"Search Desktop" window in taskbar

John P.

"Search Desktop" window in taskbar
An automatic Windows update installed a "Search Desktop" box on my taskbar.
I don't want it (or, if I do--why?), and want to get rid of it (and whatever
it does in the background), but can find no information (that I can
understand) on how to do this...and what will happen if I do.
wb6vpm

Re: "Search Desktop" window in taskbar
On Oct 24, 10:10*am, John P. <John P...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> An automatic Windows update installed a "Search Desktop" box on my taskbar. *
> I don't want it (or, if I do--why?), and want to get rid of it (and whatever
> it does in the background), but can find no information (that I can
> understand) on how to do this...and what will happen if I do.

go to Add/Remove programs, look for "Windows Search x.x" (Where x.x is
the version that you have installed, current version is 4.0 i
believe)

the next time you run windows update, be sure to check the box to hide
this update, so it doesn't try to install it again.
John P.

Re: "Search Desktop" window in taskbar
Thanks, wb5vpm. Somehow I saw the long list of stuff under "Windows Update"
immediately following Windows Search, and thus overlooked Windows Search.

Before I delete the program, does anyone have an opinion on whether it's
worth keeping / using, or does it raise more privacy concens than it's worth?
(I have read what the Microsoft site says about it.) Is it more useful than
the Start > Search function (for my computer), and/or than the Search box on
web browsers (for the internet)?

JP

"wb6vpm" wrote:

> On Oct 24, 10:10 am, John P. <John P...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > An automatic Windows update installed a "Search Desktop" box on my taskbar.
> > I don't want it (or, if I do--why?), and want to get rid of it (and whatever
> > it does in the background), but can find no information (that I can
> > understand) on how to do this...and what will happen if I do.

> go to Add/Remove programs, look for "Windows Search x.x" (Where x.x is
> the version that you have installed, current version is 4.0 i
> believe)
>
> the next time you run windows update, be sure to check the box to hide
> this update, so it doesn't try to install it again.

williamtell

Re: "Search Desktop" window in taskbar
If you are using live.com and or outlook, keep your e-mails, it will prove
useful, right click the icon in your task bar and click help to learn about
it!
--
WT

"John P." wrote:

> Thanks, wb5vpm. Somehow I saw the long list of stuff under "Windows Update"
> immediately following Windows Search, and thus overlooked Windows Search.
>
> Before I delete the program, does anyone have an opinion on whether it's
> worth keeping / using, or does it raise more privacy concens than it's worth?
> (I have read what the Microsoft site says about it.) Is it more useful than
> the Start > Search function (for my computer), and/or than the Search box on
> web browsers (for the internet)?
>
> JP
>
> "wb6vpm" wrote:
>
> > On Oct 24, 10:10 am, John P. <John P...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> > > An automatic Windows update installed a "Search Desktop" box on my taskbar.
> > > I don't want it (or, if I do--why?), and want to get rid of it (and whatever
> > > it does in the background), but can find no information (that I can
> > > understand) on how to do this...and what will happen if I do.

> > go to Add/Remove programs, look for "Windows Search x.x" (Where x.x is
> > the version that you have installed, current version is 4.0 i
> > believe)
> >
> > the next time you run windows update, be sure to check the box to hide
> > this update, so it doesn't try to install it again.

Rojo Habe

Re: "Search Desktop" window in taskbar
If you just wand to get it off your taskbar, right-click the taskbar, go to
Toolbars and untick 'Windows Search Deskbar". If you want to get rid of it
altogether then go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and remove
Windows Search 4.0