Security Update KB958644 broke my wireless NIC!

Daniel

Security Update KB958644 broke my wireless NIC!
Background: 2.0GHz Celeron system with new virgin hard drive installed ±3-4
weeks ago, with new install of Windows XP Pro, the usual applications, and
all updates through and beyond SP3. Was working just fine, connecting to my
network and the Internet through a Linksys WUSB54GS USB wireless adapter --
until late last night when I installed the latest "emergency" Microsoft
critical security update (KB958644). Immediately after the security update,
Device Manager reported that the USB NIC failed to start or had stopped (i.e.
it wasn't "disabled").

I have tried unistalling all the Linksys drivers/software, then
re-installing with the latest available from their website, but each time,
the install stops with a message stating that "the name is already in use as
a service name or service display name. I also contacted Linksys online tech
support (again using another computer), and they advised me to check with
Microsoft. Found nothing in the MS Knowledge Base, and no other reports of
or solutions to similar problems, so here I am.

Has anyone out there experienced this problem? Any solutions?

-- Dan

Re: Security Update KB958644 broke my wireless NIC!
Are you certain that KB958644 installed successfully?

Are you certain that you only installed KB958644 last night?

Are you certain that all updates install since you installed WinXP and SP3
have installed successfully? (Successfully installed updates would be
listed in Add/Remove Programs if you check the SHOW UPDATES box).

If, in fact, KB958644 installed successfully, does uninstalling it resolve
the problem?

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB958644).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Daniel wrote:
> Background: 2.0GHz Celeron system with new virgin hard drive installed
> ±3-4
> weeks ago, with new install of Windows XP Pro, the usual applications, and
> all updates through and beyond SP3. Was working just fine, connecting to
> my
> network and the Internet through a Linksys WUSB54GS USB wireless
> adapter --
> until late last night when I installed the latest "emergency" Microsoft
> critical security update (KB958644). Immediately after the security
> update,
> Device Manager reported that the USB NIC failed to start or had stopped
> (i.e. it wasn't "disabled").
>
> I have tried unistalling all the Linksys drivers/software, then
> re-installing with the latest available from their website, but each time,
> the install stops with a message stating that "the name is already in use
> as
> a service name or service display name. I also contacted Linksys online
> tech support (again using another computer), and they advised me to check
> with Microsoft. Found nothing in the MS Knowledge Base, and no other
> reports of or solutions to similar problems, so here I am.
>
> Has anyone out there experienced this problem? Any solutions?
>
> -- Dan

Susan Bradley

Daniel wrote:
> Background: 2.0GHz Celeron system with new virgin hard drive installed ±3-4
> weeks ago, with new install of Windows XP Pro, the usual applications, and
> all updates through and beyond SP3. Was working just fine, connecting to my
> network and the Internet through a Linksys WUSB54GS USB wireless adapter --
> until late last night when I installed the latest "emergency" Microsoft
> critical security update (KB958644). Immediately after the security update,
> Device Manager reported that the USB NIC failed to start or had stopped (i.e.
> it wasn't "disabled").
>
> I have tried unistalling all the Linksys drivers/software, then
> re-installing with the latest available from their website, but each time,
> the install stops with a message stating that "the name is already in use as
> a service name or service display name. I also contacted Linksys online tech
> support (again using another computer), and they advised me to check with
> Microsoft. Found nothing in the MS Knowledge Base, and no other reports of
> or solutions to similar problems, so here I am.
>
> Has anyone out there experienced this problem? Any solutions?
>
> -- Dan

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling it.

Everyone that I've seen reporting this say that taking it off and then
putting it back on fixed it.
JOY2008

Re: Security Update KB958644 broke my wireless NIC!

You asked if anyone else had this problem.
Yes, this happened to me today.
I was able to correct it by using a backup.
My NIC is not wireless, it is just a standard NIC, but after installing
the "critical" update & restarting my pc, my NIC did not detect a
connection.

--
JOY2008
JOY2008's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/joy2008.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

IBM zOS system engineer

RE: Security Update KB958644 broke my wireless NIC!
I have a Linksys WUSB54GS wireless adapter and I am using free ZoneAlarm and
free AVG. When I install KB958644 I cannot connect to the wireless router I
received from Verizon, when I restore it off it works fine. XP Pro SP3

"Daniel" wrote:

> Background: 2.0GHz Celeron system with new virgin hard drive installed ±3-4
> weeks ago, with new install of Windows XP Pro, the usual applications, and
> all updates through and beyond SP3. Was working just fine, connecting to my
> network and the Internet through a Linksys WUSB54GS USB wireless adapter --
> until late last night when I installed the latest "emergency" Microsoft
> critical security update (KB958644). Immediately after the security update,
> Device Manager reported that the USB NIC failed to start or had stopped (i.e.
> it wasn't "disabled").
>
> I have tried unistalling all the Linksys drivers/software, then
> re-installing with the latest available from their website, but each time,
> the install stops with a message stating that "the name is already in use as
> a service name or service display name. I also contacted Linksys online tech
> support (again using another computer), and they advised me to check with
> Microsoft. Found nothing in the MS Knowledge Base, and no other reports of
> or solutions to similar problems, so here I am.
>
> Has anyone out there experienced this problem? Any solutions?
>
> -- Dan

Re: Security Update KB958644 broke my wireless NIC!
What version of ZA Free, please?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

IBM zOS system engineer wrote:
> I have a Linksys WUSB54GS wireless adapter and I am using free ZoneAlarm
> and
> free AVG. When I install KB958644 I cannot connect to the wireless router
> received from Verizon, when I restore it off it works fine. XP Pro SP3
>

> "Daniel" wrote:
>
>> Background: 2.0GHz Celeron system with new virgin hard drive installed
>> ±3-4
>> weeks ago, with new install of Windows XP Pro, the usual applications,
>> and
>> all updates through and beyond SP3. Was working just fine, connecting to
>> my network and the Internet through a Linksys WUSB54GS USB wireless
>> adapter -- until late last night when I installed the latest "emergency"
>> Microsoft critical security update (KB958644). Immediately after the
>> security update, Device Manager reported that the USB NIC failed to start
>> or had stopped (i.e. it wasn't "disabled").
>>
>> I have tried unistalling all the Linksys drivers/software, then
>> re-installing with the latest available from their website, but each
>> time,
>> the install stops with a message stating that "the name is already in use
>> as a service name or service display name. I also contacted Linksys
>> online tech support (again using another computer), and they advised me
>> check with Microsoft. Found nothing in the MS Knowledge Base, and no
>> other reports of or solutions to similar problems, so here I am.
>>
>> Has anyone out there experienced this problem? Any solutions?
>>
>> -- Dan

Daniel

Re: Security Update KB958644 broke my wireless NIC!
Pa Bear --

Yes, it was the only update installed; I know that because I ALWAYS check to
see what update(s) are being installed, and specifically remember doing so
before installing this one. I had anticipated this update as it had been
noted in some ZDNet newsletters. Upon completion, the update reported it was
successful, and prompted me to restart the system, which I did. I also
checked the update history, which indicates that this and all other updates
were successful -- except for SP1 to Office 2007, and the .NET Framework 3.0
(though the Add/Remove Programs applet does show .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 as
installed).

I've once again uninstalled the Linksys drivers/software, and will uninstall
the update shortly (the reboot will force me to log off the Discussion
Groups), and will let you know what results -- assuming I can get back online
after the update removal . . . .

-- Dan

**********************************
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you certain that KB958644 installed successfully?
>
> Are you certain that you only installed KB958644 last night?
>
> Are you certain that all updates install since you installed WinXP and SP3
> have installed successfully? (Successfully installed updates would be
> listed in Add/Remove Programs if you check the SHOW UPDATES box).
>
> If, in fact, KB958644 installed successfully, does uninstalling it resolve
> the problem?

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB958644).

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
> Daniel wrote:
> > Background: 2.0GHz Celeron system with new virgin hard drive installed
> > ±3-4
> > weeks ago, with new install of Windows XP Pro, the usual applications, and
> > all updates through and beyond SP3. Was working just fine, connecting to
> > my
> > network and the Internet through a Linksys WUSB54GS USB wireless
> > adapter --
> > until late last night when I installed the latest "emergency" Microsoft
> > critical security update (KB958644). Immediately after the security
> > update,
> > Device Manager reported that the USB NIC failed to start or had stopped
> > (i.e. it wasn't "disabled").
> >
> > I have tried unistalling all the Linksys drivers/software, then
> > re-installing with the latest available from their website, but each time,
> > the install stops with a message stating that "the name is already in use
> > as
> > a service name or service display name. I also contacted Linksys online
> > tech support (again using another computer), and they advised me to check
> > with Microsoft. Found nothing in the MS Knowledge Base, and no other
> > reports of or solutions to similar problems, so here I am.
> >
> > Has anyone out there experienced this problem? Any solutions?
> >
> > -- Dan

Daniel

Re: Security Update KB958644 broke my wireless NIC!
PA Bear --

Okay, I have uninstalled first the Linksys drivers & software, then after a
reboot, uninstalled the KB958644 update, and rebooted the computer again.
The yellow shield appeared almost immediately in the system tray, indicating
the update has once again been downloaded and is ready for installation,
which I have not yet done. I did, however, try re-loading the drivers &
software for the Linksys wireless USB NIC, and again received the same error
message that [verbatim] "An error occurred during the installation of the
device. The name is already in use either as a service name or a service
display name." Device Manager says that "drivers for this device were not
installed (Code 28)" and attemps to re-install the drivers, both
automatically and by manually specifying the driver location (i.e. to the
directory to which they were extracted) again produce the same "service name"
error message.

So, uninstalling the critical update did not correct the problem.

I still have not yet re-installed the critical update. Any thoughts?
Should I kick this one back to Linksys again?

-- Dan

P.S. Please note my prior reply regarding the successful install of the
KB958644 update (the answer was "yes").

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you certain that KB958644 installed successfully?
>
> Are you certain that you only installed KB958644 last night?
>
> Are you certain that all updates install since you installed WinXP and SP3
> have installed successfully? (Successfully installed updates would be
> listed in Add/Remove Programs if you check the SHOW UPDATES box).
>
> If, in fact, KB958644 installed successfully, does uninstalling it resolve
> the problem?

> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
> to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB958644).

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
> Daniel wrote:
> > Background: 2.0GHz Celeron system with new virgin hard drive installed
> > ±3-4
> > weeks ago, with new install of Windows XP Pro, the usual applications, and
> > all updates through and beyond SP3. Was working just fine, connecting to
> > my
> > network and the Internet through a Linksys WUSB54GS USB wireless
> > adapter --
> > until late last night when I installed the latest "emergency" Microsoft
> > critical security update (KB958644). Immediately after the security
> > update,
> > Device Manager reported that the USB NIC failed to start or had stopped
> > (i.e. it wasn't "disabled").
> >
> > I have tried unistalling all the Linksys drivers/software, then
> > re-installing with the latest available from their website, but each time,
> > the install stops with a message stating that "the name is already in use
> > as
> > a service name or service display name. I also contacted Linksys online
> > tech support (again using another computer), and they advised me to check
> > with Microsoft. Found nothing in the MS Knowledge Base, and no other
> > reports of or solutions to similar problems, so here I am.
> >
> > Has anyone out there experienced this problem? Any solutions?
> >
> > -- Dan

Re: Security Update KB958644 broke my wireless NIC!
I said nothing about uninstalling the Linksys drivers & software, Daniel.

> So, uninstalling the critical update did not correct the problem.

Did the problem persist after uninstalling the update *but before* you
started messing around with the NIC?

Could you connect directly via the router or modem before or after
uninstalling the update? Assuming you could, I'd get the update reinstalled
ASAP and then troubleshoot the problem with your NIC. Again, there's free
MS support available to you; see my previous reply.

MS08-067 is a VERY important update to have installed! See
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archiv...ected-now.aspx

It's much more important to be patched than have a working wireless
connection IMHO.
--
~PA Bear

Daniel wrote:
> [...]
>>> update,
>>> Device Manager reported that the USB NIC failed to start or had stopped
>>> (i.e. it wasn't "disabled").
>>>
>>> I have tried unistalling all the Linksys drivers/software, then
>>> re-installing with the latest available from their website, but each
>>> time,
>>> the install stops with a message stating that "the name is already in
>>> use
>>> as
>>> a service name or service display name. I also contacted Linksys online
>>> tech support (again using another computer), and they advised me to
>>> check
>>> with Microsoft. Found nothing in the MS Knowledge Base, and no other
>>> reports of or solutions to similar problems, so here I am.
>>>
>>> Has anyone out there experienced this problem? Any solutions?

Daniel

Re: Security Update KB958644 broke my wireless NIC!
PA Bear --

Yes, I could connect both via modem and via the local LAN (i.e. through the
hub & router) before the initial install of the KB958644 update. After the
wireless NIC stopped working, I connected the onboard 10/100 NIC to the LAN,
which has worked flawlessly throughout all this. I just tested the dial-up
modem, and that works okay as well.

Incidentally, during a recent reboot, the logoff/shutdown/restart promp
indicated an update was ready to install, and should be installed during
shutdown (but of course it didn't identify the update), so I followed the
prompt. After this was complete, and the system powered up once again, I
checked to see if the update installed was KB958644 (it was). Of course I
checked to see if there was any change in the status of the wireless NIC, and
it was non-functional just as before the update re-install.

Per your earlier post (and since the wireless NIC software and KB958644
update were both installed), I just tried uninstalling the update while the
wireless NIC software was installed, and the NIC connected. The update
uninstall detected the wireless NIC, and suggested that it might not work
after the uninstallation. But what the hey, it wasn't working anyway. So I
continued to uninstall the update, and rebooted when prompted. The wireless
NIC still doesn't work, Device Manager still says the drivers aren't
installed, and manually re-installing them again produces the same old error
message (after which Device Manager says they still aren't installed!).

Any more thoughts? Is this the time to contact MS support?

-- Dan