoft Windows-based system and gain
control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this
update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart
your computer.

This is the generic description of most security updates...
I installed KB958644 yesterday on my two systems. They are running without
problems.
Sorry, I have no idea what the patch does. Furthermore, if I did, I would
not post the patch details in a world wide newsgroup.
Jim

Harry Johnston [MVP]

scstocks wrote:

> Does anyone know what this update is supposed to address?

It's a security vulnerability which allows an authenticated remote attacker to
take control of your computer. It's considered urgent because it is already
being exploited and could be made into a worm, similar to Blaster.

Try downloading the update from the download center, installing it manually,
rebooting, uninstalling it (from add/remove programs, not a system restore),
rebooting, installing it again, rebooting. Apparently in some cases an
uninstall/reinstall cycle fixes issues with this update.

Harry.
MikeG

Re: KB958644 keeps kicking me off line.
Hi

I have a very similar problem.

Installed KB958644 (via auto window updates), reboot, then no internet
browsing capability.

Server 2003 x64 Standard, Intel Quad Core, 4GB Ram, AVG Antivirus.

IIS is delivering website no problem.

I have unstalled/rebooted/re-installed numerous times. Also with the
downloaded version from the Micrsoft website also.

Still no joy.

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks
MikeG

Re: KB958644 keeps kicking me off line.

Hi

Problem sorted, it was an issue with the latest update on AVG Anti Virus.

As it happened, the windows update and AVG update must happened at the same
time.

I presumed it was the Microsoft update which screwed things up (apologies
Microsoft!).

The AVG support page had a small fix:-
http://www.avg.com/support

Mike

Re: KB958644 keeps kicking me off line.
Are you running AVG AV Pro, AV & Firewall, or Internet Security, Mike?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

MikeG wrote:
> Hi
>
> Problem sorted, it was an issue with the latest update on AVG Anti Virus.
>
> As it happened, the windows update and AVG update must happened at the
> same
> time.
>
> I presumed it was the Microsoft update which screwed things up (apologies
> Microsoft!).
>
> The AVG support page had a small fix:-
> http://www.avg.com/support
>
> Mike

Robert Aldwinckle

"scstocks" <scstocks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2517E3F-7DEE-43BE-9F9A-ADDAF008AA14@microsoft.com...
> On issue 1, the laptop, it actually said "A different program is controlling
> the wireless adapter."

I think it would be useful to find out precisely what the "it" is.
E.g. that's the type of message a third-party firewall might produce
which was trying to prevent you from using a "Trojan" you might have
downloaded and started to run. In that case, you would have to do
whatever you need to to stop the firewall from doing that.
Or, if you didn't know how, you could uninstall the firewall product
and use the Microsoft firewall instead.

BTW if you want to find out what an update does there is a plethora
of information available using the links in the KB article involved.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=958644

Note that a KB article about an update now breaks out file version info
but the TechNet Bulletin still includes all the technical details
it has provided in the past.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> On issue II, my main machine running win xp64 SPII, the KB958644 patch was
> the only update it was doing. The machine was fully updated to that point
> and running great. Each time I restored the machine to yesterday's restore
> point, it gets on line fine. It will not get on line once the patch is
> installed. I run a cable modem with a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router, but I
> run this main machine hard cabled to the WRT54GS.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> "scstocks" wrote:
>
>> Is anyone else having trouble with XP's latest critical service patch,
>> KB958644 ?
>>
>> Issue 1.
>>
>> On my wireless laptop last night, a Dell 1505 running XP media SP3, as soon
>> as I downloaded the patch and rebooted, my intel wireless pro icon went
>> clear, from a normal operating green, and when I put my cursor over it, it
>> said that a different program was controlling the intel wireless pro adapter.
>> I have never seen that before or since, and I use that laptop every night.
>> If I hadn't just downloaded the patch, I would have been more concerned. It
>> got on-line fine, and the next time I booted, the normal green intel wireless
>> icon appeared, without the wierd explanation. That laptop seems to be
>> running ok today.
>>

>> Issue II.
>>
>> This morning when I got on my main machine, a 4 monitor trading machine
>> running win xp64, SP II, fully patched, I got on line fine like I do every
>> day. Then the patch KB958644 downloaded from automatic updates and I choose
>> to install it, rebooted and I could not get on-line. I repaired the
>> connection from control panel/networking, and I got on once, albeit a slow
>> broken up connection that lasted a minute or so, then no connection at all.
>>
>> I run an ATI 4 monitor MV2400 graphic card, 8 gig DDR800 Ram, Dual Core
>> Intel 930 3 gig processor, and run AVAST antivirus, and spybot. This machine
>> has been rock solid and is maybe a year old, give or take several months.
>>
>> I rebooted a second time, and could not get on again, including the windows
>> update site. I tried rebooting several times and never got on again. Each
>> time I would go into the control panel/networking and repair my connection.
>> It seemed like it was successful repairing, but I never got online again, not
>> even the microsoft update site.
>>
>> I did a complete system restore from yesterday, rebooted, and my machine was
>> flying once again. I reinstalled the patch, rebooted, and never got on line
>> once. I repeated this several times.
>>
>> Is anyone else having these problems? I had some xp issues with service pack
>> III on one of my 5 machines, but nothing like this from a critical update,
>> ever.
>>
>> Does anyone know what this update is supposed to address? I am guessing it
>> messes with the internet connection somehow, but I am not current on this
>> update.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.

gardavis

Re: KB958644 keeps kicking me off line.
This patch got installed in my Win Server 2008. The server could reach the
Internet OK but other computers could not reach the server (within my home
network). I turned off the Windows Firewall on the server and that fixed the
situation.

I am running ClamWin AV. I did not disable it.

Gary Davis
Kenact

Re: KB958644 keeps kicking me off line.
Mike,

Can you be a little more specific about the patch you got from AVG. I
searched their support and didn't find anything related to this issue.

Thanks,
Ken